• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold 1.1-8x24 Mark 8 CQBSS

Re: Leupold 1.1-8x24 Mark 8 CQBSS

I think that like all things money is a relative thing. Like all things it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. There are people on this site that have more money in optics than I have in my entire collection. So someone may buy it, it won't be me but that doesn't mean it's completely off base. I guess what I'm saying is I'm tired of all the bitching lately by people about expensive tools/kit (leupold 1.1-8, MSR, ect...)if you think it's overpriced then don't buy it. Let your money do the talking. Sales dictate market which dictate pricing. I doubt snipershide is the primary target audience for this optic. The people that pushed and identified a need for an optic like this are not paying for the optic with their own personal paychecks. They're out there taking the fight to the enemy, not taking potshots at a manufacturer from behind a keyboard. If a manufacturer (or person) has ridiculous pricing then they will find themselves out of business. However just because something is extremely expensive doesn't mean that there is not a market for it. but last time i checked Leupold is a pretty healthy brand economically speaking. Sititunga for whatever reason hates leupold. I don't know if he thinks his rants will change peoples minds. But i've found in life that the person stomping their feet and shouting the loudest seldom say anything worth listening to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sititunga for whatever reason hates leupold. I don't know if he thinks his rants will change peoples minds. But i've found in life that the person stomping their feet and shouting the loudest seldom say anything worth listening to. </div></div>

It's a completely absurd statement to make that I hate Leupold, there is nothing remotely in any of my posts that suggests this. As I have said I own a number of their scopes the point of my rant is that I think they have lost the plot on pricing which I believe is a huge marketing blunder. While this might not necessarily impact their military sales, because of our buy American policy, it will impact their sales to the civilian market (IMO) especially as their pricing creeps up past some of the traditional high-end makers. The Mk 8 aside, some of their Mk 4 stuff is now on par price wise with S&B and Hansoldt and as such looking at various forum polls and threads believe they will meet strong head winds trying to sell at those price levels. In short Leupold has a quality perception problem amongst those people who are looking to spend $2k plus on a scope - they need to address this as a priority before charging the earth for their products.

So what if S&B comes out in May (which year ? :)?

I can wait 12 months to let every manufacturer get their bugs worked out and price levels to stabilize and only THEN choose what to buy. Because I live in Europe I will probably get the S&B 1-8X24 for 50% less than Leupold. I would be quite happy with that.

4kUSD for a scope which does not have NV-capability or LRF with ballistic calculator built-in is just funny. Sounds like DarkOps Counter Sniper-scope pricing.

EDIT: In 18 months we will be having 250 USD scopes offering 1-10X zoom range. That is not today but soon enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem comes when you are trying to compare apples and oranges as the Mark 8 is not simply another scope in the lineup. The Mark 8 is likely the most costly and complex optic Leupold has designed, marketed, and produced to date. So to assume that the current pricing is not as equally competitive as there other products is impossible. The $ price may very well reflect all the economies of scale as well.</div></div>

So I guess what you are saying is that the stella prices they are now asking for their new Mark 4 line ($2800 - $3300 depending on model) employ this new over-the-top technology that has catapulted the quality of their scopes over the likes of S&B and Hensoldt. </div></div>

No, what I am saying is that your ASSumption that Leupold's pricing is based on gouging the customer is absurd.

For all the information you have the pricing may be below their cost.

Furthermore, this thread started over the Mark 8. Currently their is no comparable product available to the market. To insist on comparing the scope to vaporware is ridiculous in the extreme.

Feel free to fabricate another response that is even farther away from the argument but as it stands, the Mark 8 beat the competition, and is obviously priced at a point where the targeted audience feels it is a value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR makes a 1.5-8x26 with a 35mm tube that has been out for a while. So the Leupold is not the only one on the market. </div></div>

Yep IOR does make a 1.5-8x SFP but it is not the same as a 1-8x or a 1.1-8x. That extra 0.5x makes a difference in functionality and price. I really like the IOR 1.5-8x it is one of my favorite scopes of theirs.
Every time I have talked to an optic maker about make a scope with a zoom ration like this they say there are a lot of factors that go into it along with an exorbitant amount of cost. Some of the issues are optical distortion of the image and room in the scope to build the system.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like Leupold will sell quite a few to Uncle Sam. New optic for the M2 and MK19....</div></div>

Yeah 728 of them to the USMC to start...

And this doesn't includ the 20-30 here and there for individual units (DMR role). No doubt that this is a NPV positive project for Leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like Leupold will sell quite a few to Uncle Sam. New optic for the M2 and MK19....</div></div>

Yeah 728 of them to the USMC to start...

And this doesn't includ the 20-30 here and there for individual units (DMR role). No doubt that this is a NPV positive project for Leupold. </div></div>

I'll bet with 728 on order Leupold really wishes they had priced them $1,000 lower now
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love this optic. The Horus version is my new go-to for most anything I need to test quick. I've been using at least one of these CQBSS optics for the last 8 months and have added it to my wish list for my M1A SOCOM set in the EBR chassis. if it just wasn't so expensive...

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
SIP Division, InterMedia Outdoors </div></div>

Do you normally put Pirellis on Ford Pintos?

For that much money I'd sure as hell hope their MK 8 QC is better than it is on the MK 4 series. Mine just went back due to dust on the reticle. I know I expect better than that.

Do keep in mind that Leupold does make many times more scopes than any of the high end manufacturers, the numbers are so different that Leupold could have half the percentage of defects as any other manufacturer and they would still have many times more reported quality issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A question for you Mark-8 aficionados. Does anyone know if Leupold's new VX-R line of scopes (specifically the 1.25-4x20, with the the FireDot reticle) have daylight visible illuminated reticles?

link

</div></div>

Complete with photos from a source I trust here. 11th post down.

Also Bill Wilson was talking about really liking the 3-9 model for shooting hogs, some interesting insights from him here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like Leupold will sell quite a few to Uncle Sam. New optic for the M2 and MK19.... </div></div>

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout...and-mk19-sight/

Mason @ CST </div></div>

So the military paid $3400 a scope, which will make it the most expensive general purpose scope ever purchased by the military! Should have waited for S&B's 1-8 which would have allowed them for the same money to outfit another 500 rifles or M2s.

Redmanss said:
The military doesn't pay MSRP..... [/quote

From my understanding the miltary paid $2.48 million for 728 scopes. $2.48m divided by 728 = $3400/scope.

The 3400 sounds about right, I found a place that does mil/le pricing and they were around that price, even with the horus ret.
So anyone heard when SB and Premier will come out with their optics? I have seen the estimated pricing online, but whats to say that the prices wont go up since the scopes are in redesign? or being upgraded to compete or out compete the Leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 3400 sounds about right, I found a place that does mil/le pricing and they were around that price, even with the horus ret.
So anyone heard when SB and Premier will come out with their optics? I have seen the estimated pricing online, but whats to say that the prices wont go up since the scopes are in redesign? or being upgraded to compete or out compete the Leupold. </div></div>

June is the word from S&B and apparently they are holding on the price.

Cool if SB will be out in June, I wont hold my breath. I will be waiting until I get to see all three and get some reviews before I will dive in for my KAC EMC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 3400 sounds about right, I found a place that does mil/le pricing and they were around that price, even with the horus ret.
So anyone heard when SB and Premier will come out with their optics? I have seen the estimated pricing online, but whats to say that the prices wont go up since the scopes are in redesign? or being upgraded to compete or out compete the Leupold. </div></div>
Wrong...

The mil price is less than a S&B short dot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like Leupold will sell quite a few to Uncle Sam. New optic for the M2 and MK19.... </div></div>

Mason @ CST </div></div>

So the military paid $3400 a scope, which will make it the most expensive general purpose scope ever purchased by the military! Should have waited for S&B's 1-8 which would have allowed them for the same money to outfit another 500 rifles or M2s. </div></div>

Your brilliance shines so bright, I gotta wear shades.

So your logic works like this. In 2009 the military put out a scope spec to be met in 2010. Company A meets the spec and produces the scope. The military purchases the scope from company A.

Yet your argument is that if they just wait 2, 3, maybe 4 years company B might produce the scope at a more economical price point.

Who could find fault in that......with a brain like yours, you ought to be in charge....

as a nod to Nobody ....... Laffin
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like Leupold will sell quite a few to Uncle Sam. New optic for the M2 and MK19.... </div></div>

Mason @ CST </div></div>

So the military paid $3400 a scope, which will make it the most expensive general purpose scope ever purchased by the military! Should have waited for S&B's 1-8 which would have allowed them for the same money to outfit another 500 rifles or M2s. </div></div>

Your brilliance shines so bright, I gotta wear shades.

So your logic works like this. In 2009 the military put out a scope spec to be met in 2010. Company A meets the spec and produces the scope. The military purchases the scope from company A.

Yet your argument is that if they just wait 2, 3, maybe 4 years company B might produce the scope at a more economical price point.

Who could find fault in that......with a brain like yours, you ought to be in charge....

wink.gif
</div></div>

Whatever!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 3400 sounds about right, I found a place that does mil/le pricing and they were around that price, even with the horus ret.
Wrong...

The mil price is less than a S&B short dot. </div></div>

If the military paid $2.48 million for 728 scopes how can the price be less than the S&B short-dot.

Unless I've got my math wrong $2.48 million divided by 728 = $3400/scope for the CQBSS. S&B's 1-8 has an MSRP of $2599.

Can't speak to what they payed for those since they are custom models with M-TMR reticles. (M = Marine Corps)
mtmr.jpg

Extra cost was likely for the R&D involved in creating it for them.
Haven't looked, but that may also include the mounts as well.

The price tag that I speak of is what they are currently listed at for regular production models.
(Your S&B number is pretty close though...)

Here is the actual document:
https://www.neco.navy.mil/synopsis_file/M67854-11-P-1004_J_and_A_for_Post_Award_release_HDO.pdf

Price per unit: $3,150 + $50,000 for parts & spares.
(HDO: $3,150 x 728 = $2,293,200 + $50,000 = $2,343,200)
That was for a custom designed turn key solution for the M2 & Mk19.
This solution included 728 all inclusive HDO kits complete with cases, accesories, and spares.

Again, the regular production models are not priced the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the actual document:
https://www.neco.navy.mil/synopsis_file/M67854-11-P-1004_J_and_A_for_Post_Award_release_HDO.pdf

Price per unit: $3,150 + $50,000 for parts & spares.
(HDO: $3,150 x 728 = $2,293,200 + $50,000 = $2,343,200)
That was for a custom designed turn key solution for the M2 & Mk19.
This solution included 728 all inclusive HDO kits complete with cases, accesories, and spares.

Again, the regular production models are not priced the same.

</div></div>

Thanks - that's interesting, but's that's still more expensive than the S&B, unless S&B were offering something different when this came up for contract. At $3150 it's still the most expensive general purpose scope the military has bought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 3400 sounds about right, I found a place that does mil/le pricing and they were around that price, even with the horus ret.
Wrong...

The mil price is less than a S&B short dot. </div></div>

The 3400 was what I saw with the Horus reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 3400 was what I saw with the Horus reticle </div></div>
It is lower than that, but not by much...

<span style="font-style: italic">The Wheels on the Bus go round and round, round and round... </span>

You have to taken circular discussions to a new high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">The Wheels on the Bus go round and round, round and round... </span>

You have to taken circular discussions to a new high. </div></div>

What do you mean?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I actually have a 1.1-8 CQB-SS with the M-TMR reticle. Only shot it under 100 yards so far and in the 3-gun match I shot I didn't have to switch magnifications, so I didn't get a chance to test that attribute. In 'clearing' my house a few times, the 1.1 works like advertised, two eyes open works fine. The lack of the center red dot in the M-TMR reticle and the illumination of the reticle features not being daylight bright I think severely hampers the scope being a "T-1 Replacement". I have looked thru the Horus/Red dot version and it was closer to T-1 status, but the dot would go from Red to green as your eye got off axis. Pretty generous eye relief and head position at 1X. Was able to use it in a Brokeback Prone position pretty effectively at about 4-6x mag.

Nice scope, clear glass, but it is not the Messiah glass that some tout it to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your brilliance shines so bright, I gotta wear shades.

wink.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually have a 1.1-8 CQB-SS with the M-TMR reticle. Only shot it under 100 yards so far and in the 3-gun match I shot I didn't have to switch magnifications, so I didn't get a chance to test that attribute. In 'clearing' my house a few times, the 1.1 works like advertised, two eyes open works fine. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">The lack of the center red dot in the M-TMR reticle and the illumination of the reticle features not being daylight bright I think severely hampers the scope being a "T-1 Replacement". I have looked thru the Horus/Red dot version and it was closer to T-1 status, but the dot would go from Red to green as your eye got off axis</span>.</span></span> Pretty generous eye relief and head position at 1X. Was able to use it in a Brokeback Prone position pretty effectively at about 4-6x mag.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Nice scope, clear glass, but it is not the Messiah glass that some tout it to be.</span></span> </div></div></span>
Sounds like Leupold haven't quite nailed it then. Maybe we'll find out in June with S&B's offering that not only have they produced a scope at a better price point, but one that has had all the bugs worked out of it, what do you reckon <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">smokshwn</span></span> ?

I really don't see what the debate is here. The military put out a contract for a scope with x-capabilities due by x-date. Only one company produced a scope that met those capabilities by the deadline. It doesn't matter what (insert brand name here) is SUPPOSEDLY producing in the future. They want the scopes right now. Leupold produced the others didn't. So pricing is irrelevant. The old "a bird in the hand" quote springs to mind. Come to think of it I don't know why I'm even writing this as I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sounds like Leupold haven't quite nailed it then. Maybe we'll find out in June with S&B's offering that not only have they produced a scope at a better price point, but one that has had all the bugs worked out of it, what do you reckon <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">smokshwn</span></span> ? </div></div>

I reckon you're still a dumbass, even more so that you have become desperate enough to cling to one internet forum review to justify your ill conceived opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I reckon you're still a dumbass...</div></div>

I'm not going to be spending $4k, or even $3k on a Leupold to stick on my AR, but it sounds like you might. Maybe you should take a look at yourself in the mirror.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm not going to be spending $4k, or even $3k on a Leupold to stick on my AR, but it sounds like you might. Maybe you should take a look at yourself in the mirror.
smile.gif
</div></div>

You're not very good at this are you? (you don't need to answer, it is rhetorical)

Spending $3-$4k on a tool that can help you perform your duty better doesn't make someone a dumbass. Ignoring facts does.

So far here is a list of the facts you ignore in a desperate effort to fuel your mindless dislike of Leupold.

1) Leupold produced the superior product for the aforementioned contract.
2) Leupold brought that scope to market well in advance of any comparable competitor.
3) It is still 3 months before a comparable competitor is likely to deliver a similar optic to market.
4) Noone on this board (not even you) has any idea as to the details of Leupold pricing on the scope. However it has been proposed by many that the R&D for this scope was quite high and that, coupled with the fee for using the Horus reticle, could easily explain the high price.
5) Many learned individuals have commented that the Leupold optic in question is a very high quality product and in their opinion appears to worth the asking price.
6) Incessantly reiterating an opinion based on emotion in a desperate attempt to make it true only makes you pitiful.

Oh....almost forgot, you'll also need THIS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

smile.gif
</div></div>

You're not very good at this are you? (you don't need to answer, it is rhetorical)

Spending $3-$4k on a tool that can help you perform your duty better doesn't make someone a dumbass. Ignoring facts does.

So far here is a list of the facts you ignore in a desperate effort to fuel your mindless dislike of Leupold.

1) Leupold produced the superior product for the aforementioned contract.
2) Leupold brought that scope to market well in advance of any comparable competitor.
3) It is still 3 months before a comparable competitor is likely to deliver a similar optic to market.
4) Noone on this board (not even you) has any idea as to the details of Leupold pricing on the scope. However it has been proposed by many that the R&D for this scope was quite high and that, coupled with the fee for using the Horus reticle, could easily explain the high price.
5) Many learned individuals have commented that the Leupold optic in question is a very high quality product and in their opinion appears to worth the asking price.
6) Incessantly reiterating an opinion based on emotion in a desperate attempt to make it true only makes you pitiful.

Oh....almost forgot, you'll also need THIS </div></div>

tired.gif
Yawn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Oh....almost forgot, you'll also need THIS </div></div>
That was epic.

Guys what is the latest on the 1-8x scope situation. I am trying to catch up on the latest. I see that Leopold won the USMC contract and S&B's 1-8x is delayed again (surprise) until Sept / Oct.

Anyone actually have a 1-8 leopold? How you you guys like it? I am thinking of ordering one.

Easiest way for me to put it is "If you removed the leupold branding, you would think it was made by the germans"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easiest way for me to put it is "If you removed the leupold branding, you would think it was made by the germans" </div></div>

and you are up late.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easiest way for me to put it is "If you removed the leupold branding, you would think it was made by the germans" </div></div>

Zee Germans Ja wohl isnt Fred Leupold a German? so technically... Im still looking at these for one of my rifles.

I've played with Premier's 1.1-8. The dot is as bright as a traditional red dot from 1-2.5 power and then it switches to the mil dot reticle.

You guys may want to check it out when it's available.

It's good enough that I've got 2 coming.

I have a Loopy 1-8.

A touch on the heavy side, but all in all a good scope. Looks right at home on my 18" OBR.

When the S&B 1-8 comes out I am guessing the Leupold will be gone.

I was going to put one on my MWS, until I reread the reticle is for a 77gr 5.56, which would work perfect on my 16" 5.56 AR, but it would stil leave me looking for a setup for my MWS
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstennes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to put one on my MWS, until I reread the reticle is for a 77gr 5.56, which would work perfect on my 16" 5.56 AR, but it would stil leave me looking for a setup for my MWS
frown.gif
</div></div>

This has the TMR reticle and the Horus that are Mil based and would work with anything, The Ballistic Cams are set up for different calibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstennes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to put one on my MWS, until I reread the reticle is for a 77gr 5.56, which would work perfect on my 16" 5.56 AR, but it would stil leave me looking for a setup for my MWS
frown.gif
</div></div>

This has the TMR reticle and the Horus that are Mil based and would work with anything, The Ballistic Cams are set up for different calibers. </div></div>
I figured that like Leupolds other scopes with the TMR, but it was the best I had to keep convincing myself to "just say no". I sd a couple safe queens and really could do one, and since S&Bs isn't out and not really sure when, I have to keep talking myself out of one.