• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4 10X

Grumulkin

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a question for you real scope experts. A fixed power Leupold Mark 4 10X sells for about $1,500 but you can buy an illuminated Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10X variable scope for about the same money. What is it about the fixed 10X that justifies as much money as the variable?

Re: Leupold Mark 4 10X

I'm not a scope expert, but I do own both models of Mark 4 scopes you've mentioned.

The 10x has a beefier turret housing, and the clicks are more positive. Perhaps the internals are a little better in the 10x.

I've wondered the same thing myself.

im not sure either about the price difference, but they are not the same,

the true MK4 line was the 10x (Ultra), 16x and 20x(?) fixed scopes.

several years back, leupold took the Vari-X III and renamed it MK-4. so really they are not the actual lineage of optics, it's been a long day so i hope i remembered it right.

hope this .02 helps

Older 10X were very nice, my retired-marine-deaf-as-a-post-half-insane-geezer neighbor has 3 of them on various rifles. The construction and glass seems to be better vs. the newer mk4 I have seen.

As far as the new ones go I have no clue why they cost so much, sorry. Maybe that's what they sell them to Uncle Sam for?

Grum-
For most of us a high end fixed power scope is a reminder of a past era. Back when tactical rifles were heavy rather long barreled actions bolted into a heavy stock fixed power scopes were consider the best because they were heavy, simple and rugged.

These days variable scopes are very reliable and few military users have stuck with fixed 10s. You would be better served by a variable, and as much as I like my Loopies I can't say I think the new cost rates give me a warm fuzzy, (but then again I think the new super sniper variable is a tad high so maybe I am cheap)

Why the modern variable scopes cost what they do is a puzzle to many but if enough people are willing to pay that much I doubt the scopes will come down in price.

Thanks for all the replies.

I actually have several Leupold Mark 4 scopes. Three, if I remember correctly, are 3.5-10X and one a 2.5-8X and I've been quite happy with all of them. I was just wondering if there was so much of advantage with the Mark 4 10X scope that I should try one. I guess you all have answered that question. Maybe I'd try one but it would have to cost less than the variable versions that I've purchased used very reasonably.

Been wondering the same thing too, I recently got a 10x40 TMR. I really love the TMR reticle, but otherwise it's crap for the price. Glass quality in my NXS beats the leupy hands down plus the turret clicks at least in my leupy are very tight and mushy.

And yes, the price is insane. You can get 3-12 PMII cheaper than 10x40 leupy here in Finland
smile.gif

Leupold is going to be dropping this line accept for one model that is under contract to the Military still.

When they first came out these scopes were one of the toughest scopes on the market and variable scopes were not as reliable. The thought was fewer the parts the more reliable it will be. For the most part this is still true but scope makers have gotten much better at making scopes. Now most variable power scopes are just as tough as a fixed scope.

Mike @ CST

I've got an old leupold fixed 10xm3a and a mk4 3.5-10x which is about 7 years old. At 10x I find the fixed power scope to be noticeable clearer. However if the variable is reduced in magnification a little then they are close. The fixed power only slightly edges out the variable. It all depends on your intended uses. Either should get the job done.

Buy a MK4 6.5-20x50 M1 TMR used and call it good. Plenty show up around 1k here in the classifieds.

I had both a Mark 4 10X M3 and a Mark 4 3.5-10x40 M3. They are great scopes and served me well in Tactical and FT/R. I had no issues with them at all. The new variable Mark 4's are stout, but it all depends what you're going to use the scope for. I sold them both in order to get an S&B 3-20 PMII. The Mil/Mil reticle and turret match were the most important aspects for me.

My .02's