• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x50mm M5 opinions?

Narwhal

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi,

I'm very close to buying this scope to put atop a Remington 700P LTR 20" .308 on a badger ordnance 20 MOA base. I just purchased the rifle today.

It's the scope seen HERE with a mil dot reticle (110081).

Primarily I will use this rifle for medium to long range target shooting from 50 to 1000 yards max and perhaps an occasional deer hunt although I don't hunt that often. I plan to take a few long range rifle clinics at a local 1000 yard range and hope this rifle will be serviceable for that.

I did a search and haven't seen much said about this particular model from Leupold. As I said, I'll be getting the Mil-Dot reticle, model number 110081.

Does anyone have any reviews they can link to? Is this scope generally considered good to go? I just wanted to make sure before I dump almost $1500 on it. I'm not really that interested in possible alternatives but if you believe I'm really barking up the wrong tree with this optic, feel free to say so and list something better.

Thanks!

Re: Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x50mm M5 opinions?

Forget the old school Mildot and get a Leupold FFP TMR model or perhaps a used Nightforce.

I think you're making a good choice. I have the same set-up in 6.5-20. I find that the extra magnification is useful to me and I don't lose that much field of view at the low end. The mil-dot is fine but if you expect to do much ukd shooting, the tmr is better in terms of target measurement.
Mike

Primary consideration would be your budget.

For >1500$ you enter the Nightforce,IOR,Bushnell HDMR,etc ballpark as well.

What would be the most your willing to spend?

I think it's a good choice with M5 turrets if you want to use a mil based reticle.

Ahh, OK, I thought the Mil-Dot would be better for range estimation; I'll look for a TMR instead, which makes sense when I think about it. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Primary consideration would be your budget.

For >1500$ you enter the Nightforce,IOR,Bushnell HDMR,etc ballpark as well.

Are going with .1 MRAD turrets? What would be the most your willing to spend?

I think it's a good choice with M5 turrets if you want to use a mil based reticle.
</div></div>

Yeah, I'm going with the .1 MRAD (m5?) turrets. I thought that's what M5 meant, but I could be wrong (complete novice).

Budget wise, I'm trying to keep the whole project under $3000, $900 for the rifle, $250 for rings and a base, $100 for a harris bipod, which leaves roughly $1750 for optics.

Like ACE31 mentionned, Nightforce is also a good choice.

Especially for a 1750$ budget. That's what I would do.

Best Regards

Nightforce gets my vote as well. I had this exact same optic you are looking for, and I ended up selling it because of tracking issues.

All right, I think I've settled on a Nightforce NXS. I almost feel guilty putting it on a sub-$1000 rifle but I think it's the best for what I want to do. I've yet to see anyone say a bad thing about these, and it's almost unanimous that the glass is "better" than Leupold's.

I'm going for the 3.5-15x50mm (since I already have seekins low rings and am afraid the 56mm wouldn't fit), Mil-Mil with the MLR reticle.

Good choice? Thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Narwhal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All right, I think I've settled on a Nightforce NXS. I almost feel guilty putting it on a sub-$1000 rifle but I think it's the best for what I want to do. I've yet to see anyone say a bad thing about these, and it's almost unanimous that the glass is "better" than Leupold's.

I'm going for the 3.5-15x50mm (since I already have seekins low rings and am afraid the 56mm wouldn't fit), Mil-Mil with the MLR reticle.

Good choice? Thoughts?</div></div>

NSX is always a good choice (IMO) But keep in mind you just went from a FFP to a SFP unless your talking about an F1 NF in which case your budget just took a hit.

Oh damn, I figured the NXS would be FFP. Ha, this isn't easy.

Pros and Cons on FFP vs SFP

I find the 5.5-22x NF NXS to be worth losing the FFP, the reticle is very nice and crisp,you can multiply subtention values easily,like Terry Cross has mentioned in articles.

As mentioned, If you're willing to stretch the budget a bit and want an FFP the 3.5-15x50 F1 is nice.