• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mark 4 Spotting Scope Mil-dot Reticle?

Lexington

Just Some Guy
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2005
Spotsylvania, Virginia
I have an older Gold Ring that has a mil-dot reticle with round dots and hash marks every half mil. The Leupold web site shows the Mark 4 spotter with a mil-dot reticle with no half mil hash marks, but the image is just a drawing. I have not found another image online.

Do the newer Mark 4 spotters have hashes between the dots, or are they just dots every 1 mil?

<span style="font-weight: bold">My present Gold Ring scope.</span>
GoldRingReticle006reduced.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Leupold Mark 4 Spotting Scope Mil-dot Reticle?

I've read a lot of bad reviews about Webyshops. So, tell me about the mil-dot reticle markings.

No worries guys. I have received a picture from someone that shows the Mark 4 spotter mil-dot reticle. It has only dots every 1 mil out to 5 mils in all directions and then ends. There are no half-mil marks. The Gold Ring's major vertical and horizontal lines extend to the edge of the field of view, and the Mark 4 do not. Just an observation.

Premier reticle used to put this reticle in the golden ring spotter
I have an old Premier reticle catalog i can send you if you want to.
Just shoot me a pm with you email.

Thanks JP67. Your catalog from 2004 conclusively proves the Gold Ring spotter I just acquired is identical to Premier product #47878G with a Gen 2 mildot reticle. The serial number indicates that Leupold made the scope in 2002. I've sent it to Leupold for some minor service. It'll be interesting to see if they say anything about it.

PremierReticles47878GGen2small_zps3fd4de48.jpg

No worries guys. I have received a picture from someone that shows the Mark 4 spotter mil-dot reticle. It has only dots every 1 mil out to 5 mils in all directions and then ends. There are no half-mil marks. The Gold Ring's major vertical and horizontal lines extend to the edge of the field of view, and the Mark 4 do not. Just an observation.

I have one of the Leupold "military overrun" spotters from webyshops that PSYOPS linked to. The reticle is identified as duplex mil-dot. It does have the half mil hash marks between the full mil dots, up to 5 mils. Then it's a thick black bar with hash marks every 5 mils and stops at 15 mils from the cross-hair center. It's almost exactly like Premier's Gen II mil-dot, except the fine cross-hair is solid all the way through.

Through the glass pics showing the reticle:

At 20X:
j5j91s.jpg

At 40X:
28kuhhc.jpg

I've seen official through-the-glass pics of actual Leupold spotters that the military uses and the reticle's exactly the same as the above photos. Leupold does offer a basic mil-dot reticle without the half-mil hash marks though. But you can definitely get the full "gen II" mil-dot features from a Leupold spotter.

Last edited:
kft101: do you find the thick cross-hair distracting? Is it blocking the view?

I think this is really dependent on what purpose you're using the spotter for, and to a certain extent, user preference. If you're looking for a full, unobstructed view (for the fullest and clearest view of the observation subject, or to take pictures with, etc), then having a reticle, regardless of which one, in the center of the optic can be a nuisance. But if you're looking for some type of built-in ranging or measuring option, then it's the way to go.

If you're worried about having any part of the reticle getting in the way of the view, you can always observe the subject centered in one of the quadrants of the optic.

As far as glass quality of these Leupold spotters, they're good for what they are, in my opinion. Not really HD quality, but good enough and built pretty tough. The "military overrun" model I have has the black rubberized exterior body, with everything blackened (metal objective ring, Leupold markings).

Hows the glass on these? Have seen some pretty good deals on them. What type yardage you going out with them?

I really like these spotters. They are the Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60 #67180. For the price these are a STEAL!!

The glass is very, very good!! On Thursday I was spotting goats at 2500 yards with this. I am thoroughly impressed with this spotter. If you can find one, BUY IT!!

*UPDATE*

My scope has finally worked its way through the Leupold backlog. They will not repair it under warranty because it has a third-party reticle in it, and they will not repair it for a price unless they replace the Premier reticle so they can reinstate the warranty. The cost to replace the reticle with a TMR is $400.

I called Premier and they stopped doing that work 5 years ago, since they became Armament Technology Incorporated. Instead they referred me to a mom-and-pop shop in Ohio called Parson’s Scope Service.

So I’m screwed. I can use the scope the way it is or pay $400 to bring it back to spec. I coulda shoulda bought a new one.

Are there any other ideas?

Try Mike Sexton at Ironsight, explain the problem and see if there are any options. As for Parsons, Gil passed away several years ago, even when he was alive the wait was very long, not sure whos doing the work there now.

Psyops, thanks alot a$$hole you just made me spend $1213.00. I really appreciate it I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on one of these for a while. I'll post up my impressions when it comes in. By the way was yours new or used that you got?

Psyops, thanks alot a$$hole you just made me spend $1213.00. I really appreciate it I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on one of these for a while. I'll post up my impressions when it comes in. By the way was yours new or used that you got?

Mine was brand new! In kind of a generic military box.

You're gonna love this spotter! Let us know how you like it!

Mine was brand new! In kind of a generic military box.

You're gonna love this spotter! Let us know how you like it!

Thanks and I will. I've used old beat up Mark 4 spotters before that still looked amazing. I can't wait to get it in. It'll be a hell of a lot nicer than the cheap surplus one I have now I'm sure.

Lexington,

What exactly is wrong with the scope? What were you having repaired? Or do you just want a different reticle?

Last edited:
The rubber eye cup is torn and the focus ring has a gritty feel when turned. The seller did not advertise the Premier reticle and so I think he didn’t know what it was. I never asked for a picture of the reticle, expecting it to be a standard Leupold mil-dot. So I bought the scope with a known tear, unknown grittiness, and a surprise third-party reticle. The only real disappointment was that I discovered the whole eyepiece/reticle housing was loose and would cant when the focus ring encountered the end of its travel in either direction.

So I sent it to Leupold and ordered a new eye cup, cleaning and maintenance, and a fix to the loose housing. If Leupold wouldn’t cover it under warranty, then I was willing to pay the price for service. Well, Leupold apparently will not service anything unless they can bring it back into factory compliance and preserve (or reinstate, in my case) the warranty.

I have $900 into the scope and I’m looking at $400 to change the reticle to TMR since Leupold won’t service and re-warranty it the way it sits. They say that they will have to open the scope to fix the loose housing and they can’t work with the Premier reticle, and must replace it in order to complete the service and give a new lifetime warranty.

I’ve been trading a long time and I’ve won a few and lost a few. This is one of my marginal purchases given the situation, but I will get the lifetime warranty out of the deal, making the scope more readily transferrable to someone else in the future. More than likely, I’ll keep it for years.

Tough spot. If you bought it with the implication that it was in good shape and would carry a Leupold warranty and then found out about the grittiness and the loose housing I would talk to the seller. That's 3 strikes against what you were sold. Leupold will return you a good scope if they work on it but if they do you'll be in it a lot more than a Mark 4 spotter. Webby shops gets crap for their service but the product is Leupold.

I purchased the same scope that PsyOps mentions and it is so much better than what I was using. While it may not be in the same catagory as a Ziess etc it was as much as I need now and very reasonably priced.

When I ordered mine I was pretty uncomfortable with Weby shop so I made sure I used a credit card(not an ATM/Visa sort of card) so I was protected. They sent me a UPS tracking number that did not really track anything. According to them it was delivered and, since no one was home, it was returned. I did not get any notice on my door from UPS so I am not sure it really did get shipped. 3 weeks later and a number of phone calls. It showed up and I have been happy since then. Hopefully others have had a better experience with them.

Before you all get excited about Webyshops, I have bought several new Leupold scopes from Donnie at Big River Tactical, who goes by 'fpdsniper' right here on the Hide. You all should check with him before buying any Leupold from anyone else.

I did check with Donnie, but thought I had a deal on this used scope. In hindsight, of course, I did not have a good deal. I should have bought a new model 60040 from Big River Tactical.

I got the scope in today from Psyops link. Absolutely satisfied with my purchase. It's not a fake ;) either, which honestly was my biggest worry. The glass is definitely crystal clear and crisp. The reticle isn't as great as the TMR but for the $500 difference it's a non issue. It comes with a green soft cover which will soon be replaced.
For you guys on the fence about Webyshops they sent me the tracking info as soon as it was processed, and required a signature. So everything went smoothly for me.
All in all very happy with my new spotter and I can't wait to get out to S.Kay's range with it and some friends.

Hillbilly....glad you like that spotter! For the price, it's a GREAT deal!

I'm sure it will work well for you in the field.

Spot well, my friend!

So, I paid the big bucks and had Leupold change the Premier reticle to a TMR. The scope arrived today and it looked spiffy - all clean with a nice rubber tacky feel to it. The reticle looked good. However the reticle still cants when the focus ring is dialed, although it cants less than it used to. Just by rocking the focus ring left and right it goes “click” “click” “click” “click” from the tube moving, and the reticle obviously cants with it.

You'd think the technician would test the final product against the work order and problem description. Jeez.

I bought one of the 67180 spotters from weby's a couple months ago and I am very pleased to say the least. I was getting ready to drop some serious cabbage and ran into that deal on ebay. I don't know about their customer service but the scope was brand new sealed in box if it gives me trouble I will just deal with leupold..

You guys seriously need to contact Donnie at Big River Tactical. His pricing is outstanding and you'll have no worries of whether you are dealing with a reputable company. Who in the heck is Webyshops?

Leupold will issue me a call tag for the Gold Ring scope. The Product Service Lead assured me he will personally inspect the scope when it ships back to me next time. Oy vay.

Lexington,

sorry, we kind of got off course here. I purchased the Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60 spotter, model# 67180 and I got it from Camofire for $899. It is a brand new military overrun version and it is AWESOME!!!

I know Webyshops sells these from time to time. Check out what Webyshops sells in the commercial sales forums below.

Sorry again to get off track!

I think this is really dependent on what purpose you're using the spotter for, and to a certain extent, user preference. If you're looking for a full, unobstructed view (for the fullest and clearest view of the observation subject, or to take pictures with, etc), then having a reticle, regardless of which one, in the center of the optic can be a nuisance. But if you're looking for some type of built-in ranging or measuring option, then it's the way to go.

If you're worried about having any part of the reticle getting in the way of the view, you can always observe the subject centered in one of the quadrants of the optic.

As far as glass quality of these Leupold spotters, they're good for what they are, in my opinion. Not really HD quality, but good enough and built pretty tough. The "military overrun" model I have has the black rubberized exterior body, with everything blackened (metal objective ring, Leupold markings).

I called leupold about this model and its an older version...does not have there hd glass...that's why it is cheaper then the other models Leupold is offering at the moment.

webyshop and camofire gave great deals on these because there just left over tactical scopes that were most likely just sitting around somewhere

I called leupold about this model and its an older version...does not have there hd glass...that's why it is cheaper then the other models Leupold is offering at the moment.

webyshop and camofire gave great deals on these because there just left over tactical scopes that were most likely just sitting around somewhere

Actually the current Mark 4's aren't using their HD glass either. I looked at the website and noticed it wasn't marked as their HD glass. Upon speaking with a friend who works there he said that they tried to make the Mark 4 spotters with the HD glass but they found that the HD coatings were causing issues when the scopes are used with night vision devices and thus they've had to stay away from the HD glass in their tactical line of spotters.

~Brett

Edit: If anyone is curious I found a decent price for these spotters with the P4 reticle in them on ebay and upon asking SWFA to match the price they did! For the next 10 days using coupon code PM8554165 will get you a current Mark 4 spotter with the P4 reticle (model 65145) (Leupold 12-40x60 Mark 4 Tactical Spotter) for $1450.94 shipped. It's not exactly as good of a deal as the other deal in this thread but for the S&B users its not a lot of extra coin to have the same reticle in your rifle and your spotter.

Last edited:
FWIW I'm more than satisfied with my spotter. Several others have said it was the clearest spotter they'd ever looked through as well. I also got the cover for it from Triad and it works great.

Glad to hear it. Mainly I was only stating that the glass in your spotter is the same glass in all of the brand new ones on Leupold's site today. The only reason I'm considering paying a little more is because the price that I posted is a damn fine price for a new scope with the P4 reticle. Its not as fine a price as you just paid but there is something to be said for having the same reticle in the spotter and in the rifle.

Congrats on the nice piece of glass!

just picked one of these up on the for sale section and put a vanguard tripod , swivel head, and London bridge trading cover on it. I'm very pleased with it so far. Just had it outside but pleased with the clarity of the glass. Cant wait to take it to PA for some target shooting and to try glassing deer and woodchucks with it.

Glad to hear it. Mainly I was only stating that the glass in your spotter is the same glass in all of the brand new ones on Leupold's site today. The only reason I'm considering paying a little more is because the price that I posted is a damn fine price for a new scope with the P4 reticle.

I paid about that for a New P4 reticle Leupold spotter several years ago, zero regrets. And I use P4, TMR and GAP reticles in various scopes, the P4 was an excellent choice.

I pulled the trigger on one too. I have the Leupold Spotter without a reticle and its awesome. This will be a great upgrade.

I just picked one of these up from Gearhog /Webbyshops with Mil Dot reticle for $1109.00 during one of their timed sales. It's a great piece of kit, came with a factory cover similar to the aftermarket ones, just not in multicam. optics are clear/crisp, no complaints here.

The thick cross hairs are a plus in low light, help you find the reticle center, and I have fair function at min mag with the Mark 4 with both PVS-14 and PVS-22 NV scopes.
For what it's worth, I use a P4.

Here at Webyshops.com we strive for excellence. Overall we have a high review rating. You can check out Webyshops Reviews | Webyshops.com Consumer Reviews on SiteJabber to see some of our reviews. Unfortunately during the holiday season we did receive some negative feedback due to the panic at that time. On a side note, we do have these spotting scopes in stock. We currently have an add up in the equipment exchange on this forum.

i just ordered a mil-dot Mk4 from webyshops (mil overrun version). called them early monday morning to place the order. i got a ship email that same day but it missed the UPS pickup that day, so it's supposed to get here on monday after the weekend. gotta wait a couple extra days. <sigh> really needed it this weekend, but oh well.

looking forward to getting it. bought it on the strength of the webyshops comments. fingers crossed all is well.

I pulled the trigger on one two days ago with some reservations about an unknown, glad to hear that they are reputable. Guess I may have to stay home monday and wait, eagerly.

I bought one of the Mk4 "duplex mil-dot" overruns from Webyshops last spring, and it's a great spotter for the money. I think you guys will be very happy with your purchase.

Anyone else had pics or vids through this scope? The video above does not look too good. Not sure if he just didnt focus the scope well or the video camera was focusing on the reticle instead of the field of view?

Been trying to hit out to 1 mile and need a better spotter than my cheapo, "buy once cry once" but need to make sure im making the best choice for the money...