• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold MARK 5HD 2-10x30

You do realize that there are solicitations where those optics where CHOSEN, right?

You mean those few groups like the ones that NF still does special runs or 2.5-10x24’s for? Those kind of groups?
Yes, I also know how a lot of these solicitations are chosen and it's almost never by the end users.

Also Yes, again I'm sure the scope works no doubt but doesn't mean it's always the optimal choice. If you are looking to the military for the pinnacle in small arms equipment you really shouldn't. Which is why you often see them fielding new small arms equipment thats been used by civilians for years and years.

Why does it cost the same as the 3.6-18?

Because it's Leupold and it's great and new and revolutionary & they're probably trying to milk the military for big money on it so they cannot sell it to the public for less.

To me it looks like they chopped the end off a random MK5 scope with a hacksaw and are charging a premium for it.

I guess you need to educate the entire groups of armed forces that felt that 2.5-8’s and 3.5-10’s were the perfect DMR/SPR optics, and many of which are still in service.

There’s absolutely a place for 2-3x minimum magnification. Especially on a hunting rifle.

I've shot a lot of animals on 3x it definitely has a place on hunting rifles.

As someone who hunts and a prior Marine I don't really see the value of 2-3x except maybe with clip-ons but that's a niche market and lpvos are definitely usable for this. If the target is too far to engage or ID with 1x I'm going to more than likely use 4x or more. I could maybe see it as a decent close to mid range hunting scope but it's definitely not marketed as that. By all means buy whatever makes you happy but don't expect everyone to be fooled by the marketing and hype...
You’re assuming you already have a target to engage or ID. When I was on support by fire position/overwatch or part of an SKT, I wanted to use a little magnification and also as much wide field of view as I could get. But don’t think I would have ever wanted more than 10-12x. Most ranges were within 400 meters.

Edit: I’ll also say that this is all personal preference. If it’s something that doesn’t appeal to you, great. If it’s something that appeals to someone else’s preferences and uses, that doesn’t mean they’re falling for marketing and hype.

Last edited:
As someone who hunts and a prior Marine I don't really see the value of 2-3x except maybe with clip-ons but that's a niche market and lpvos are definitely usable for this. If the target is too far to engage or ID with 1x I'm going to more than likely use 4x or more. I could maybe see it as a decent close to mid range hunting scope but it's definitely not marketed as that. By all means buy whatever makes you happy but don't expect everyone to be fooled by the marketing and hype...
Well lucky for you there are dozens of scope options for you to choose from.

There are people who want MVPOs, if you aren't one of them then that is ok.

Reactions: Bakwa and jzerfoss
Because it's Leupold and it's great and new and revolutionary & they're probably trying to milk the military for big money on it so they cannot sell it to the public for less.

To me it looks like they chopped the end off a random MK5 scope with a hacksaw and are charging a premium for it.
Why would you expect the price to be radically different than the 3.6-18?

The scope is exactly the same from the turrets back, the difference in price to produce these is a small ammount less alluminium and slightly small lenses in the objective. If it is the same price as the 3.6-18 it's hardly fair to say they are charging a premium.

Why would you expect the price to be radically different than the 3.6-18?

The scope is exactly the same from the turrets back, the difference in price to produce these is a small ammount less alluminium and slightly small lenses in the objective. If it is the same price as the 3.6-18 it's hardly fair to say they are charging a premium.

1.5lb 2500$ 2-10x scope with big ass knobs and a TMR reticule doesn't really thrill me tbh.

Reactions: GhostFace
1.5lb 2500$ 2-10x scope with big ass knobs and a TMR reticule doesn't really thrill me tbh.
Me Neither, purley based on specs it does appear Leupold Leupolded this scope as expected, but that doesn't mean the pricing is way off considering what the scope is.

Whether that price for those specs actually appeals to the market is a totally different question.

Reactions: BCP
Does it bother you that other people might be interested? Or are you just an ass fu .

Christ sake your about double what i can find it for if we use 3x18 prices, if you dont like it at least be truthful. And yes i am interested looking to run thermal clip on, it might be what I'm looking for.

Christ sake your about double what i can find it for if we use 3x18 prices, if you dont like it at least be truthful. And yes i am interested looking to run thermal clip on, it might be what I'm looking for.
$2500 is the MAP of the illuminated model which is a crazy price.
Sure street prices are lower but the $500 cost for illumination is crazy.

• Love
Reactions: GhostFace and BCP
Gotta pay the Leupy Photon King or it’s to the salt mines with you

Or something?

He said TMR reticule not illuminated. Hey i understand if you cannot afford it go elsewhere. No reason to shit on it just because you cant afford it, crap i would like a ZCO i. Not gonna crap on it becouse it cost to much.

Reactions: Bakwa
He said TMR reticule not illuminated. Hey i understand if you cannot afford it go elsewhere. No reason to shit on it just because you cant afford it, crap i would like a ZCO i. Not gonna crap on it becouse it cost to much.
He clearly meant the illuminated model otherwise he wouldn't have said $2500....

Gotta pay the Leupy Photon King or it’s to the salt mines with you

Or something?
They use special flux capacitor technology which isn't cheap as they have to keep going back to 1985 to get the materials.

Most of Leupolds management still live in 1985 also, so thats why they keep making decisions which seem strange to us 21st century folk.

They use special flux capacitor technology which isn't cheap as they have to keep going back to 1985 to get the materials.

Most of Leupolds management still live in 1985 also, so thats why they keep making decisions which seem strange to us 21st century folk.
Dood nooooooo! The Leupy Photon Lord is gonna haunt your dreams tonight! Last thing you’ll see is neon Donut Sprinkles* reticles!

* That’s my pet name for their CCH, PR2, and every other dashy-dash-dash reticle they cook the F up.

Reactions: BCP and beetroot
Why does leupold have to be such a disappointment.. Release an optic into their MK5 HD line and the only mil reticle option is the shitty TMR. I do enjoy the delta point pros alot but...that is it. I've been waiting awhile for one of the heavy hitter to make a solid 1-10/2-10 LPVO so far only Vortex has.

Looks to be another in a long line of miss steps for Leupold. I was really hoping for a winner on this, I won't be selling a MK 6 to fund one.
Since I no longer get paid to drink the Koolaid and have to pay street $$ for Luppy, I will use the Accupoint and keep looking for the right MPVO.

I got a chance to play around with it at Shot Show and film this. It's got niche appeal for diehard 3-9x hunters who want Mk5HD glass.

Really? At what is likely to amount to twice the weight? I think I speak for most of those hunters when I say that we just want up to a 30mm tube, mag up to 12x, and sensible reticles. Leupold should have the modern hunting riflescope market nailed and they don't. They either offer overbuilt tactical scopes, Duplex reticles + CDS turrets, or 70+ year old 2-7 or 3-9 designs.

Not knocking this scope per se, but it is overbuilt for most hunting applications with too low of magnification on the top end. This seems like it will shine on certain gas builds where FFP, speed, and low overall length and profile are the important features. This scope is a really modern embodiment of the MK12 idea. At the time an awesome leap forward in capability thats now been pretty hopelessly outclassed by newer weapons and ammo.

Reactions: GhostFace and BCP
Wow! I didn't catch that at first glance, seems to need different turrets all together......Capped turrets seem to indicate it is aimed at hunters.
I use it on a hunting rifle at the moment, but I like to stretch the range a little bit. The reticle allows me to do that within reason, but I would really like to have zerostop available. I have had to dial elevation in the field.

ILya

The illuminated TMR version of this scope is a great reticle option for the magnification range of this scope. The lines are etched thick enough for it to be usable even at 2x. Being FFP you don't want a tree reticle that on the low end will be basically unusable. I'm sure they were targeting more of the hunter and those who want more than what an LPVO can offer in terms of mid range shooting. The 5x zoom range will make the eye box more forgiving from bottom to top than a 10x erector, plus your not stuck with a fixed parallax.
I think this would be a great scope for an AR15 if a true 1x or daylight bright illumination aren't your requirements, or a .308 bolt gun shooting out to 800 yards. If you want a fine tree reticle for a long range target gun then get the 5-25 or 7-35, just remember they are HUGE scopes.

The illuminated TMR version of this scope is a great reticle option for the magnification range of this scope. The lines are etched thick enough for it to be usable even at 2x. Being FFP you don't want a tree reticle that on the low end will be basically unusable. I'm sure they were targeting more of the hunter and those who want more than what an LPVO can offer in terms of mid range shooting. The 5x zoom range will make the eye box more forgiving from bottom to top than a 10x erector, plus your not stuck with a fixed parallax.
I think this would be a great scope for an AR15 if a true 1x or daylight bright illumination aren't your requirements, or a .308 bolt gun shooting out to 800 yards. If you want a fine tree reticle for a long range target gun then get the 5-25 or 7-35, just remember they are HUGE scopes.
Honestly, if we’re doing a reticle like the illuminated TMR, I’d just go for the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 and save some weight, save money, and get more light in. Sure, it’s SFP, but with a max of 10x and no wind holds, I’m not too concerned about that because I’d be dialing elevation more frequently.

For the Mk5HD 2-10x30, I want a reticle that allows me to place quick hits on UKD targets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Seamons
I use it on a hunting rifle at the moment, but I like to stretch the range a little bit. The reticle allows me to do that within reason, but I would really like to have zerostop available. I have had to dial elevation in the field.

ILya
Not having a zero stop seems like a huge miss here, why would they have chosen to eliminate that feature? Wait a second, I'm asking "why" with Leupold... that seems to be a common theme of late ;)

EDIT: It appears the optic ILya referred to above is not the optic this thread was intended for, the Mark5 2-10x30 does in fact have a zero stop.

Last edited:
Not having a zero stop seems like a huge miss here, why would they have chosen to eliminate that feature? Wait a second, I'm asking "why" with Leupold... that seems to be a common theme of late ;)

The MK5HD 2-10 does have a zero stop, Ilya and other members were talking about another brand not having it ;)

Reactions: carbonbased
The MK5HD 2-10 does have a zero stop, Ilya and other members were talking about another brand not having it ;)

Well that's very confusing, but thank you for the clarification. (and that's how misinformation spreads, yikes, I hate to be a purveyor of misinformation!)

Anyone on here own the illuminated reticle version of the MK5 2-10? Curious to know how bright/useable the illumination is during daylight hours.

The $500 up charge for illumination is a deal breaker for me. At 2x I'm sure the reticle is completely useless in lowlight without illumination.
I Have the 3.6-18 and it absolutely useful, I bet the 2x will work as long as you get the illuminated TMR, it has the thicker .10mil thick lines, the other reticles or .05mil

I Have the 3.6-18 and it absolutely useful, I bet the 2x will work as long as you get the illuminated TMR, it has the thicker .10mil thick lines, the other reticles or .05mil
I think this is probably a pretty individual call, I have several Leupold scopes and I love their glass but I have stopped paying the increased costs for their illuminated versions - they are just not bright enough, frankly I would say the ones I have are pretty well useless apart from low light scenarios, in full daylight on or off its the same, they are not visible.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
Still waiting on better reticles and a tan version but would replace 1-8s on a couple of short 308 gas guns. Wish it was more like 3-15 in the same form factor.

Agreed 3x15 would be more desirable for me at least

Reactions: Itsadryheat
2-10 is fine with me.
Better reticle options are what I'd be waiting on. FDE would be cool too.

Reactions: PappyM3 and JS8588
its bigger with a bigger objective that gets in the way of shit in the front, doesn't it?
2oz heavier, .9" longer and bigger objectives lense.

The added length and objective diameter won't matter in the vast majority of use cases.

2oz heavier, .9" longer and bigger objectives lense.

The added length and objective diameter won't matter in the vast majority of use cases.
Eh, I'd like the smaller scope, matters to me. I don't want to get much bigger than an ATACR 1-8 or I'm just going to stick with that.

Eh, I'd like the smaller scope, matters to me. I don't want to get much bigger than an ATACR 1-8 or I'm just going to stick with that.
There is the March 1.5-15 that is quite short.

I'm not sure I understand the appeal for a small objective 3-15 scope, it saves so little weight, length, mounting height at the expense of a very low exit pupil.

Maybe there are lots of people who want one but I don't understand it.

The reticle they will release in the 2-10x is not PR2. It is a design appropriate for the mag range.

ILya

Can we hope for an updated reticle in the 2-10 come SHOT 2024? Or is that going to be a 2025 / 2026 thing? 🤣

Reactions: Cr1775
Having had a chance to look at it really carefully at SHOT, I am more optimistic about this scope then I was originally. I have a couple of interesting applications in mind for it, but I do plan to review it when the new reticle is available.

Think about it this way: historically, there was a need for various SPR scopes like Leupold's Mark4 2.5-8x36, Nightforce's 2.5-10x24, etc. The need has not really gone away and this new Mark5 is really intended for that.

On the surface, a 30mm objective looks small. However, it makes for really good depth of field, helps with lots of adjustment range (think suppressed subsonics at distance) and keeps the whole thing comparatively trim. Low light performance will certainly be impacted, but the same small-ish objective helps it work better with thermal clip-ons. Once a thermal is on there, low light performance is pretty much resolved.

ILya

The reticle they will release in the 2-10x is not PR2. It is a design appropriate for the mag range.

ILya

I’m pretty close to snagging one of these. Any indication of when the new reticle is supposed to drop?