• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mark 5HD Selected by Army Precision Sniper Rifle Program

What does the reticle look like? Couldn’t find the “Army’s patented Mil-Grid Reticle” online.
i think this is it

Army-Mil-Grid-Reticle.jpg

Honestly asking here, but according to this article, the NF 735 was also chosen for the mk22. So does this mean there’s scope options? Lol or how does that work

It means there’s going to be a cluster fuck of optics to rifles, matched with people who have no idea what any of it does. Just like every time they procure a new weapons system or scope, which 99% of the time is either Remington this or leupold that. And then they realize 5 years later that no one likes any of the crap they just wasted $50 million dollars on so it’s on to the next crap that Remington or leupold chucks at some dumbass ass procurement officer who has no idea what the fuck he is looking at, but just knows the brands “Remington” and “Leupold” because he shoots soda cans at 25m on a logging road once every 6 months. Fuck!!!!!

Imagine my excitement when I opened the case to my Mk20, to find a nightforce with 300wm BDC turrets in MOA, with a 2nd focal plane mil dot reticle. I almost just threw the whole thing out the window.

The Army, well all the big Non-Spec Ops units, should take a page from big business. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is a receipt for late delivery, quality issues and exorbitant prices for end of life support. They should spread the work out, issuing different regiments different rifles and optics.

Let's be honest, how long would it take an experienced shooter here who shoots an MRAD to shoot an AI or a Mk13 well with a different scope of the same measurement? A couple days, maybe? I get writing different FMs etc would take some time but for Christ's sake, this shit is not that hard. Doing it the way they've always done it these days is making less and less sense to me.

Reactions: deersniper
The Army, well all the big Non-Spec Ops units, should take a page from big business. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is a receipt for late delivery, quality issues and exorbitant prices for end of life support. They should spread the work out, issuing different regiments different rifles and optics.

Let's be honest, how long would it take an experienced shooter here who shoots an MRAD to shoot an AI or a Mk13 well with a different scope of the same measurement? A couple days, maybe? I get writing different FMs etc would take some time but for Christ's sake, this shit is not that hard. Doing it the way they've always done it these days is making less and less sense to me.

It’s about support and logistics and equipment standardization. There is a reason the A-10 has one landing gear and one engine NSN. Its good to have everyone on the same sheet of music.

Also different rifles would have to all go through their own procurement processes, dragging shit out even worse.

It’s about support and logistics and equipment standardization. There is a reason the A-10 has one landing gear and one engine NSN. Its good to have everyone on the same sheet of music.

Also different rifles would have to all go through their own procurement processes, dragging shit out even worse.

I understand that aspect of it as the system is utilized today, but again this isn't a complicated $20,000,000 aircraft. Essentially, it's a slightly modernized piece of kit that rolled out 130 years ago. The logistic process the government uses is almost as antiquated. If it was really about getting the best product for the least amount of money in a decent timeframe they would modernize. At least for small arms. It also clearly doesn't work. It should never take this long to roll out an established product and as to saving they loose more money on contractors for mess halls every couple years than this entire project will cost. (That may not be fair anymore but you get the point)

I guess I don't buy that every unit should have a standard rifle, pistol, etc. They could break it up by base, regiment, etc. Especially for Soldiers, Marines, etc who are trained above and beyond a standard line Infantryman. For example our standard sidearm was an M9 but some of the CID MPs carried Sigs. This is no different.

Just venting... I don't expect anything will change, but to me the way they choose and purchase small arms is silly. That said Who TF am I accept another observer....

Last edited:
Is likely a combination of an antiquated logistics/procurement system, and the fact that too many people have their dicks in the cheesewhiz. The military’s senior folks have a hard-on for specific names. Couple that with lobbying by specific companies to get their options selected. I’d have rather seen AI get the bid over Barrett, but like you, just an observer.

Is likely a combination of an antiquated logistics/procurement system, and the fact that too many people have their dicks in the cheesewhiz. The military’s senior folks have a hard-on for specific names. Couple that with lobbying by specific companies to get their options selected. I’d have rather seen AI get the bid over Barrett, but like you, just an observer.

I think you're spot on. KAC must have had whores on staff because the first runs of mk11/M110s should have had Reed hanging from a rope.

I just hate seeing single source. It always leads to shortages and delays. If they really needed to go with one design, buy the patent for X amount of time and run 'em out like they did with the 1911s in the 40s and be done with it.

Knowing a number of guys that do that sort of buying..... they have a clue, and the combat deployments to back it up. The hate of grid reticles here is amazing.

Reactions: reubenski
Honestly asking here, but according to this article, the NF 735 was also chosen for the mk22. So does this mean there’s scope options? Lol or how does that work

I think big Army get's the MK5 and SOCOM gets the ATACR.

Knowing a number of guys that do that sort of buying..... they have a clue, and the combat deployments to back it up. The hate of grid reticles here is amazing.
Lots of us don’t shoot people sized targets.
For big targets at reasonable distances the heavy grid reticles work excellent.

I shoot pretty small things as well and don’t have an issue and shoot pretty fast and accurate with one. however your comment is needs to be repeated more often. Some like to think prs makes them snipers or “military grade” marksmen. Like you said shooting people is completely different and not really comparable. I’ll add that snipers are being used for their scouting abilities more than their 20,000 yard kill shots....

I shoot pretty small things as well and don’t have an issue and shoot pretty fast and accurate with one. however your comment is needs to be repeated more often. Some like to think prs makes them snipers or “military grade” marksmen. Like you said shooting people is completely different and not really comparable. I’ll add that snipers are being used for their scouting abilities more than their 20,000 yard kill shots....
One of my close friends was a sniper in the teams for almost 2 decades.
What he likes is quite a bit different than what I like but now as a civilian shootin steel at long distances he is slowly starting to admit my setup is better suited than his and changing his rifle to suit.

I never second guessed his preferences as they applied to his old profession as it’s entirely logical if not simplified.

One of my close friends was a sniper in the teams for almost 2 decades.
What he likes is quite a bit different than what I like but now as a civilian shootin steel at long distances he is slowly starting to admit my setup is better suited than his and changing his rifle to suit.

I never second guessed his preferences as they applied to his old profession as it’s entirely logical if not simplified.
The newer guys do both and grew up on grids and still like them. The dislike of something because of the guy that made it is ridiculous. X is busy but Y's isnt..... .Comeon. Whatever though

Some like to think prs makes them snipers or “military grade” marksmen. Like you said shooting people is completely different and not really comparable. I’ll add that snipers are being used for their scouting abilities more than their 20,000 yard kill shots....
Who? Who thinks that? You’ve seen this somewhere on the internets? Your friend has been to a match and thinks he’s a sniper? Who? Post a link.

My guess is you’ve never been to a match or competed In your life. A better marksman with a rifle is a better marksman. Military snipers would benefit from competing in games, and some do even outside of “sniper” competitions, but I’ve never met a civilian who thought playing rifle games made them a soldier. Thats more like something I’d hear at a public square range. The fundamentals don’t change because of the size of your target? Really, what is that?
A full ISPC is pretty small at 1,400 yards.

Your link reflects socom. That has absolutely zero to do with big Army

Who? Who thinks that? You’ve seen this somewhere on the internets? Your friend has been to a match and thinks he’s a sniper? Who? Post a link.

My guess is you’ve never been to a match or competed In your life. A better marksman with a rifle is a better marksman. Military snipers would benefit from competing in games, and some do even outside of “sniper” competitions, but I’ve never met a civilian who thought playing rifle games made them a soldier. Thats more like something I’d hear at a public square range. The fundamentals don’t change because of the size of your target? Really, what is that?
A full ISPC is pretty small at 1,400 yards.
LOL!!! then you havent been to many. Guys decked out in multicam talking to people like they are snipers is the norm. Maybe not at a PRS match because they would get laughed out. One of the best things about the Shirt wearers, you know the guys with their sponsors, it shows that its a competition.
LOL on your stupid " i know what I am talking about" comments. Your comment about never meeting a civilian that thinks it doesnt make them a soldier.... wow. I mean WOW! Why do you think so few ACTUAL Mil shooters used to show up? They tried and tried to get them in but they cant. There is a great reason for it. The simple fact that you cant grasp the difference in shooting a target vs a human....... And that you think a human getting hit is the same as steel is even more laughable. Ok, even though im talking to an absolutely uninformed person. there is a reason the DoD doesnt need a 1/4 MOA rifle. There is a reason one rifle can pin an entire company down, there is a reason ONE slightly injured soldier takes at least 2 people if not 3 out of the fight and horribly degrades moral. The simple fact you are trying to say, no one thinks they are snipers then right after say its all the same.......................................... Then tried to Joe Biden me with size of target? I am well aware the SIZE of a target at 1790 yards. Thats the bonus target in the matches i dont shoot.

Lemme guess with all your gadgets and your 3000k in tripods because you cant build a position, still hold left edge with wind and correct from there..... LOL!!!!

Reactions: aku
Mark 5HD will probably be my next purchased. Good to see the military using some variant of it

- At least it isnt SIG
- It's not NF because I'm betting Leupold's mil/DoD cost on this is like $250 per unit if you go by the 1/10th 'rule' off their listed MSRP
- At least it isnt SIG
- They would be retarded to use anything except the 7-35 version with the MK22 as with the long vertical stadia line, it doubles as a spotter
- Should have been the 7-35 ATACR
- At least it isnt SIG

This would be an interesting reticle for a spotting scope.
Personally I’d prefer it without the ranging bracket.
47BC7B63-2F80-4616-9EB7-A84A47818B31.jpeg

Besides the super busy area below 5 mils I could be happy with this reticle.
679CC6B5-FB6F-4A55-9B11-79E4ABB9E939.jpeg

This is the reticle I’m using on my 260 and I’m kinda liking it.

74F5FAA1-5CAD-47DA-90A7-126B6B5ACF39.jpeg

Jesus didn’t expect it to get
This would be an interesting reticle for a spotting scope.
Personally I’d prefer it without the ranging bracket.
View attachment 7291870

Besides the super busy area below 5 mils I could be happy with this reticle.
View attachment 7291873

This is the reticle I’m using on my 260 and I’m kinda liking it.

View attachment 7291874
I think I like Fig 2 the most to be honest. As to big army picking Leupold I think it was a good move. I've been wanting to get hands on with one just to see how the image quality is once you cross 25x.
- At least it isnt SIG
- It's not NF because I'm betting Leupold's mil/DoD cost on this is like $250 per unit if you go by the 1/10th 'rule' off their listed MSRP
- At least it isnt SIG
- They would be retarded to use anything except the 7-35 version with the MK22 as with the long vertical stadia line, it doubles as a spotter
- Should have been the 7-35 ATACR
- At least it isnt SIG
I'm in full agreement especially with at leas it's not SIG. I've looked through the tango 6 and wasn't impressed.

I have a spotter with a grid and its very easy to call shots. A good spotter can call before impacts. I really like my 5x25 and totally see why they have that option. The 7x35 is very nice though.

Does anyone have a pic of the actual reticle?

I do like the ranging stadia. (Like for measuring a mans height or shoulders) Maybe no one ever used that. Seems to be nice to have.

Does anyone have a pic of the actual reticle?

I do like the ranging stadia. (Like for measuring a mans height or shoulders) Maybe no one ever used that. Seems to be nice to have.

Found this thread!