• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 6 1-6x Illumination Issues

Raven6 Actual

Pathfinder
Minuteman
I have had my Leupold Mark 6 1-6x with the CMR-W reticle for about two months now and I love it. It is bright, great power range, clear reticle and works well for quick pop ups and 3 gun work, though a cat-tail would be great. The illum is quite bright and I have had little issue with the brightness. However, there is one major issue. To see the illum at full brightness, you have to be in the EXACT center of the eyebox. Stray just a hair off and you see a greatly diminished brightness, or none at all. Not a huge deal on higher powers as I am taking time to line up the shot, but it is a deal killer at 1x making a quick shot from 50-100 meters. My question, is this normal for this type of illum? This is the only 1-nx power I have ever owned so I have nothing to compare it to. I know my Premier 3-15 illim did not exhibit this behavior, but I imagine this is a totally different illum system.

Does anyone else have this scope or a similar one that can speak to this issue? I sent a e-mail to Leupold and am awaiting a reply, but I wanted some info from the real pros and owners here.

Any help is appreciated.

-Rob

I have one, I will check it out and let you know. At any power level???. ... I am with you on the cat tail, would love one too.

I saw a review of this scope where the writer stated the same thing. He brought it up to Leupold and they acknowledged the issue. If you search you can probably find it.

Read somewhere that Leupold addressed the issue, and the new scopes don't have this issue. Call Leupold and tell them about it, they may have a fix. And let me know the solution! Mine has the same "issue" but it doesn't bother me much, however if they have a fix, I'd send mine in too!

MK6 Scopes manufactured in 2013 with a "Y" at the end of the serial number have the updated illumination.

MK6 Scopes manufactured in 2013 with a "Y" at the end of the serial number have the updated illumination.

I just ordered mine today from Scott at Liberty Optics though mine has a duplex reticle and will be used for night hog hunting. I'm hoping I recieve a "Y" series and won't have to send it in for repair. Kind of wish I read this first before ordering but will wait and see and how it goes.

I called, they will upgrade the illumination module, no problem. He said repair turn around times are around 18 days right now.

Might as well send it back I guess!

When I first read this thread yesterday I almost had a heart attack as I thought I had done a good job researching this scope and had just purchased one. With my luck, it naturally had the "X" serial number suffix. I'm very glad that Leupold is taking care of this problem and appreciate everyone's input in sharing the problem and letting us know how to get it resolved.

Thanks!!

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies on this issue. I have been out of the loop doing work for my formerly rich Uncle Samuel and just got back. I am actually stoked to know that it's not just me and even happier that Leupold has a fix for it. I did write a Leupold expert on their site and here is what he said:

"Robert,

If your eye relief is set correctly, yes that will happen with an illuminated, Front Focal Plain scope. All FFP scopes do that.

Best Regards "

I sent an e-mail stating what you guys are talking about and will likely call them directly to get this resolved.

To anyone thinking about buying this scope, let it be known I fully endorse it. Other than this illum issue, I LOVE the scope. It is clear, bright, and the CMR-W reticle works perfectly on my 16" PredatAR out to the 400M with 10k wind that I have tested it. Amazing optic.

Thanks again for all the replies and the info, you gentlemen rock!

-Rob Actual

If your eye relief is set correctly, yes that will happen with an illuminated, Front Focal Plain scope. All FFP scopes do that.

Checked the illumination on a friends Razor HD 1-4 FFP after reading this thread and I didn't notice the same issue.

I called Leupold and the guy was not aware of the issue. However, he said box it up and send it in and they would check it out and fix it. Solid customer service, it just sucks I had to unmount, but I guess I could use more mounting practice. He said since it was a high-dollar tactical scope that the turn around should be pretty good. He claimed 2-3 weeks so that is inline with the 18 mentioned before.

I'll update as I hear more. Thanks for all the input. -Rob

I also called today to ask about this issue, the tech I talked to was not aware of an issue with the illumination and stated the change from X to Y prefix was simply a 2012 to 2013 model year designation... I didn't pursue it further and am curious to hear from those that sent their scopes in to see if anything is changed regarding illumination. Please keep us updated!

Interested too to see if any sent in will actually get fixed. Keep us posted on any update. I may wait to send in mine pending results.

Just as they do for the S&B PM II cattails, it seems to me that the available CQBSS cattails should match the scalloping of the power adjustment knob.

I also called today to ask about this issue, the tech I talked to was not aware of an issue with the illumination and stated the change from X to Y prefix was simply a 2012 to 2013 model year designation... I didn't pursue it further and am curious to hear from those that sent their scopes in to see if anything is changed regarding illumination. Please keep us updated!

When I called in I asked for technical support. I then asked the technician as to when the illumination was upgraded to fix previous issues. He looked thru a log that he had and found that it had been fixed in units produced in 2013 with a "Y" at the end of the serial number. I was getting ready to order a unit from a dealer and wanted to make sure I received a current, up to date, unit.

Interested too to see if any sent in will actually get fixed. Keep us posted on any update. I may wait to send in mine pending results.

Will do, mine should be there Tuesday March 26th.

Scott at Liberty Optics as always my friend you took care of me again..."Thank You"

My new Leupold V6 1-6x was waiting when I got home from my business trip. I did receive a "Y" series scope...thank goodness! My initial thoughts from just the visual inspection it looks like a fine scope. This coming from someone who has not been a Leupold fan for many years. Actually this is the first LP i've purchased in 12 years. Next weekend I'll take it to the ranch and mount it on the scope block and run it through its paces before mounting it on my rifle. I want to make sure it tracks properly, see just how much windage and elevation I have in each direction and will return to zero when all tracking tests are done and has little to no cant (less than 1%). I do like the illuminated reticle and have no trouble seeing it at any light or scope power.

Has anyone had any issues with the TMR reticle version?

Yep, I have the same issue and mine is the TMR version. I have it on a SCAR 17. I'm new to the SCAR platform and this is my first high-end Leupy scope, so I chalked it up to lack of trigger time. I just checked the sn and it ends in an X.

I hope their CS is better than the .mil sales rep. THEY NEVER returned one call or email--I'm talking calls and emails daily for over a week. I finally called promotive.com and cancelled an additional order over that. I went back to NF and a local Hide sponsor for the 34mm rings.

Scott at Liberty Optics as always my friend you took care of me again..."Thank You"

My new Leupold V6 1-6x was waiting when I got home from my business trip. I did receive a "Y" series scope...thank goodness! My initial thoughts from just the visual inspection it looks like a fine scope. This coming from someone who has not been a Leupold fan for many years. Actually this is the first LP i've purchased in 12 years. Next weekend I'll take it to the ranch and mount it on the scope block and run it through its paces before mounting it on my rifle. I want to make sure it tracks properly, see just how much windage and elevation I have in each direction and will return to zero when all tracking tests are done and has little to no cant (less than 1%). I do like the illuminated reticle and have no trouble seeing it at any light or scope power.

FYI. The "VX-6" is a different scope than the MK6.

Got a call from the service department at Leupold today.

The illumination being lost is a function of the way illumination works on a FFP scope. The whole "x vs y" serial number has nothing to do with the illumination, they are the same scope and the serial number is the only difference. He is spreading the word around the company about it, as there is no fix.

So, I'm doing my part to put an end to this internet myth.

-Bob

For those looking for a "cat tail", I put the MGM Switchview on mine. It fits just fine. Leupy's site shows the eye piece at 1.70" MGM's switchview is 1.692".

MGM model #1692SV2R3V1 (SVNFNXS)

The illumination being lost is a function of the way illumination works on a FFP scope. The whole "x vs y" serial number has nothing to do with the illumination, they are the same scope and the serial number is the only difference. He is spreading the word around the company about it, as there is no fix.

-Bob
Thanks. Mine just showed up at the house so I'll get to give it a run in June. Not sure just how much shooting I'll get in on this trip, but I'll be packing this scope on top of a carbine .308 in the mountains. Hopefully I can give a fair review of it at least as well. If only it was hunting season...

I do believe I should be able to "fix" this issue by swapping over to a CTR from the Sopmod on the rifle this is on. The Sopmod puts my head just a bit too high which causes most of the issues with losing the illumination.

Illumination upgrade is bit more than just internet rumour as word originally came from factory.
It still can be wrong though. I have heard about manufacturing process upgrage from very big dealer and source in very close collaboration with Leupold factory.

Jeff in TX, can you elaborate- does intensity in your reticle vary greatly depending on eye position within eyebox?
Which reticle do you have?

Last edited:

-Bob

This is correct info.

Mike @ CST

Jeff in TX, can you elaborate- does intensity in your reticle vary greatly depending on eye position within eyebox?
Which reticle do you have?

JL,

Sorry my dyslexia kicked in when I first read this thread. I saw the thread for Leupolds new 1 -6 illumination issues and I didn’t really see or pay attention to the Mark 6 in the title. I have the Leupold V6 1 – 6 and not the Mark 6 version. I have the fire dot illuminated duplex reticle. No matter how I hold my head and sight through the scope or illumination brightness settings I have no issues seeing the illuminated dot and I don't notice any change in brightness as I move my head n the eye box.

This is the first Leupold I’ve owned in over a decade and I really like it, this coming from a former Leupold hater. I’m actually going to pick up a couple V6 3-18x42mm scopes for a couple of my hunting rifles.

Apologies for the mispost on the M6 verses V6

I called, they will upgrade the illumination module, no problem. He said repair turn around times are around 18 days right now.

Might as well send it back I guess!

Curious as to why they issued you an RMA to upgrade the illumination module if there were no known issues?

Jeff, no probs. Should have looked previous messages and your original post more csrefully.

Would still appreciate first hand info on possible visibility changes regarding to illumination.

I bought this scope for 3 Gun and it doe same shit. its almost like its on again off again when trying to run it fast target to target when held steady no worries and more noticeable on low power most 3 Gun targets I shoot 1-3X so its a bitch. I hoped there would be a cure come about. otherwise its a bad ass scope with all the features

For you throw lever guys you can use the universal throw lever looks like a zip tie with a twit know called breakaway coaster for surf rods by Breakaway. their cheap and they work.

I bought this scope for 3 Gun and it doe same shit. its almost like its on again off again when trying to run it fast target to target when held steady no worries and more noticeable on low power most 3 Gun targets I shoot 1-3X so its a bitch. I hoped there would be a cure come about. otherwise its a bad ass scope with all the features

For you throw lever guys you can use the universal throw lever looks like a zip tie with a twit know called breakaway coaster for surf rods by Breakaway. their cheap and they work.

First thing I did to my USO SR-8s was install a po' boy throw lever on it.
Gotta love these Breakaway Coasters.

My USO 1-8x has an FFP reticle and the illumination is not fussy at all with regards to eye alignment. Cheek weld, chin weld, whatever, if I can see the reticle, it's illuminated (although not what I would call daylight bright).

Weird.

That said, the Leupy MK6 1-6 is one sexy scope. ARs are not know for promoting good cheek weld; probably the fix is to find a stock that gives you a better cheek weld like bm11 suggested.

Joe