• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 or NF 5.5-22x50

SigsauerP229

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2011
N. NV
Not a lot of threads about the Leupold Marks 6 so I'm wondering which would you all choose. I have a chance to grab either one used. The NF with MLR reticule for $1700 or the Mark 6 with Horus Reticule for a bit over $1800. I'd prefer the Horus reticule but glass and turrets are my main concern and I wasn't overly impressed with my Mark 4 but it was over 10 yrs old and I've read and heard that Leupold has had huge improvements.

I should be able to test a Mark 6 out soon but I don't have any access to a NF.

If you might be through AZ in the near future I will let you test my NF 5.5_20x56 pm me

Two different scopes so you can't really comparre them. Why are you trying to choose between them?

I have had both. In my opinion it boils down to what you value the most. Both are great scopes and have their pluses. Looking through both I feel they are very similar. The Leupold may have a slight edge. If you like the Horus reticle, First Focal Plane, and a small package then the Leupold is the way to go. If you like the Nightforce's illumination, less cluttered reticle and build quality then opt for the Nightforce.

Classified, thanks for the offer but probably won't make it down there anytime soon.

CrazyDonkey, they both seem to be a good buy for the value although the Leupold has more features with the exception of no illumination, which I don't really need. I do like the Horus reticle and FFP but I want to know if the turrets and return to zero are as good as the NF as my MK 4 was not great with its return to zero, it was always a bit off.

Maggitas, thank you for the reply. Can you be more specific on what is better in terms of build quality with the NF?

If you havent picked up a nightforce, find a dealer (sportsmans has them in vegas, not sure of other areas in nevada) and play with one. The build quality and strength is instantly noticeable over pretty much any other scope, but that also comes with a greater weight. Ive had both and stuck with nightforce, but the leupold mark 6 scopes have AMAZING glass. Id say more apples to apples might be the new Nightforce ATACR though as they are phasing out the NXS. I have a 5.5-22x56 NXS, a 3-15 NXS and just ordered a 5-25 ATACR for my 338 Lapua, and I would take them any day over the Leupold Mark 4 stuff, however I am ordering a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x shortly because it is just incredibly awesome, and im sure their 3-18 is just as good.

If its a benchrest gun, or a safe queen, get either one, if its going to be out in the desert, get the NF.

I looked through a NF when looking for scopes for my rifle. To me the Mark 6 had better glass hands down. Haven't looked through one with the Horus but I'm sure the glass is the same. The turrets on the Mark 6 are better to me than on the Mk4. Check out my review on mine and see if that helps.

Sig,

Fenix mike alluded to it but Nightforce scopes have a beefy feel to them. They also have a spartan utilitarian elegance to them. They engineers at Nightforce put alot of thought into designing their scopes. The dials and magnification ring are easy to use in all conditions and the scopes track as well as any scope out there period. They have a proven track record in combat of holding up to abuse. You may want to check out their site and read about the bullet hole scope.

If you havent picked up a nightforce, find a dealer (sportsmans has them in vegas, not sure of other areas in nevada) and play with one. The build quality and strength is instantly noticeable over pretty much any other scope, but that also comes with a greater weight. Ive had both and stuck with nightforce, but the leupold mark 6 scopes have AMAZING glass. Id say more apples to apples might be the new Nightforce ATACR though as they are phasing out the NXS. I have a 5.5-22x56 NXS, a 3-15 NXS and just ordered a 5-25 ATACR for my 338 Lapua, and I would take them any day over the Leupold Mark 4 stuff, however I am ordering a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x shortly because it is just incredibly awesome, and im sure their 3-18 is just as good.

If its a benchrest gun, or a safe queen, get either one, if its going to be out in the desert, get the NF.

SigsauerP229, check with Leupold on the illumination.
I asked if I could get the 3-18 cmr-w 7.62 with an illuminated reticle and they told me it did have it.

From what I hear the pinch locks on the mark 6 3-18 are really nice. Mike over @ CST really liked them on the Mark 8 CQBSS. For me, any scope that is over 10x must be in FFP. Between the two, I would choose the Leupold.

Thank you all for the response.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Leupold. I should be able to test one soon though and I think that will be the deciding factor.

I appreciate the help.

Thank you all for the response.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Leupold. I should be able to test one soon though and I think that will be the deciding factor.

I appreciate the help.

MK6 or MK8 better than NF (but my heart remains with March 3-24 and 5-40) .

I have both .

The MK6 3-18x has a standard hand-stop , is a FFP , is more compact & lighter , very user friendly .

The NXS 5.5-22x has an "option" zero-stop , is a SFP , is bulkeir & heavier , less user friendly .

The MK6 is the winner IMHO , BTW I'm selling my NXS is someone want to buy it :)

PP out