• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mk 5HD turret troubleshooting

02NBMFormula

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I bought a new Leupold Mk5 5hd for a 6.5 Grendel AR and tried taking it out to 1k yards and noticed that i could not turn the elevation dial more than one revolution. Any ideas?

Have you zero’d it? Removed the turret and checked all the screws? What base are you running and how high is your scope sitting on your rifle?

Have you zero’d it? Removed the turret and checked all the screws? What base are you running and how high is your scope sitting on your rifle?
Yes. Running a sphur 20mm base which puts it 2.5inches height over bite. I didn’t notice any screws when I removed the turret to zero, just remembered it was covered in grease. Let me snap a picture

Here is a pic with the turret off

Attachments

• IMG_9986.jpeg
    IMG_9986.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 84
If you remove the turret you can dial the travel all the way down, and then reattach your turret to get full travel, however depending on where it zero's for you you may end up not having 3 revs of travel from your zero spot. (you likely won't)

Or, if you bought a used one like I did and someone hamhandedly smacked that turret release button on the front of the dial (and didn't tell you about it prior to sale) it can dent the track that the pin travels in, inside the turret, and only allow a single rotation. (Unlikely if you got a new scope, and Leupold took care of the issue mine had.)

I added the pic of what mine looked like before Leupold fixed it.

Attachments

• Leupold.jpg
    Leupold.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: RKBArmory
If you remove the turret you can dial the travel all the way down, and then reattach your turret to get full travel, however depending on where it zero's for you you may end up not having 3 revs of travel from your zero spot. (you likely won't)

Or, if you bought a used one like I did and someone hamhandedly smacked that turret release button on the front of the dial (and didn't tell you about it prior to sale) it can dent the track that the pin travels in, inside the turret, and only allow a single rotation. (Unlikely if you got a new scope, and Leupold took care of the issue mine had.)

I added the pic of what mine looked like before Leupold fixed it.
Just tried that and had the same results, it does not want to travel past one full revolution. Its like it gets stuck once the button on the side is flush. Ive got another MK5HD on a bolt gun and love it. Surprised to have an issue

You have a warranty on that scope. Call Leupold's Tech Support line.

Just tried that and had the same results, it does not want to travel past one full revolution. Its like it gets stuck once the button on the side is flush. Ive got another MK5HD on a bolt gun and love it. Surprised to have an issue

Happens from time to time:

Last year I bought a new MK5 (my second Mk5). 6.5 CM, 20 MOA rail. No need to pen the whole process - but I could not get enough down adjustment to even get it bore sighted. It turned out that it left the factory with the turret installed very near the top of the elevation range.
I spent a good bit of time adjusting the turret down 5 clicks, taking it off, putting it back on at zero, repeat. I finally got down to the bottom of the range and into bore sight territory. Maybe - your turret came from the factory installed in the same way? If did come from the factory this way - would you have been able to zero it at all? I dunno, I'm still learning.

I did get the scope zeroed - and have used it several times out to 1200 yds. No more issues so far.

Last edited:
Last year I bought a new MK5 (my second Mk5). 6.5 CM, 20 MOA rail. No need to pen the whole process - but I could not get enough down adjustment to even get it bore sighted. It turned out that it left the factory with the turret installed very near the top of the elevation range.
I spent a good bit of time adjusting the turret down 5 clicks, taking it off, putting it back on at zero, repeat. I finally got down to the bottom of the range and into bore sight territory. Maybe - your turret came from the factory installed in the same way? If did come from the factory this way - would you have been able to zero it at all? I dunno, I'm still learning.

I did get the scope zeroed - and have used it several times out to 1200 yds. No more issues so far.

I just pull the turret and use the flat blade in my Leatherman to zero. Then drop the turret cap back on.

You did it the hardest way possible.