• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mk 8 3.5-25

gimpy

One-Legged Grunt
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2011
Illinois
Has anyone here had a chance to check one of these out? What's the consensus on this scope vs USO or S&B? I would like to think that for the price, they have upped their game. Looking to get a scope for my GAP that's on order, and hope to make the right choice.

Just got off the phone with a tactical rep. Scopes were released this past Friday. He also advised a possible 9-12 month wait for tmr reticle - bummer.

Has this been confirmed that they were released? It is too late to call now, but I will sleep easier knowing I just may get to finally receive mine soon.

Got mine today! Hell of a way to end the shift today. Just finished mounting on my 300win mag. Have a four day weekend so planning on some trigger time. So far I am very pleased with the new optic.

Great to hear! Please update us on your thoughts when you get a chance.

Got mine today! Hell of a way to end the shift today. Just finished mounting on my 300win mag. Have a four day weekend so planning on some trigger time. So far I am very pleased with the new optic.

Will do, going to try to get out on Friday...and hopefully Sunday too.

Those of you who have yours already, or just received tracking info, about when did you place your order last year? I am trying to get a feel for my place in line.

I'm really interested in a good review as well. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a super premium and this is on my short list. Unfortunately I can't look through everything around here, so opinion s here will go a long way. Hopefully Ilya will have his review donr soon too.

Subscribing to this thread, I've been researching a proper optic for a new to me DTA SRS and this is looking awfully interesting.

Can I ask how big the promotive discount is on this scope? I don't qualify as a member of any of the requisite teams but I have plenty of friends who would. Just curious if it is worth hassling them to order it for me.

I ordered through Mil/LE and placed order approximately May 10, 2012.

This is my first high end optic, up till now I have been using an SWFA SS 5-20hd, which I have actually gotten a lot of good use out of.

Any tunneling on low power? Did you get the mildot or h58?

I got the H58 reticle. I got out today with my kids and got to shoot out to 770 yards. I like the scope, though think I may mount it as it I almost maxed out the windage in sighting in, not sure what is causing that treat. Still getting used to the Horus reticle, but I like it a lot. I like the turrets. Did not notice any tunneling on low power.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about one of these for my 6.5CM AR, but have been waiting for field reviews before placing the order. How's the eye box? I know most scopes struggle at the top end; I'm more concerned with the mid power range around 15-20x.

Any of you guys that have these scopes already get a chance to play with them this past weekend and care to share your thoughts?

Just put my Mil/LEO order in through Leupold for the Mark 8 3.5-25X56mm (35mm) M5B2 H-58. I was told 2-3 months out, what do you think about their time frame?

Mike, is there a TMR version upcoming? The only two reticles I've seen offered is the H58 and Mil-Dot, neither of which I'm crazy about.

Your correct they only have the H58 and the MIL-DOT, I was just saying I would like to get some in TMR. As soon as they say they will make them in the TMR we will get them.

We just notification that Leupold is sending us some 115062 Mark 8 3.5-25X56mm (35mm) M5B2 Matte Illum Front Focal H-58.

Mike @ CST

Thanks Mike and tip, didn't see that one earlier. Am I the only one that doesn't want to go with the Horus, but doesn't want basic mildot either?

Thanks Mike and tip, didn't see that one earlier. Am I the only one that doesn't want to go with the Horus, but doesn't want basic mildot either?

No, personally I wasn't going to pay premium prices just to settle on a mil dot. I bought a razor instead. Horus has absolutely no use in my applications either.

We just got some in stock.
http://50.116.114.56/optics/rifle-s...rk-8-35-25x56mm-35mm-m5b2-illum-ffp-h-58.html
942565_554753757900475_11725615_n.jpg

Mike @ CST

Last edited:
I'm hoping someone puts up some reviews on this baby. Given the magnification range, I think I'd be willing to sell a scope to pick this up, provided it's everything I hope it is. Too bad the TMR is so far out.

Mike, is the price closer to the mil price or S&B price? ;)

Last edited:
Mike
I am a Pa. cert. officer and was wondering if you could shoot me a PM on the price of this scope with the H-58. Am I right in thinking that there is a nice discount for officers on this scope? Thank's................Rick

Got mine this morning from the man in the brown truck.
Initial thoughts.....
Pros
Turrets.... Leupold hit one out of the park with these. Nice firm audible clicks. The pinch turrets are great. They actually line up with the index marks with the faintest amount of play. Every 5 mils there is an MTC type detent. Really not going to use these much with the h58 but they are nice and a locking turret is a must IMHO for a Horus reticle. It has a 2nd rev indicator that poke up.

Reticle lighting... Nice s&b style dial with off between each setting 1-7. The way the h58 is lit is nice. It has a small lit 1x1 mil crosshairs like a p4f then it has a fine dot each 2 mils going down the main crosshair. At 6 mils it also has lit fine dots at 2 mils on the horizontal grid and the at 16 mils down it has lit dots at 2 and 4 on the horizontal grid. The lowest setting are invisible to the naked eye so I'd assume they are NV compatible. The highest setting floods the reticle and you can actually make out all of the Horus reticle including the numbers. Very nice.

Eye relief....very generous. More than any other scope I have including PH 3-15, S&B 5-25, NF F1. Both high and low mag setting were impressive. Also I could not notice any significant tunneling at low mag.

Glass....nice clear bright glass. I'll do some additional testing in the next few days, but it was not giving up much to my Bender 5-25. Only was able to take it to 200 yds but I'll stretch it's legs next week.

Cons
Mag ring....it sucks in my opinion. It is too small with not much area to grab. Also the mag ring is not very smooth turning. Not smooth and buttery like most of the German glass. Very mark 4esque. It also turns opposite direction from my s&b and Premier...but then again so does my NF. Must be a US thing.

Parallax.... The parallax works great so far but it turns the opposite direction of every other scope I own. Instead of over the top away from you to increase parallax range it turns back towards you (opposite than what I would think most are used to). Weird.

On the fence
Build quality... Maybe it's the cheap plastic feeling mag ring, but the scope just doesn't feel as refined and solid as my Bender and Premier. These mark 8's have already been in field with some units and have held up well, so time will tell.

Reticle... Never used a Horus before so it will take some getting used to. The main crosshair of the reticle is too thick for my liking above about 15x. I was told by leupold the they spec the h58 with a .045 mil main crosshair. It seems thicker to me. The rest of the hash marks on the grid seem to be about half the thickness of the main crosshairs so they work out nice. If i want to shoot for groups i figure i can dial to use the finer grid. otherwise i think the reticle is just about perfect for hitting steel With speed. I do not find the h58 to be too busy for my liking just wish it had the dot in the center like the h59.

Overall very happy with the scope, only reason I could see letting it go is to get a h59.