• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold mk 8 CQBSS 1.1x8

GoWyo

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2001
Central Highlands of Wyoming
Really? Over 4 grand? Do these things have NV ability?

The thought of our military spending this kind of coin on these optics makes me think of 20k toilet seats and 600 dollar hammers.

There is no way that these are 3-4 times the scope that an ACOG is. Ok, I think the 5.5 and 6x acogs are over priced too.

Touchy feely rant over. Someone convince me (if you care to) that these are worth it. I can only imagine what the asking price is for the LR mk 6's and 8's will be. Makes me think that NF are a bargain.

Re: Leupold mk 8 CQBSS 1.1x8

There are a lot of great Tactical scopes out there that will do the job well but I will say the Leupold CQBSS is one of my favorite even with the price tag it has. Some shooters feel it is worth the coin and other do not.

Questions to ask yourself:
What is your budget?
What is your need?
Does it do what you need it to do?
For what it does is the price tag worth it to you?

I love the one I use.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e0x80c1jT0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST

I envision poor commercial sales of this scope in this economy. I also foresee major issues with dust/ sand accumulation under the clam-locks on the turrets, not to mention impact damage that could prevent adjusting your optic.

Leupold droppd off a couple of these at the office. I thought that they were ok but I didn't know how much they were at the time.

From talking with reps and so on Leupold didn't plan on making that many of the scopes to start with. Let alone a big military order for them.

Its a niche scope and unless you want to tool up and make thousands a year compared to the other more popular Leupold scopes the prices go up.

I also have the feeling that Leupold saw the prices that other scope companies are getting for their products the figured why not and raise their prices as well.

I left interest in Leupold when they hung the name Mark 4 on just about any black scope they made. For me, the only true Mark 4's were 10x and 16x power.

Would not pay the ticket for one myself.
I think they think we think a scope is not great until it costs thousands instead of hundreds. Therefore, they have decided to put out usual Leupold for unusual prices.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Leupold. Most of the rifles and carbines I own are wearing their glass. I've seen LS try to keep up with the European glass over the years with their LPS scopes, Euroscope, VX-7 and it seems to me that none of these were successful. Now to go full on Argentinian by tripling the price range of what their highest price scope has brought to date? I'm not gonna drink that koolaid. I'll agree that this is a ginchey piece of kit, but I'll stick with my first opinions, I don't see that value. I'd even look askance if it were 2-2.5k.

I've also noticed, at least it's my perception that their MSR increases has outpaced the Remchesters firearm increases over the years. Lots of optical products have. I don't know why that is! (other than everything is going up)

I know I'm barking up the wrong tree here as most of the high end slingshots on this site are way above my pay grade.
So in that regard, I'll acquiesce to Mike at CST with regards to budgetary concerns and discretionary funds. You have to pay to play.

Me? I think I'll look harder at Meopta. I just bought an R1 3-12 and it's dang sweet. Maybe their new 1-4x tactical deserves a look.

Happy Thanksgiving all, Especially to those in uniform.

Gary

The target market is military, I don't think they care about whether regular people buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreiaugen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The target market is military, I don't think they care about whether regular people buy it. </div></div>

Exactly- and not the wider military but a very small group of users in one or two specific Special Operations units. Those end users spec'ed the H27d version of the scope, and this is what Leupold has to charge to recoup their R&D and manufacturing investmenst based on the very small number of scopes those units would buy (probably no more than a few hundred). The Horus versions aren't even being made generally available to civilians yet, I suspect because they're so difficult and complex to manufacture. I know because I just watched the ridiculous hoops a buddy of mine in the industry had to go through to acquire one.

I first saw one of these more than two years ago in prototype form at a Jim Smith/Spartan Tactical class (he's also a consultant for Leupold). It was so complex to build, at the time he wasn't sure whether anyone outside his old Army unit would ever get their hands on one.

If we could just get Premier to put the Gen2 XR reticle in their 1-8x, that would be a comparable set-up for less money.

This has been hashed out over and over about this scope, Leupold is still the only one out there. Premier and S&B are still pending release of the True 1 power to 8 scopes. When they get out there and give the Leupold some competition hopefully the prices will drop.
And those special units will turn their Leupold in and get what ever scope does the job better and more efficiently. They have the money to get whatever they want even if they just got the Leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a lot of great Tactical scopes out there that will do the job well but I will say the Leupold CQBSS is one of my favorite even with the price tag it has. Some shooters feel it is worth the coin and other do not.

Questions to ask yourself:
What is your budget?
What is your need?
Does it do what you need it to do?
For what it does is the price tag worth it to you?

I love the one I use.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e0x80c1jT0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST
</div></div>

YES,+1000%.
I have a desire to make an assay yet March 1-10 MML.
I regret whatever March does not do H27/H37