• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MK4 3.5-10 (M3) vs. Weaver Tactical 3-15

smcfarland

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2011
Georgetown, TX
Folks,

Looking for some friendly advice for those with experience behind these two scopes. Mine is an older model purchased in 2007, and has been on my "do everything" 308 rig ever since. I like the M3 turrets as I am first and foremost a hunter, and prefer the ability to quickly dial my elevation. However, I've been considering the transition to a mil/mil setup for ease of use for some time now, and think this might be the way to go. I think I will be fine with the FFP and consider it a bonus as well. I have not seen the Weaver but have been doing quite a bit of research on it.
What I like about the Leupold has been its low light performance most of all, and have been able to shoot pigs with it out to 200 yds with a full moon and no spotlight. What I hate about it are the mushy turrets that refuse to line up correctly. That being said, it has worked well enough for me so far.
I'm not sure of the Leupold's value, but a bonus would be any extra money could be put towards the purchase of a Weaver Tactical Grand Slam for my son's .223 so that I can teach him mil/mil from the start.
80% of my shots are on critters (pigs, coyotes, and deer) under 200 yds, with the rest reaching out to 400. I'm not comfortable on fur past 400, but might start shooting paper/steel farther out. Rifle is an older (1970s) M700 with a decent amount of work done to it chambered in 308.
Money is tight, especially with the holidays, so I don't need recommendations for more expensive scopes.
Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Stefan

Re: Leupold MK4 3.5-10 (M3) vs. Weaver Tactical 3-15

I like FFP and mil/mil setup, as it makes calculation much easier. But for a hunting scope, the Leupold is 21oz, much lighter than the Weaver's 28oz, maybe that's more important than anything else. If most of your hunting is with in 400, why don't you check out the Weaver 3-10x40mm tactical (SFP mil/mil setup, 17oz). It's a MidwayUSA exclusive model, which is regularly discounted to $300. You can teach your son mil/mil on the 3-10 Weaver as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484

I have the same M3 scope as you that is now on one of my ARs. It's a pretty good scope, probably better than the Weaver. I would suggest you seriously consider just keeping your M3 scope and saving the money. For your shots out to 400 yards, having mil/mil doesn't simplify things all that much.

BAGunner,

There is definitely a Tactical Grand Slam in my son's future, just trying to scratch up the cash for it. Was thinking we'd make the transition together, but may just have to hang on to the Leupy for a little while longer (at least until hunting season is over with). Weight is starting to be an issue on the rifle as I'm up to 14 pounds unloaded already. Thanks for the help.

Stefan

Stefan,

I'd recommend keeping the Leupold also. I recently sent a scope with M3 turrets back due to the mushy feeling for them to take a look at/fix. I got it back a couple weeks later and the turrets are much better with positive clicks and they line up exact. Might be worth looking into after hunting season if the mushy turrets are bothersome. And good luck hunting.

Geb