• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MK4 Opinion

valentin_84

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
Arizona
I know a lot of you guys prefer USO and Nightforce over Leupold Mk4's. But in your opinion, since USO and Nightforce are around $2,000 (which is way out of my price range), is the Mk4 pretty much the best scope you can get for about $1,000?

I'm looking for a scope that can handle some rough trips that I can rely on for a very long time. Are the Mk4's still regarded as good as they used to be?

Re: Leupold MK4 Opinion

No, best bang for buck is the Vortex PST and Sightron SIII...by far. I would get a Vortex PST without any hesitation. I personally sold my $1,899 Leupold Mark IV and got the PST...glass was great, but the adjustments are better on the PST.

I have three MK4's and a PST, I can tell you all four of them are great scopes. I love them all and wouldn't give em up. The PST has to be the bang for buck, but my Leupold's are just a hair fairer in the image. But like I say, any of them would work great for you.

Also, if you are in the market with more or less 1k in hand, I'd get the SS 5-20, that's what my next scope will be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have three MK4's and a PST, I can tell you all four of them are great scopes. I love them all and wouldn't give em up. The PST has to be the bang for buck, but my Leupold's are just a hair fairer in the image. But like I say, any of them would work great for you.

Also, if you are in the market with more or less 1k in hand, I'd get the SS 5-20, that's what my next scope will be.</div></div>

What distance can you still see a .308 hole on a targe with these scopes?

You can spot .308 splat on painted steel targets at 1000 yards when the mirage is not in full glory, but that's just my experience. I don't shoot at paper unless it's at 100 yards or I'm sighting it in.

I have both Nightforce and Leupold.The Leupold Mark 4 scopes are just as good as any of the Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Leupold Mark 4 scopes are just as good as any of the Nightforce.</div></div>

I would say that is very debatable. When a company tells you that their room for error on having the reticle perfectly vertical is 3 degrees, and their zero stop keeps right on going past your zero; I would say it is a little less superior.

Leupolds are not what they used to be. They are still a good scope but I think that better opinions exist for less money these days. Vortex Viper PST, Sightron SIII, and the SWFA SS lines are all better products for less money IMHO.

I've had a couple of the Mark 4's and still have one of the FFP M5's - I can say the newer M5's are great, I do believe they were better than the M1's SFP's I had; I've never looked through a PST other than my 1-4, which has nice features, but the glass on my 4200 Bushy Elite was definitely better IMO. I have the Razor HD now and had a NF; are they better than the M5? Some, yes; a lot? I'd say no.

I use a Mark 4, 6.5x20 MD with M1 dial out to 1000 yards and wish that I could afford one or two more for my other rifles. I can see the X, in the X-ring, unless the miruage is really bad. I 've looked throught other guys NF and don't believe that they are any better. I don't like the FFP myself, on any scope, but it's an option if you want it.

I looked through a MK4 before I purchased my NF. I think the NF is slightly better in the glass area but either would of done the job I needed...but I just had to have a NF. I do like the turrets on the NF better than the M1 turrets on the MK4 didn't get to play with others. Hope it helps

While i've not looked through any PSTs, my father owns a good bit of leupolds, as does a friend, and my first mark 4 is coming in tomorrow. The leupolds are a little over priced IMO, but non the less a solid optic. Shop around and you can find em for around the price they're really worth. Leupold's are usually a very solid optic, and they have a decent history of being one.

I would choose the swfa SS HD or Mk4 scopes over the PST. Glass and matching reticle/turrets are more important than features. IMO

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAAM12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would choose the swfa SS HD or Mk4 scopes over the PST. Glass and matching reticle/turrets are more important than features. IMO

John </div></div>

????
The PST line has matched reticles/turrets. And glass quality is somewhat subjective. But the general consensus seems to be that PST scopes have pretty good optics.

MK-4's are good, PST are good, Nikon Tactical and X's are good, NF NXS are clearly better and I will know soon if the newest SS is good.

With that said, I would not buy a MK-4 or Nikon X at their current price levels. They are overpriced for what you get. (This excludes the new FFP M5's that I have yet to see in person.) If you want either of those just educate yourself (learn to spot a fake) and buy used.

I use a Mark 4, 6.5x20 MD with M1 dial out to 1000 yards and wish that I could afford one or two more for my other rifles. I can see the X, in the X-ring, unless the miruage is really bad. I 've looked throught other guys NF and don't believe that they are any better. I don't like the FFP myself, on any scope, but it's an option if you want it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AK Sgt Maj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Mark 4, 6.5x20 MD with M1 dial out to 1000 yards and wish that I could afford one or two more for my other rifles. I can see the X, in the X-ring, unless the miruage is really bad. I 've looked throught other guys NF and don't believe that they are any better. I don't like the FFP myself, on any scope, but it's an option if you want it.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AK Sgt Maj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Mark 4, 6.5x20 MD with M1 dial out to 1000 yards and wish that I could afford one or two more for my other rifles. I can see the X, in the X-ring, unless the miruage is really bad. I 've looked throught other guys NF and don't believe that they are any better. I don't like the FFP myself, on any scope, but it's an option if you want it.</div></div>

That has to be the longest echo I have heard or a new way to up your post count...

I had a USO and have had a few Mk4s and yes the USO is superior but like you said the cost is just that much more. My latest Mk4 is a new production 6.5-20x50 M1 w/TMR. The price was right (Promotive) and it's offering the power range I was looking for. I was considering the new M5 but it was an option I really didn't need so saved the money (dont need mil/mil or FFP).

I haven't had any issues with the Leupolds and that's why I keep buying them. Other folks haven't been so lucky though. If you want a Leupold keep a close eye on the sale section as older 10x Mk4s pop up and quite often for a very reasonable price and they are a great piece of glass for the money. I feel some of the other Mk4s that come up for sale are a bit pricey considering what a new one can be bought for when found on sale, shop around.

Todd

Have they sorted out their turrets and models yet? I wanted a mark 4 about a year ago and I spent ages trying to figure out all the different versions they had. The biggest problem at the time was that they didnt have one scope that had all the major features. They had things like mil reticle only with MOA turrets. Then there was zero stop on some but not others. Then there was no illumination on some but not all. Then there was no FFP option with everything. If they made a mil/mil zero stop illum ret with FFP at an affordable price they would smash the entry level market.

In the end I decided to step up and looked at all the NF models. By the time all the NF options were added the price was pretty high and it was going to be too big and heavy for hunting. Finally found the holy grail of scopes. Small, light, every feature - March tactical.

I stand by my post,I have a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 paid $1300.00 for it,and I have a Nightforce 12-42x56 paid $1850.00 for that one,just saying for the extra $550.00 the Nightforce is not that much better than the Leupold IMO

He wasn't commenting on the context of your post. He was commenting on the fact that you repeated yourself, almost verbatim, in the same thread.

I have a Mark IV and the optical quality, fit, finish, and adjustments are all, in my opinion, very good. However, as others have noted, Leupold seems to be a bit late to the game of addressing customer demands, like matching turrets to reticles and so forth. It has been my impression that Leupold is resting on their laurels a bit. As with any major investment, start with the features that are important to you and then look at price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Mark IV and the optical quality, fit, finish, and adjustments are all, in my opinion, very good.</div></div>

Ditto. I have the latest generation 8.5-25 Mark 4 and I can't find a single thing to complain about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BirdmanOz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have they sorted out their turrets and models yet?</div></div>

Yes. The latest Mark 4 models have .1mil turrets and mil reticles (MIL/MIL) with First Focal Plane of course. Mine has M5 turrets, TMR reticle, and FFP. The TMR is comparable to the P4 on the S&B, and the MLR2 on the NF F1 scope. The Leupold TMR reticle is superior to the MLR found on most NF scopes below the F1. Though I think they may be shipping the MLR2 now on more scopes. The TMR reticle gives you abilities to range with .1, .2, .5, and 1.0 mil increments. This is very handy when judging size/distance and also correcting follow-up shots.

You know, with the exception of the NF F1, all NF scopes are completely made in Japan and only assembled in US. Leupold Mark 4 scopes are made and assembled in USA with the only exception being the glass which comes from either Japan or Europe. I prefer to support US manufacturing.

I would get the 5-20 super sniper or 6-24 mil mil FFP PST. Checkout the multiple super sniper threads for details about it or call doug @ cameraland/scott libertyoptics for PST details + ordering information.

edit: most durable thing @ 1k will probably be a fixed power like the 10X super sniper, 10X USO, 10X leupold, etc etc.

I have owned USO, NF, Leupold, Nikon, IOR & Burris XTR scopes. I currently run a USO SN3 on my .308 & an older MK4 8.5-25x Mil-Dot on my .338LM. The MK4 is a 2004 production and a solid scope. Tracks well, returns to zero & no issues holding up on the .338.

IMO, surf the sale section and pick up an older MK4 or the Vari-X III LR/T (pre-MK4). There were less issues on the older Leupolds and solid pieces of kit. Is my MK4 as good as my USO.....no, but they aren't anywhere close in price.

My MK4 is serving me well where she sits and has a home. With my zero on my .338, still have 48.25 MOA of adjustment & will easily get past 1k.

In short, there is better glass out there. If you check the sales section, you can pick up an older MK4 and save yourself some coin.

Just got my Mark 4 MR/T in and so far i'm impressed. Clarity was pretty surprising. Of the 3 scopes i own it's 3rd best, but better than any of my fathers scopes in the gun cabinet IMO, most all his are leupolds just your average hunting optic. The only slight annoyance i have with it after getting behind the rifle and mounting it and all is the eye piece. It feels like if i move a mm off the direct center of my eye's line of sight through the optic i lose focus.

i have all of the top glass and mid and lower. imho the best bang for buck and the company, and customer service to back it all up is the vortex razor hd. it comes with all the accessories, top notch customer service, and hands down best warranty. night force is tits too but they loose in customer service and warranty. shmidt's and hendsolts well they are not in the bang for buck cat. and need no speaking on as we all know they are the cream of the crop. this is just my opinion with owned them all.