• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Leupold rx-1000 TBR ???

sparks1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
Minnesota
Looking for input on this model. Anyone use one? Never had a RF before and have limited funds to purchase. I know the Leica is preferred...this is in my price range.
Is it a decent RF for the money?

Re: Leupold rx-1000 TBR ???

Not familiar with the RX1000 but bought the Leupold RX4B a couple years ago which is rated at 1500 yds. on reflective 1000 on trees and suposedly 700 on dear and have used it quiet a bit and have never got it to range more than 838 yds on anything and very seldom past 800 yds. Seems to do good out to 700-725 but very iffy past that. Not satisfied at all with it per their hype on it. Was looking for one to range out past 1000, am looking at the Leica in the near future.

The RX-1000 TBR is pretty cool. IMHO, the key when buying a range finder is to match it to your purpose. What do you want to do with it? What range does it need to accurately range? In general, I would cut the rated range in half for practical use (ie RX-1000 should be reliable up to 500yds, on most surfaces).

I looked through an RX-1000 and liked it okay. Then I grabbed a Nikon and was blown away. The Nikons have much better optics for the range finders (unless Leupold changed their glass in the last year). The Nikon RifleHunter 1000 runs for the same price, has the same options, including the TTR (Tru-Target Ranging System), and has much better clarity and is brighter, IMO. Spend an extra $40 and get the Nikon Monarch Laser1200, and you'll get even better glass. Of course, YMMV.
Go to a Cabela's or other fine sporting goods store near you and do a comparison test to decide for yourself.
Or you can just spend the extra money and get the Leica. That works too.
smile.gif

As for the RX4B, I'm kind of sad to hear that they're not all they are made up to be. I was pretty intent on getting one, but now I'll have to change my mind.

what is going on?

is leupold going the way of kimber

start off awesome then get lazy because of success and turn into overrated

not the first i've heard of their products slipping ...and to think i've done my best work with their stuff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: klrb929</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is going on?

is leupold going the way of kimber

start off awesome then get lazy because of success and turn into overrated

not the first i've heard of their products slipping ...and to think i've done my best work with their stuff </div></div>
Dear Lord, don't get me started on my trials and tribulations with Kimber...