• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold vs. Nikon for a .223 5r

cgv69

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2009
Boone Co., KY
Hey guys,

New guy here. I’m expecting to pick up my first precision bolt gun this week and I need to find some glass for it. Here are the details…

Rifle = Remington 700 5r in .223, Range = 50-300yrds, Targets = Paper & steel. Budget = $600-$800. What I’m looking for in a scope…

Quality name brand with lifetime warranty, variable power in the 10x top end range, 30mm tube, ~40mm Objective, exposed target\tactical knobs w/.25 MOA adjustments, side focus A\O. I do not want a huge objective (50mm or larger) and I don’t want an illuminated reticule. The two scopes I have it narrowed down to are the Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 M1 and the Nikon Monarch X Tactical 2.5-10x44. Questions:

1. Between those 2, which one should I get and why? I have to tell you, I’m really leaning towards the Leupold as I am a big fan of that company. I am aware that Leupold’s reputation and QC has been lacking lately but their MK4 line still seems to be very good. Leupolds may not necessarily be the “best bang for the buck” anymore but as far as I can tell, they are a quality product made by a quality US company with one of the best warranties in the market. Those kind of details mean something to me. I also love their custom shop and knowing that should I desire to, I can always send the scope in for custom reticules or adjustment knobs for a reasonable price.

On the other hand, I am familiar with Nikon as a company and know they put out a quality product as well. Based off of my experience with their camera lens, I would assume that the glass in their scopes are top notch. Their product is a little less expensive which assuming the quality is there makes their scopes a better value. I did read that the current Monarch-X Tactical models are not as nice as the older Nikon Tactical line but I’m not sure what the differences are or how important they are? Is there a 3rd or 4th option I should be considering?

2. Will I regret not getting something with more magnification? Even though I listed the range as 50-300 yrds, the range I go to the most only goes out to 225yrds and feel that 10x is fine for that. On the other hand, who knows what options may open up to me in the future? I just know that when I’ve tried to using really high power scopes in the past, I did not like using them on their max settings because I found that head position\eye relief was too critical and it made it hard for me to get a good sight picture and hence they were unpleasant to use. Not sure how much if any the side focus will help with that? I have considered just getting a fixed power 10x but I’m not sure I want to go that route and the fixed power Leupold Mk4’s are out of my price range.

3. What reticle should I get? I know Mil-Dot’s are all the rage but honestly, I know I wouldn’t use them as a ranging tool. I would only possible use them as a quick way to adjust for hold-overs or wind adjustment without having to adjust the dials. The down side is they seem like they may obscure the target a little too much for my liking? I do like the TMR reticle as is does pretty much the same thing but is not as large or distracting as the standard Mil-Dot. Only problem is that Leupold wants an extra $100 for the TMR reticle over the duplex reticle (which I do think is BS) and I’m doubting it’s worth it in my case? It is nice to know that if I get the Leupold with the duplex reticle now and decide later that I really want the Mil-Dot or TMR reticle, I can always send it in and have it changed. With the Nikon, I will have to decide between their Plex and Mil-Dot up front and live with that decision.

4. Where to buy? I have a C&R license and get the dealer discount from places like Midway, Brownells, etc.. but I’m thinking there might be other dealers who sell for below Midway dealer prices?

Sorry for all of the detailed questions but this is a good chunk of change for me and I want to get the right, quality scope the first time. Any good input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Leupold vs. Nikon for a .223 5r

Welcome,complete your PROFILE.
For the range youll be shooting to id go with Mk4 3.5-10x40 or 10x fixed.No need to go with alot of power under 1000yds. Youll find several scopes for sale here in or close to your price range.
Ive never owned the Nikon tactical line but the buckmaster mildot 4.5-14x40 is also a great scope but lacks exposed turrets.
good luck.