• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-R wind plex fire dot

rcnut

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
does anyone have any experience with these scopes, I am looking at 4-12x50 for my 6.5 CM with the wind plex fire dot reticle ? my first plan is to extend myself out to 600 yds for now until I get comfortable going farther. old eyes and age will determine my distance.. this will be used for hunting and some long range steel. thank you for all your comments.

Ive owned some Vxr scopes and they are pretty decent. I like that the illumination shuts off and turns on my itself. The scopes are pretty light and do well for hunting. The windplex is a plus, if your scope has the cds dial, you can dial for elevation and hold for wind. Only thing is the magnification is order of 3 so a bit high for stalking (x4) but it should do. The glass it about between VX2 and VX3.

Now not sure where you are buying the VXr, but for a hunting scope, the VX6 are reduced at Eurooptic , better glass and x2 at the lower end and x12 at the higher with a 42 objective. The only thing is no wind holds just something to consider. http://www.eurooptic.com/leupold-tactical-optics-vx6-2-12x42-scopes.aspx

going to buy it direct from Leupold, active duty military and police get a discount that is about 50% , you have to register at their web site and can purchase 1 a year. if the VX6 would have the wind plex I would seriously get that one. thank you for your reply

I would definitely get something with an elevation turret if you want to go to 600 yards, cds is fine, but holding over will be a bitch that far out with out a turret. I also don't see the windplex as a reticle option in the 4-12x50.

OK, another scope to consider is the Leupold LRP. It is a no frills VX3i that is lightwieght, has elevation turret, exposed or capped windage, Mil Mil, FFP with mag knob. If your rifle serves primary duty as a hunter with some steel in the off season, this one is a pretty good option. Only thing is no illumination, but has side parallax. I use this one for my Tikka CTR.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...es/vx-3i-lrp-4-5-14x50mm-30mm-side-focus-moa/

spfi7980 I checked leupold and they do have a 4-12x50 in the wind plex reticle #120621 with the CDS dial turrent. and thank you to those that answered, I really do all of your inputs. thank you

spfi7980 I checked leupold and they do have a 4-12x50 in the wind plex reticle #120621 with the CDS dial turrent. and thank you to those that answered, I really do all of your inputs. thank you

Huh, on their website it shows up under the 40mm (#120620) but not in the 50mm section however the part number does return results elsewhere on the web.

Just an FYI: the non custom cds cap that comes on it from the factory isnt limited to one revolution so that will allow you to stretch it out further but the custom cds dial that you can send in for is limited to one revolution which should be 15 moa. With a 6.5 pushing a 142 matchking at 2800 fps a quick jbm calc says that you could get to 670 with 15 moa so it would accommodate your immediate goal of 600. I personally would leave it in the factory condition though so that I could get multiple rotations to reach out to 1k some day but it doesnt offer a zero stop. Just something to be aware of. For deer hunting I would want a zero stop which is the custom turret just as peace of mind but for targets I would want multiple rotations which is the factory turret but it doesnt have a zero stop. So its sort of an either or proposition.

One point of inquiry. If your eyes are failing you why dont you get a scope with a higher top end magnification?