• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Leupold ?

i just sent one in for a crooked crosshair, will have to wait and see if they fix it........it was around 10-15 degrees off.......

Holy crap! 10-15 degrees seems like a mile! How did that one slip past QC? Keep us posted on how Leupold corrects the issue for you.

Here is a pic of what it looked like sitting on a level surface aimed at a level piece of wood, it is at leupold now they are saying 1-2months to fix it.

IHMIEEk.jpg

BCP:

Which model of Leupold is that? I won a rimfire rifle with a sub $50 Tasco scope, from a local raffle, a few years back.....the reticle looked very much like that. Looking at your reticle.....all I can muster is "Wow!" I would have thought the QC at Leupold would be light years better than the lowly Tasco I had won.

Guys....Are these scopes from the same lines?? I realize these are made all over the world....but perhaps there's a line to avoid? VX??

I thought loopy's were built in Oregon? I've only sent one to them over the years, a MK4 that I wanted to change the reticle. Had it back in two weeks.

I think they are like most of the big companies.....have lines built in China, Philippines and Japan. Seems like.......at first blush....the lower end units come from China...next up Philippines and then the top tier from Japan. I'm sure this isn't a 100% hard and fast rule.....but seems to be a trend.

I think they are like most of the big companies.....have lines built in China, Philippines and Japan. Seems like.......at first blush....the lower end units come from China...next up Philippines and then the top tier from Japan. I'm sure this isn't a 100% hard and fast rule.....but seems to be a trend.

This is incorrect. Even the lowest line (redfield) is assembled and QC'd in Oregon. They do source some parts overseas, but are still assembled here at the least. Their mid and higher end lines have most components made here except some small parts and glass... at least as of a couple years ago and I don't think it has changed. That said, canted reticles have plagued Leupold since I can remember, I've gotten a few. They get them fixed but it's a wonder how some of them ever make it through QC seeing how extremely canted some have been. On the grand scale of things the percentage that make it out with canted reticles is pretty low, but it obviously happens.

This is incorrect. Even the lowest line (redfield) is assembled and QC'd in Oregon. They do source some parts overseas, but are still assembled here at the least. Their mid and higher end lines have most components made here except some small parts and glass... at least as of a couple years ago and I don't think it has changed. That said, canted reticles have plagued Leupold since I can remember, I've gotten a few. They get them fixed but it's a wonder how some of them ever make it through QC seeing how extremely canted some have been. On the grand scale of things the percentage that make it out with canted reticles is pretty low, but it obviously happens.

I built computers as a kid for HP using parts from overseas and they were just as big a piece of shit as the competitor. They got that "Made in USA" sticker though. Yep, that $2000 in 1990's dollars HP computer was made by a kid in AL from parts made by 10yo children in China.

I don't put much value in "assembled in USA" with outsourced parts.

That said, my Mk4 M/RT isn't a bad scope (never had to send it back) but with their new scheme, it'll be the last one. The whole "not selling Mk4's to civilians" was bullshit drummed up by the top to sell more scopes. Their profits are falling off so they figured they'd make an "exclusive military line" of shit and charge more for it. Your new Mk4 will be coming from either the custom shop or from a "designated dealer" (ie, fucking monopoly). Told the guy on the phone he better hot trot my message upstairs if they want to keep selling Mk4's because the Army isn't a very reliable partner when it comes to getting shit they adopt made cheaper.

I heard about the same a long time ago, shit made overseas, tiers of quality based on country with Japan first, assembled in USA.

Color me wrong, but China DOES make some quality shit, I've just never seen it for sale here.

I built computers as a kid for HP using parts from overseas and they were just as big a piece of shit as the competitor. They got that "Made in USA" sticker though. Yep, that $2000 in 1990's dollars HP computer was made by a kid in AL from parts made by 10yo children in China.

I don't put much value in "assembled in USA" with outsourced parts.

That said, my Mk4 M/RT isn't a bad scope (never had to send it back) but with their new scheme, it'll be the last one. The whole "not selling Mk4's to civilians" was bullshit drummed up by the top to sell more scopes. Their profits are falling off so they figured they'd make an "exclusive military line" of shit and charge more for it. Your new Mk4 will be coming from either the custom shop or from a "designated dealer" (ie, fucking monopoly). Told the guy on the phone he better hot trot my message upstairs if they want to keep selling Mk4's because the Army isn't a very reliable partner when it comes to getting shit they adopt made cheaper.

I heard about the same a long time ago, shit made overseas, tiers of quality based on country with Japan first, assembled in USA.

Color me wrong, but China DOES make some quality shit, I've just never seen it for sale here.

It's easy to speculate why Leupold said no more MK4's to civilians but unless you're in the know any assumption is pure speculation. I'm not in the know to this therefor I have no idea, but that's not what would stop me from buying one. What would stop me is them pricing themselves out of what optics with their feature set are worth.

Regarding being overseas and different countries and tiers, while this is very common for the optics industry now, it's not how Leupold operates.

Chinese optics in general are shit, but there are some manufacturers that are sourcing some parts from China that do pretty damn good. In the respective price points all of the lines of Leupold do have good reliability and quality for the most part.

It's an M3 that I have had for a really loooooooong time sent it off to Leupold for a reticule swap and that was what I got.

As for leupold their new "Mark 4" is called an "LRP" I bought one to try it out because I am brave/stupid and it was the same price as an old model PST. So far so good but I keep waiting for the elevation knob to fall off or something.

Mine is a Mk 4 as well. I've sent 3 others back for reticle changes an all are/were good. This one is so far off, beginning to think I'd rather have a robot build an QC stuff from them. They must be getting paid piece work. They will fix it w/o issue, but the hassle makes me want to look else where next time.

I swear my MK6 has a canted reticle also, I thought it was just me. Im thinking of sending mine back, have that corrected, general health of the scope checked out and switching the turrets to the newer ones. I gotta check mine out again before I send it on. But yeah, how the heck do these scopes make it through QC with such terrible problems?

Just got back my Mk 6 3-18 from Leupold Service. It took about 4-6 weeks. There was some anodizing that flaked off on the inside. It looks like they corrected that and what was nice about their service department is that they sent the scope back with a checklist of things they looked at besides just the stated issue I had.

Just got back my Mk 6 3-18 from Leupold Service. It took about 4-6 weeks. There was some anodizing that flaked off on the inside. It looks like they corrected that and what was nice about their service department is that they sent the scope back with a checklist of things they looked at besides just the stated issue I had.

4-6 weeks, jeez, Leupold is killing me!

Mine left yesterday 3/28/17 so we'll see how long it takes. I've had 3 reticles changed an door to door was less than 3 weeks (but I was paying).
Long ago (04-05) I had (2) 4.5x14's they turned around in two weeks DTD an both were on their nickle so we'll see how things have changed.

Ok guys. Let me clear up some stuff about Leupold. Bear in mind that I have no love for them, especially since they laid me off after 18 years of employment assembling their products. With that in mind, here is the truth about them:

Leupold scopes, (with the exception of the now defunct Redfield Revenge product line, those were sourced from the Philippines') have all of their metal machined parts machined and finished in Beaverton Oregon. Their machine shop is actually rather impressive, They have tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars in turning centers there. They are the second largest consumer of aluminum bar stock on the west coast after Boeing. Small parts like screws, some steel parts, springs, O-rings, plastic parts and the like are purchased from other vendors, typically locally or of U.S. origin. Even the electronics for all their scopes with illuminated reticles are of local manufacture. The Beaverton/Hillsboro area of Oregon is called the silicon forest for a reason after all. All of the glass is sourced from overseas from anyone that can supply the quality and quantity that Leupold requires. This is not unique to Leupold, pretty much everyone in the optics industry sources their glass from overseas from the large lens manufacturers that are all over Asia.

Basic rule of thumb, if it has a gold ring or is part of the tactical line, then it is machined and assembled here, this includes the gold ring and Mark 4 spotting scopes. Pretty much all of their binoculars, range finders and some spotting scopes are OEM Leupold branded products that are typically manufactured overseas. They have, in the past, built their own binoculars domestically, and they were actually fantastic, but very expensive and not great sellers, many did not want to spend the money on them. Their new thermal optic is built for them from a California company but I am not sure if it is domestic or not. I think that it might be because of ITAR, but not positive.

Again, let me reiterate that I have no love for Leupold. For years I tried to get them to address things like the canted reticle issue and their ignoring of the tactical and long range precision market while constantly catering exclusively to the dwindling Fudd shooters and not being truly innovative. All it got me was a reputation for being too critical and laid off. For years I bought only Leupold for my firearms and I still have many. I would look down my nose at Bushnell and Nikon and the like. Well times have certainly changed. Bushnell is no longer the lower tier that they used to be. New companies like Vortex are coming up with fantastic and innovative products. Today, with very few exceptions (the DeltaPoint Pro come to mind. I have 4), I will not touch a Leupold with a ten foot pole, and I still have many friend and contacts there so I can still get the employee price for anything that they make. For years their concept of innovative was gimmicky crap, like the VX-3L line or the DEVO (great $2000 brass deflector) or the "bone" that threw at us this year with the VX-3i LRP. However, all of the people that say that all their parts or many of their products are made overseas are just plain incorrect. In fairness they do deserve their due.

Thus endeth my lesson and rant. Just Sayin'...

Laid off after 18 years of service, what a bunch of shit bags... you were probably making too much money at that point so they felt they would lay you off and bring someone else in that they could pay less money... This is what the world's coming to...