• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold's TMOA as a Hunting Reticle?

huntfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Is the TMOA "bold" enough in a non-illuminated unit to work well as a big game reticle in low light conditions? Considering a 4-24x52 VX-6.

I don't have an answer for you, but am wondering the same thing. I was almost set to go with a NF 3.5-15x50 or 5.5-22x50 w/MOAR when I saw the Leupold option. Mine will also be on a precision hunting rifle, so saving a half pound of weight vs the NF would be nice. Looking forward to what others have to say.

SFP scope. Not sure where magnification equals a MOA reticle.

Also considering the VX-6 4-24x52. However, Leupold says it is a SFP target reticle set for 24X...I'd be looking for a FFP to use TMOA at any power!

I have used a number of scopes, I prefer the Leupold, probably because they have worked for me and I never saw a reason to change.

The one thing I would not go with is unilluminated. The reason is that as the light gets into twilight the reticle merges with the background and it simply becomes very difficult to see. Remember that the illumination is adjustable. I don't think that I have ever had it much more than 1 or 2 but it sets it away from the background and for that matter the target.

Charles

Can anyone answer me this? zWhy does leupold leave ceter of the TMR, and TMoa recticle empty? How can that be precise?

I need to see that intersection point to be precise, I dont understand how it can work.

Can anyone answer me this? zWhy does leupold leave ceter of the TMR, and TMoa recticle empty? How can that be precise?

I need to see that intersection point to be precise, I dont understand how it can work.

I really like the open center. I think your eye finds the center just like with an aperture sight.

Same here, BUT I can not find the exact Aperture Hole size of TMOA on Leopold Ret. schematic/diagram .
Tmoa Aperture Hole might be bigger ? . I really want to get a comparison side x side .

TMR Ret. It is Persis for aiming & I like it also . I find it very acceptable for hitting anything size target, at any range I put the POA
It's NOT a big gaping hole . 'Aperture Hole' is only the size/width of the laser etched subtension mark itself .
When @ ( 8x Power ) . the hole is ( 0.18 Mil )
When @ ( 25x Power ) . The hole is ( 0.06 Mil )

TMR Schematic

TMR_Subtensions02_zps94e769e8.gif

-

I'm with you. If this reticle actually came to a true crosshair in the middle, I'd buy one. But for long range work, I can't imagine leaving an open center area.

the TMR in the mk6 that the NZ army got for it's DWM has a dot in the middle.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 91
Leupold has a new MOA reticle out, it is called the TS-32X1. It is kinda designed like the Horus

The opening in the center is a little less than the size of a 7mm bullet hole at 100 yards on 24x. I have the 4x24 on my hunting rifle and its an excellent reticle... I was having the same reservations