• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Lever Action thread

So.... Marlin vs Henry for a modern/tacticool .45-70..... Looking to eventually run a can on it.
Opinions?
Pros and Cons?

So.... Marlin vs Henry for a modern/tacticool .45-70..... Looking to eventually run a can on it.
Opinions?
Pros and Cons?
Henry is probably all you're going to find on the shelves until Ruger gets the Marlin facility back up and running. Nothing wrong with the Henry. You can get it with or without the side loading gate in some models.

This was fun. Three Marlins, 45-70, 30-30, and .45 Colt. All with identical XS rails and ghost ring sights. A Luepold 1.5-4 IER scope with quick release rings. Then I made a data card with the adjustments for each caliber. The idea was successful. Zero is pretty close when swapping the scope around, once all the adjustments are made. There isn't much that can't be hunted with that combination.
Collection4.JPG

Last edited:
Hope Im not hijacking the tread but I have a Lever question, or Marlin really.

I bought a Marlin 94, 38/357 Cowboy in '95 or '96. I heard at one point marlin went to hell, maybe when Remington bought them I dont know.

How does the early-mid 90s fit in the good-bad Marlin '94s?

Most people consider Marlin quality acceptable before 2010, when purchased be Remington. Pre Remington barrels are marked JM. The mid 90s were fine. Hardcore Marlin owners say the best were pre cross bolt safety.

Reactions: Modoc
Pre 2010 Marlins arent without their problems. I've owned 8 or 10 over the years and there were more problematic ones than not.
I had a 30as in .30-30 and an 1894 .44 mag that had bulged chambers. Had to drive the fired cases out with a metal rod. I sent the 30as back to Marlin and they rebarreled it free even though I wasn't the original owner.
Had a pair of 444's, one, had a tight spot on the inside of the reciever that was narrower that the cartridge rim, and if you tried to chamber a round with the muzzle pointed down it would jam. Worked fine muzzle up.
The other 444, mid 70's production, had a badly pitted bore but still shot accurately. I figured it was due to neglect but I mentioned to a friend said he said he'd bought an 1895 45-70 in that time frame that had a pitted bore from the factory. He returned it and Marlin put on a new barrel.
Had a second 1894 44 mag a while back, it and the one with the bulged chamber had feed problems. Up until the mid- late 90's the 1894's lacked actual cartridge stops. They relied on a hump on the carrier and cartridge o.a.l. to feed reliably. If the cartridge was a cunnion too short the one behind it would would stick out of the magazine and bind the carrier, if it was too long the hump on the carrier would stop it before it was completely out of the magazine and bind the carrier when you tried to close the action. It's easy to spot an 1894 that has feed problems, just look for scratches and gouges around the ejection port where previous owners have tried to clear jams with pocket knives, screw drivers, hacksaw blades ect.
Marlin corrected that in later models, those are dual caliber marked and most if not all have the liability safety.

Customized Chiappa 1886 Ridge Runner

Attachments

• D420ACBC-B7F5-44D7-82B2-AF808C9397A5.jpeg
    D420ACBC-B7F5-44D7-82B2-AF808C9397A5.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 403F3D71-4264-4E90-92EE-6B2042A9F3A8.jpeg
    403F3D71-4264-4E90-92EE-6B2042A9F3A8.jpeg
    725.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 92A739BD-77FE-4307-9329-42590741AB0C.jpeg
    92A739BD-77FE-4307-9329-42590741AB0C.jpeg
    737.3 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: Blazin and 260284
I am a lever action fan but what am I missing on this one....these have an MSRP around 1000 bucks....going for over 5k?

No way someone is paying that.

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 1.03.32 PM.png

• Wow
Reactions: BCX
I am a lever action fan but what am I missing on this one....these have an MSRP around 1000 bucks....going for over 5k?

No way someone is paying that.
It is insane. I want a dark 30-30 but not paying more than MSRP.

Reactions: FuhQ
This is just the insanity of the current market. Pay it if you really want it. I bet you can find better deals in pawn shops. Otherwise think of that $5k as including a$4500 convenience fee.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ and BCX
Hmmm today at the Costa Mesa gun show was a Browning 71 Deluxe in 348 winchester for 1600. It was gorgeous. Maybe I should have bought it.:unsure:

Just got introduced to lever actions. I’m looking for a Henry Big Boy Mod X .357. They are either out of stock or on Gunbroker for way too much $$$. I found a Henry BB steal in .357 @ Brownells for $829.00 and ordered that. Still want the mod x, just not willing to pay those prices. I’ll wait for them to come back in stock.

Just got introduced to lever actions. I’m looking for a Henry Big Boy Mod X .357. They are either out of stock or on Gunbroker for way too much $$$. I found a Henry BB steal in .357 @ Brownells for $829.00 and ordered that. Still want the mod x, just not willing to pay those prices. I’ll wait for them to come back in stock.
Jesus, i paid just over 700 for mine about 6 months back brand new. I will say this, i wrote henry a letter saying how much i liked the rifle and mr. Imperato himself wrote me back, a few times. That kind of hands on leadership wins me over big time. There are a few more rifles of theirs i want and even if i had to pay extra i feel like they are worth it. The slogan made in America or not made at all, well they sent me a free hat and a key chain and a coffee mug just cause. When they arrived you bet the first thing i did was check the tags. Everything was made in U.S.A. even their give away swag.... brought a tear to my eye.

Jesus, i paid just over 700 for mine about 6 months back brand new. I will say this, i wrote henry a letter saying how much i liked the rifle and mr. Imperato himself wrote me back, a few times. That kind of hands on leadership wins me over big time. There are a few more rifles of theirs i want and even if i had to pay extra i feel like they are worth it. The slogan made in America or not made at all, well they sent me a free hat and a key chain and a coffee mug just cause. When they arrived you bet the first thing i did was check the tags. Everything was made in U.S.A. even their give away swag.... brought a tear to my eye.
That kind of loyalty to customers and country is what more industries need. We would be much better off if that was the standard.

Well not the one I thought I ordered by the picture. The one I ordered was $829 and the large loop lever was priced at $849. I like it so, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. I am going to modernize this one and make it look tactical and then suppress it.

View attachment 7599586
Nice, doesnt look like it has a threaded barrel from the photo or am i not seeing it.

Well not the one I thought I ordered by the picture. The one I ordered was $829 and the large loop lever was priced at $849. I like it so, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. I am going to modernize this one and make it look tactical and then suppress it.

View attachment 7599586
At least the magazine tube is far enough back it won't need to be modified to thread the barrel.

Don't mind me, I'm recovering from another round of knee surgery and have been plumbing the depths of SH for entertainment... 😎

This custom Marlin 1895 Outback Guide Stainless Scout was thoroughly massaged by Lew Bonitz of Grizzly Custom Guns. Chambered in .45-70 Gov’t and paired with a Leupold 1.5 - 5x VX-R Scout scope, this lever gun is about as versatile as it gets. If you hand load, you can tailor your ballistics to fit everything from light target loads to the massive Garrett 540 grain Super Hard Cast bear, elk, and dinosaur loads. Without question, my favorite hunting rifle for squirrels, or anything else under 300 yds.

I recently picked up some of the Garret dinosaur rounds to help with our squirrel infestation. These 540 gr. +P SuperHardCast Hammerheads leave the barrel at roughly 1,550 fps and pack a walloping 2,880 ft./lbs. of energy. This load is exclusively carried by NOAA and the U.S. Geological Survey for protection against grizzly attacks. Can’t wait to see how they fair against my local squirrel population this spring!

Attachments

• Marlin Grizzly - 02.JPEG
    Marlin Grizzly - 02.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • Marlin Grizzly - 03.JPEG
    Marlin Grizzly - 03.JPEG
    261.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Marlin Grizzly - 01.JPEG
    Marlin Grizzly - 01.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
OK, read the thread, doing other research. About to spring for a .38/357 lever gun. I'm going to be rolling my own pills - is there something that I need to be on the lookout for to avoid for certain models in this regard? This will not be a safe queen, its going to get used quite a bit.

OK, read the thread, doing other research. About to spring for a .38/357 lever gun. I'm going to be rolling my own pills - is there something that I need to be on the lookout for to avoid for certain models in this regard? This will not be a safe queen, its going to get used quite a bit.

I would stick with either the Marlin 1894 or Henry big boy models, preferably side loading gate but thats just preference. If you're going to be running full house .357 handloads, its usually recommended to stay away from the the 1873 models or similar models as their action and bolt systems aren't as robust.

Personally I can't stand rifles that don't have a side loading gate but again thats preference and depends what you're doing with it. I walk the woods with mine and I'm usually plinking a lot with it, so being able to plus up the magazine without having to take the damn thing apart is a must for me.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Marlin or Winchester is fine in 357. No worries on pressure for full power loads, IMO. On the other hand, if you are getting a 357 because you think you can share ammo with your revolver, probably don't. The bores are not going to slug the same. In any case, as a practical rifle, 45-70 is probably the right spot to be, and 44 mag is not bad. 357 lever actions are a hoot to shoot, but there is not a ton of power there if you are going to be shooting game.

Found a beat up 9422 and had a friend ceracoat it, then sanded the wood and painted it black. The finish is matt, still shows some pitting, wood still shows a few dings.

A friend donated a mount for the dovetail top so I didn’t have to drill and tap, and I bought the Holosun 407C in the classifieds.

Took it out today for a shoot and really like this.

160806.jpeg

Found a beat up 9422 and had a friend ceracoat it, then sanded the wood and painted it black. The finish is matt, still shows some pitting, wood still shows a few dings.

A friend donated a mount for the dovetail top so I didn’t have to drill and tap, and I bought the Holosun 407C in the classifieds.

Took it out today for a shoot and really like this.

160806.jpeg
You should strip the paint and stain it super dark so some wood grain shows up.

Reactions: Hardpan
What do you plan on using it for?

The Uberti (Winchester) 1873 is the go-to for Cowboy Action Shooting. With a little smoothing and new springs it can be run faster than any other lever on the market, especially if you also go with a short-stroke kit. This potential for speed comes at the potential expense of durability if you like to run full-power or hot-rodded loads. Top eject prevents traditional optics mounting. Not sensitive to OAL or bullet profile.

If you want a hunting rifle the Winchester 1892 is generally considered the strongest of the pistol caliber lever action rifles. This rifle can be made to run extremely fast with smoothing/polishing and new springs. Top eject prevents traditional optic mounting. Susceptible to OAL issues, especially in the 357 Mag/38 Special chambering. Once you find a bullet profile/length combination that works, it's pretty reliable.

Marlin 1894 also benefits from smoothing/polishing and new springs. It can also be very fast to operate. Not typically as sensitive to OAL as the Win 1892 (clones) but still can be temperamental sometimes. Side eject with solid top that's drilled/tapped means you can mount most any optic. JM Marlins are commanding a higher price but there are issues with them as well. Early Remington made Marlins had a very bad reputation - some could not be made to run at all. Later Remington made Marlins seemed to function well. Ruger made Marlins are supposed to be on shelves in December - we'll have to wait and see how they operate.

Henry lever actions are very well made, strong guns. They are not fast and can't be made to run fast (as compared to the above listed rifles). They are side eject with drilled/tapped solid top receivers so you can mount optics. I do not know if they are sensitive to OAL or bullet profiles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for hunting were I in the market.

Been looking for one of these on a shelf for years. Every time, any gun store, I would look for brass rifles and go check. Walked into a new Sportsman's Warshouse that just opened then asked for one that wasn't finger fucked. Just ordered new cleaning rod and supplies today.

Henry 45-70. Not sure if I want to put a scope on it or not. Looking at a Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36.
20211008_192215.jpg

What do you plan on using it for?

The Uberti (Winchester) 1873 is the go-to for Cowboy Action Shooting. With a little smoothing and new springs it can be run faster than any other lever on the market, especially if you also go with a short-stroke kit. This potential for speed comes at the potential expense of durability if you like to run full-power or hot-rodded loads. Top eject prevents traditional optics mounting. Not sensitive to OAL or bullet profile.

If you want a hunting rifle the Winchester 1892 is generally considered the strongest of the pistol caliber lever action rifles. This rifle can be made to run extremely fast with smoothing/polishing and new springs. Top eject prevents traditional optic mounting. Susceptible to OAL issues, especially in the 357 Mag/38 Special chambering. Once you find a bullet profile/length combination that works, it's pretty reliable.

Marlin 1894 also benefits from smoothing/polishing and new springs. It can also be very fast to operate. Not typically as sensitive to OAL as the Win 1892 (clones) but still can be temperamental sometimes. Side eject with solid top that's drilled/tapped means you can mount most any optic. JM Marlins are commanding a higher price but there are issues with them as well. Early Remington made Marlins had a very bad reputation - some could not be made to run at all. Later Remington made Marlins seemed to function well. Ruger made Marlins are supposed to be on shelves in December - we'll have to wait and see how they operate.

Henry lever actions are very well made, strong guns. They are not fast and can't be made to run fast (as compared to the above listed rifles). They are side eject with drilled/tapped solid top receivers so you can mount optics. I do not know if they are sensitive to OAL or bullet profiles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for hunting were I in the market.
It’s going to be a hunting/truck gun.

This Henry 45/70 is the only one of mine I can find a pic of at the moment. I'm really wanting to find either a Marlin Dark or Henry X in 45 Colt. I have a few different levers. They're just fun little truck and plinking guns. I have a pre '64 Winchester 94 in 30-30 that I inherited from my Father. Damn thing will drop the hammer if you just look at it wrong. Haven't had it out of the safe since the mid-90s for that reason, back before you could just Google and find a gunsmith to fix whatever you needed. I really need to get it in and fixed up. My Father always carried and primarily shot levers, so I'll always be a little sentimental about them.

20200707_132604.jpg

Reactions: Hardpan
Anybody know where I can get a marlin 336 dark in 3030?

Been wanting a short barreled lever gun for hunting the brush. I wanna run my TBAC on it too...

I’ve had three Marlins over the years, a short 45-70 Guide Gun, a 26” octagon barreled 45-70 that I had a tang peep sight installed on, and a run of the mill 30-30 that I bought on an out-of-town hunt when I realized I left my ammo for the old Lazz Warbird back at home. That was the my first lever gun and it got me hooked. I used to hunt with hand loaded 130 grain Hornady spire point pistol bullets loaded hot at 2650ish, one in the chamber and only one in the tube. Dropped two deer at 289 yards once with it. They stopped making those bullets a while back but they were great for whitetails. Ended up selling all three of the rifles over the years and miss shooting them now. Hoping Ruger can manufacture a solid Marlin because I really want another 45-70.

Anyone have a 30 30 takeoff barrel? The project i have, the barrel is terribly rusted.
It takes a Gorilla to get a 30-30 barrel off, plus head spacing is a bitch, so that’s not a particularly common buy.

I was lucky that only the muzzle end of my barrel was rusty, so I could chop it down without SBRing it. Other people have had great success making it a 35 caliber of some kind.

3FDDB70B-B7A2-4686-904B-0EEF468BA8FB.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s going to be a hunting/truck gun.

My vote is still a .357/.38. No it doesn't have the power of 44mag or 45-70 but if you're only hunting deer sized animals and smaller, its plenty of power with a good hand load. Use Lil Gun, 2400, 300-MP, or other similar slower powder and you'll get some pretty serious velocities with 180 hard cast bullets or the 158 XTP FP's. This also depends on where you live too... If I was in the Rockies, then ya 45-70 all day. Of if I was out west and I took longer shots regularly, then ya 45-70 or maybe 30-30...but I'm in Ohio, so I don't see any reason a 357 can't do everything I need.

More ammo, cheaper and easier to make, you can easily run subs or full power loads. Good crossover with revolvers if you have one in your truck also.

I cut my mag spring down and run a Ranger Point Precision follower and I can fit 9 - 38's or 8 - 357's in the tube. Plus the 6 rds in the Hoptic USA saddle and 7 in my buttstock saddle. So 10+6+7 = 23rds on the gun.

So 23rds, suppressor, O-Light and everything else you see is right at 9lbs even. Pretty versatile gun especially if you're looking for all purpose hunting/truck gun. ALSO -- my Marlin 1894 is a mid 2010's model and it functions flawlessly. Very smooth with 3 different 38 factory rds, 2 different 357 factory loads, and 4 different handloads. 158 XTP's, 125 Coated Cast, 180 hard cast, and 158 cowboy cast.

IMG-7162.jpg

Last edited:
My vote is still a .357/.38. No it doesn't have the power of 44mag or 45-70 but if you're only hunting deer sized animals and smaller, its plenty of power with a good hand load. Use Lil Gun, 2400, 300-MP, or other similar slower powder and you'll get some pretty serious velocities with 180 hard cast bullets or the 158 XTP FP's. This also depends on where you live too.

More ammo, cheaper and easy to make, you can easily run subs or full power loads. Good crossover with revolvers if you have one in your truck also.

I cut my mag spring down and run a Ranger Point Precision follower and I can fit 9 - 38's or 8 - 357's in the tube. Plus the 6 rds in the Hoptic USA saddle and 7 in my buttstock saddle. So 10+6+7 = 23rds on the gun.

So 23rds, suppressor, O-Light and everything else you see is right at 9lbs even. Pretty versatile gun especially if you're looking for all purpose hunting/truck gun. ALSO -- my Marlin 1894 is a mid 2010's model and it functions flawlessly. Very smooth with 3 different 38 factory rds, 2 different 357 factory loads, and 4 different handloads. 158 XTP's, 125 Coated Cast, 180 hard cast, and 158 cowboy cast.

View attachment 7718539
You and I are on the same wavelength. Appreciate the info.

Question for you lever experts. Are any or all of these cartridges safe to use in a tube? The nose on the Remington is the same size as the primer.

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 63
I’ve never had any issues with any of those bullets types in my 38/357 Rossi lever gun.

Reactions: Stev0
Been looking for one of these on a shelf for years. Every time, any gun store, I would look for brass rifles and go check. Walked into a new Sportsman's Warshouse that just opened then asked for one that wasn't finger fucked. Just ordered new cleaning rod and supplies today.

Henry 45-70. Not sure if I want to put a scope on it or not. Looking at a Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36.
View attachment 7717985
That is nice! I’d buy that in a heartbeat if I see one.