• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lever rifle section idea

tomcat mv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
So here it is. While I know this site is really dedicated to precision shooting, I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in a "lever gun" section. While I know lever guns are not necessarily the most accurate guns out there, I sure love shooting mine. I have a Legacy Sports Puma in a heavy octagonal barrel .357 mag that is nicely made and a joy to shoot, I also have an old (1917) Win 94 in the good old 30-30 that still shoots great and a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. Anyway, just floating the idea out there, would be good to see some input on load data, maintenance, hunting/shooting experiences, etc. So no harm, no foul if LL or the mods want to nix the idea.

Maybe include slide action and break barrels as well, pretty much anything not bolt/semiauto.
On the topic of new sections, any interest in Registered Destructive Devices, 20mm canons,mortars,etc.? Figured I'd toss it out there.:)

This idea may be better received if you could "tacticalize" a lever gun. Paint it in "tactical" colors, etc. Some of the BLR's are pretty accurate! Don't forget adding, lights, lasers, backup sights, flash hider, and a tactical can opener!

I don't know if this idea will fly on SH? But, I can tell you my .357 Rossi 92 is a hoot to shoot and very accurate for what it is.

I think it was "Handloader" magazine a while back ran some articles on accurized leverguns, demonstrated some nice shooters. They don't get as much love from the benchrest community because they're more difficult to operate from a bench, but they can be made to shoot with the finest.

Great idea, the lever actions need some attention too! I like the idea of a Tactical oriented lever gun, and love throwing rocks (45-70)!

This idea may be better received if you could "tacticalize" a lever gun. Paint it in "tactical" colors, etc. Some of the BLR's are pretty accurate! Don't forget adding, lights, lasers, backup sights, flash hider, and a tactical can opener!

Don't forget stippling! Gotta stipple! That loop would make a good recipient of your texturing attention.

Seems to detract from the ultimate aim of the board. However, I come here for marksmanship and reloading info, not to learn how to trash the finish of my firearms with krylon or to check out nude pics of supposed girlfriends. I own, shoot, and enjoy lever guns and think they are superior to AR pattern rifles for 99.9% of roles an ordinary person will fill; but like my earlier examples, there are plenty of other boards to check out for that info. No skin off my back either way.

I would like to know more about lever guns and how to customize them and enhance their accuracy...Go for it !
People on this board are a a source of an amazing fund of knowledge

I vote yes. I have an old 336 35rem I am looking at dura coating, installing synthetic stock, and putting on some ghost ring sights and maybe a scout scope once funding becomes available. I started a thread in sidearms for it a while ago.

Ryan

Another vote for yes! I bought a 336 marlin and I was hooked. Now I have a 39a, the 336, a model 94, and of course a Henry

I would cast a vote of "YES" for the idea.

While I do realize that there are forums dedicated to the topic, I tend to prefer "one stop shopping" for all of my firearms needs. I would rather be a part of a few communities and get to know the same people, rather than being a member to a dozen communities. To me, the more boards I join, it is harder it is to keep up on new posts and sift through all of the mall ninjas.

Sarcasm font on---> There's already 53 forums so what's one more, right? <--- Ok, I'm done...

I don't think it would get much activity to warrant its own forum, but I'm not a mod or admin, just a member here. I'd say no and I love the old lever guns...

There's been a few threads on them before, tied in with the shotgun or bolt action forums (hunting too), and while they're fairly rare, they get a fair bit of activity when they do pop up. Just because there isn't a dedicated forum doesn't mean you can't post up on them.

Mossberg has in fact created a grotesque abomination of a "tactical" lever gun, complete with birdcage flash suppressor.

464_inset.jpg

That was kind of my idea as well. While I do occasionally check out some other boards, Sniper's Hide is my favorite "home turf". Also, with the wealth of knowledge here, I tought it would be the best place to get feedback and shared knowledge.
I would cast a vote of "YES" for the idea.

While I do realize that there are forums dedicated to the topic, I tend to prefer "one stop shopping" for all of my firearms needs. I would rather be a part of a few communities and get to know the same people, rather than being a member to a dozen communities. To me, the more boards I join, it is harder it is to keep up on new posts and sift through all of the mall ninjas.

+1 from me too, I like lever guns, just always seem to sell them except my kids Henry 22

I guess what really attracts me to them is the iron sights. All my bolt guns and semi's are wearing some sort of optic so my levers keep me on the iron skill.

I think it would be nice. I've seen a few tactical lever guns, some really nice, some not so much. I think it'd be need to see what could be done with or is already done but no one shared it with the marlin 308 and 338 express.

As most on here I love shooting LR and precision bolt guns, however I've always had a hard on for old levers(specifically big bores
). I have a 94 in 44 mag and a beautiful old savage 22 high power.

So, seems like a few fans of this idea. Can a mod chime in, or maybe even the supreme CIC LL?

So here it is. While I know this site is really dedicated to precision shooting, I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in a "lever gun" section. While I know lever guns are not necessarily the most accurate guns out there, I sure love shooting mine.

I'd like to see this happen. Maybe someone here could help me find one as well.

I have a few as well. One 39a and two 94's(one long octogon barrel and one carbine) irons on the 94's love them all. If Ohio would just allow pistol caliber rifles i would be on the hunt for one in 357. I would love a section for levers could give me some ideas. I am trad with the levers though so there would be no krylon for me. But I dont spray any of my other guns either.

I've always wanted a Marlin 336 in .30-30 but never took the plunge. Had a Rossi 92 16" in .44 Mag for a short time before I traded it in for something else. Didn't really like the Rossi that much. Seems like lever actions are really popular in PA and the east coast in general since shooting distances are kept pretty short.