• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Leverevolution powder for 6.5 Grendel ?

Drifter™

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2009
North Carolina
While waiting on components for a 6.5 G build, I was wondering if anyone has tried Hodgdon's Leverevolution powder.

Research suggests that common ball powders for this cartridge include BL-C(2), AA2520, and W-748. Referencing Hodgdon's burn rate chart, Leverevolution (also a ball powder) seems right in line:

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Leverevolution powder is claimed to produce over 100 fps more than other powders in limited applications:

http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

Thus, I'm wondering if the 6.5 G could be a fitting application.

Looking at load data for other cartridges, it appears that Leverevolution gets its velocity increase by using heavier powder charges without increasing pressure beyond safe limits. Is there room in the case for heavier charges of ball powder to fit, where as the Leverevolution might work? (Mainly talking 123gr bullets.)

Obviously, I haven't loaded for this cartridge yet, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Leverevolution powder for 6.5 Grendel ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While waiting on components for a 6.5 G build, I was wondering if anyone has tried Hodgdon's Leverevolution powder.

Research suggests that common ball powders for this cartridge include BL-C(2), AA2520, and W-748. Referencing Hodgdon's burn rate chart, Leverevolution (also a ball powder) seems right in line:

Leverevolution powder is claimed to produce over 100 fps more than other powders in limited applications:

Looking at load data for other cartridges, it appears that Leverevolution gets its velocity increase by using heavier powder charges without increasing pressure beyond safe limits. Is there room in the case for heavier charges of ball powder to fit, where as the Leverevolution might work? (Mainly talking 123gr bullets.)

Obviously, I haven't loaded for this cartridge yet, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks </div></div>

How much more powder are we talking about? 30.7 grains of A 2520 (max load) doesn't quite get to the shoulder. I wouldn't really want to put any more volume than that as it's already a borderline compressed load with the long 123 scenar bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While waiting on components for a 6.5 G build, I was wondering if anyone has tried Hodgdon's Leverevolution powder.

Thanks </div></div>

How much more powder are we talking about? 30.7 grains of A 2520 (max load) doesn't quite get to the shoulder. I wouldn't really want to put any more volume than that as it's already a borderline compressed load with the long 123 scenar bullets. </div></div>

Going off memory of published data, charge of Leverevolution is usually ~10%+ more, which would mean a potential of 3+ grains more in 6.5 G loads.

If the case is already full with 123gr bullets, perhaps it might have more potential with lighter bullets...

honestly i would buy a pound and see where it ends up. it should work but you also have to have temp sensitivity and accuracy.

I just read an article on Leverevolution and superperformance powders. Hogdon strongly urges to not experiment with calibers that have not been tested. Basically if the data is not listed don't try it. For what its worth.

I seen some load data on the 6.5 grendel forum with guys using 30.0gr - 31.5gr. of LeveRevolution powder with 123gr. Hornady A-MAX and Barnes TTSX bullets.

The post said they were getting around 2600fps or a little over with the 31.5gr. load. I do not know what length barrel they were using.

Im sure you could squeeze 32.0gr of it in a 6.5 Grendel case if you wanted to (with a drop tube).

Im going to test this out myself with my Grendel with the 123gr. A-MAX bullet. Im going to start at 28.5gr and work up to 32.0gr.

I heard the groups were tight too when the powder was tested on the forums post.

2600fps is faster than most if not all the 120gr. Alexander Arms factory ammo.
This is need for testing!

USE DATA AT OWN RISK!! BE SAFE!!

anyone else got LVR results?

Over on the Grendel forum a lot of people are saying that LVR yields similar results to CFE223. Some say that CFE223 is LVR with a special coating. Both LVR and CFE223 give the best velocities using 123g bullets in the Grendel. Accuracy seems very good also.

Over on the Grendel forum a lot of people are saying that LVR yields similar results to CFE223. Some say that CFE223 is LVR with a special coating. Both LVR and CFE223 give the best velocities using 123g bullets in the Grendel. Accuracy seems very good also.

I haven't used LVR, but I do use CFE223 and it's awesome. I've seen multiple reports at the horde(65grendel forum) that's it's identical to LVR.

You can pick up a 6.5 Grendel reloading handbook at the following link.
Store AR15 build

I believe it has LVR loads in it. I'll have to look when I get home.

PM LRRPF52, he's one of the authors and will be able to tell you.

LVR and CFE are not identical, but their performance seems to be. There is a distinctly different odor between the two powders.

They produce high velocities in the G, but are somewhat temp sensitive in my experience.