• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up lexington, kentucky?

Re: lexington, kentucky?

i met two shooters at BlueGrass Sportsmans league today shooting GAP rifles.

i can't remember names, but we need to shoot together again!

I'm in Lexington as well. I shoot over at BGSL. Rifle range goes to 300 yards.

If there's anyone else who goes out there, drop me a note.

wow hopefully the new site will actually notify me of replies. i forgot about this thread again.

I shoot at BGSL on the occasion, still look at shooting longer range than 300 though..

New to the Lexington area. Looking for an outdoor range. Doesn’t have to be long, but ideally at least 200. Thanks

wow hopefully the new site will actually notify me of replies. i forgot about this thread again.

I shoot at BGSL on the occasion, still look at shooting longer range than 300 though..

Ashland has a monthly PRS practice and competitions frequently out to 1200 I believe. Their is also Rock Castle in Park City.

Thanks you. This isn’t far at all.

You do have to be a member to go there. I'm from the Lexington area myself and am a member. Just be aware you cannot just show up. It is a private range. Everyone is friendly, they have two different rifle ranges, the general rang, where most go and it is out to 100, and the rifle range which is the 300 yard range.

You will have to qual to get on the rifle range with an easy test and accuracy test, basically be able to hit a 6 inch target 5 times with your rifle @ 100. You will need to work with the range officers to qual but they are usually available to help you with qual.

Just wanted you to be prepared and not expect you can just show up and start shooting. If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM.

Reactions: Jsmith410
You do have to be a member to go there. I'm from the Lexington area myself and am a member. Just be aware you cannot just show up. It is a private range. Everyone is friendly, they have two different rifle ranges, the general rang, where most go and it is out to 100, and the rifle range which is the 300 yard range.

You will have to qual to get on the rifle range with an easy test and accuracy test, basically be able to hit a 6 inch target 5 times with your rifle @ 100. You will need to work with the range officers to qual but they are usually available to help you with qual.

Just wanted you to be prepared and not expect you can just show up and start shooting. If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM.
Thank you. I plan on calling and getting some additional info. I like that there is a place I can work my retriever as well. I’m not use to city living so I’ve been looking for something like this.

Re: Lexington Kentucky
Lived in Lexington as a kid, Ashland Ky now, grad of EKU. I shoot at Northeastern Kentucky Fish and Game club. Ranges 100 to 685. First and 3rd Saturday each month.

Re: Lexington Kentucky
Lived in Lexington as a kid, Ashland Ky now, grad of EKU. I shoot at Northeastern Kentucky Fish and Game club. Ranges 100 to 685. First and 3rd Saturday each month.
I’ll have to check it out. Thanks

I’m in Lexington and a BGSL member. I’m looking for some where to shoot past 300 yards that’s hopefully closer than Rockcastle (shooting center, not county)

I’m in Lexington and a BGSL member. I’m looking for some where to shoot past 300 yards that’s hopefully closer than Rockcastle (shooting center, not county)
I’m trying to find a lease. If I find something I’ll let you know.

Where is the match at? I heard about this range in Hazard but could not find anything online about it.
There are directions on The Deplorables Riflemans club FB page. I would post them but it’s pretty elaborate.

Any good spots to shoot at close to Louisville? I'd like to shoot farther than what Knob Creek has to offer.

Rockcastle is close to Louisville. You have to be a member to shoot the long range but it’s supposed to be nice. I haven’t made it out there yet. Its 2 hrs for me.

How about that! It's 78 miles from me. I always thought it was hours away. Good to know. Thanks!

Hey guys, Im in the Danville area for the time being. Ill be permanent in the Louisville area before long. Fairly new into LR stuff, but I have made it to Rockcastle just the other weekend. I shot Red Barn and loved it. Would love to meet some of you down there and shoot one afternoon. Im strongly considering a membership to access the farther range. As far as closer ranges to Louisville, good luck getting past 300 yards.

I’m in NKY. I’ve been down to Hazard a couple times this year. They have steel out to 1500. It’s a scenic haul for me and good shooting and company.

I would also be interested in a Ky LR meetup. I haven’t shot at rock castle but would like to some time.

Reactions: BigRed308
I would also like to get together. I’ve been shooting a long time but just getting into long range and could definitely benefit from watching guys who know what they’re doing. I’m in Lexington.

I would also like to get together. I’ve been shooting a long time but just getting into long range and could definitely benefit from watching guys who know what they’re doing. I’m in Lexington.

That leaves me out. I’ve been hacking away for 20yrs with precision rifles and I’m still not quite sure what I’m doing :eek:

Im a new LR shooter but Ive been in shooting sports for a while. Id love to get with some more experienced shooters. Lets make this happen!

Fairly new into LR stuff, but I have made it to Rockcastle just the other weekend. I shot Red Barn and loved it.

Cool! I'm thinking about driving down to Rockcastle sometime and shooting at the Red Bard. Since it's 750 yards, do you walk to your target, or can you drive your truck out there? Thinking about bringing my dad with me since he's wanted to shoot at longer distances, but concerned about him walking that far.

They have steel set up at various ranges. The bench to the far right has the ranges written out. The 400 yard target is gone. Otherwise, they don’t want you walking down range at all. The parking area is maybe 15-20 yards from the shooting spots so he wouldn’t ave to walk far.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like there is no need to bring targets, so that's good. I'm used to Knob Creek and walking your own target down range...

Are hits on steel plates audible at 750? I'd be shooting a 308. Farthest I have shot is 330 yards, didn't have any trouble hearing the plates at that distance.

Yes Sir. Like you I had very little distance under my belt before going to a Rockcastle. I was able to visually and audibly confirm hits all the way out to 750. I was shooting a 308 as well, so there should be no worries. Don’t bring any targets, you’ll be wasting the effort to be honest. I’m jealous you’ll be getting out there. I really enjoyed it and hope to be back soon. Possibly even a member of the thunder valley range

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
Awesome! Thanks!

What rifle were you shooting? I'll be shooting a Remington 700 with the factory 26" 12 twist barrel, with a McMillan HTG stock, Jewell HVR trigger, Harris Bipod, and SWFA 5-20x scope. I have been shooting FGMM 168 hpbt ammo, but need to try some 175s.

Reactions: craigbruenderman
can someone tell me if rockcastle shooting center is still open for members to shoot? i had read somewhere they are no longer letting people shoot there but i can NOT find the thread about it. hopefully i dreamnt it

I shot there last fall as a non member. Heard some things changed-nothing like that though. Hope I’m wrong.

Rockcastle is done. Hotel is under new ownership and the rest of the shooting area properties were sold. Initially there was a chance of some shooting continu but last I heard that is no longer the case.

That sucks! Outside of KCR, I'm not sure of any other public ranges around that go past 100 yards.

If Ashland isn't too far, 1st Saturday each month is open range practice on steel targets out to 717 yds. 3rd Saturday is compition match (several of which are PRS ). Facebook page is Northeastern Kentucky Fish and game PRS division

This thread is a throwback. Last time I posted, I was a sophomore in college. Lot's happened since then.

Don't have a lot to add but it was nice to see some old names I haven't heard in a while.