• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lifestyle for precision shooting?

Sirshredalot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2019
hello.

Whilst trying to improve my skills, ive developed some questions.

Im come to the conclusion that im not steady, on the contrary, quite twitchy.
I can usually hear and see my hearbeat when shooting....often forgetting to breath or forcing my breath control.

Heart rate and breathing are a big struggle for me.

Do yuu guys drink coffee/caffeine before(24hrs) shooting? Nicotine? Alcohol?

Have you modified your lifestyle(diet and exercise) to help your shooting?
If so, than how?

Please and thank you
Shred

Think Frank mentioned at some point that if you drink coffee or smoke cigarettes regularly, don’t omit those when you go shooting. Not having your regular caffeine or nicotine fix will give you the shakes the same as someone who doesn’t normally take those substances and then does so before shooting.

That said, when I was shooting in so fl, there was a cuban restaurant 5 minutes from my shooting range and I used to drink a few cups of cuban coffee before I would head out to the range. That stuff made me shake like a leaf no matter what. So I stopped doing that before going to the range.

What has helped me, based on my personal observation, is that getting to the firing line and hearing all the reports going off would get my andrenaline going. Spending 10-20 minutes on the firing line before I even started dry-firing gave me enough time to settle back down and let the andrenaline subside. Relaxation is key, you can’t do anthing smoothly when you are amped up.

Reactions: kRcu
That said, when I was shooting in so fl, there was a cuban restaurant 5 minutes from my shooting range and I used to drink a few cups of cuban coffee before I would head out to the range.
:oops:

Amigo, un pocillo es solamente lo que necesitas!

Reactions: lash
hello.

I can usually hear and see my hearbeat when shooting....often forgetting to breath or forcing my breath control.

If so, than how?

Please and thank you
Shred

You might want to invest some of your time into aerobic conditioning. It will pay off in more ways than you think.

Are you physically fit? Getting stronger will help you in all aspects of life, shooting included.

Sage advice would have helped about 20 years ago, I have two espresso machines now and keep a cafetera in my backcountry pack.
I feel you brother. Growing up in PR and then spending 10 years in the Navy made me a caffeine addict.

Are you physically fit? Getting stronger will help you in all aspects of life, shooting included.
Im carrying an extra 10lbs more than i should, and stopped running in college.
32in waist.
Blood pressure is in check and work a blue collar job.
Im not super fit, but better off than half the country.

Im carrying an extra 10lbs more than i should, and stopped running in college.
32in waist.
Blood pressure is in check and work a blue collar job.
Im not super fit, but better off than half the country.

Good deal, and I agree about most of America. Try adding a bit of strength training in if you can and you may be surprised how much it helps. A few basic compound lifts 2-3x a week is all you need to see a difference.

hello.

If so, than how?

Please and thank you
Shred
shoot like you live......if you drink a coffee and have a smoke every morning.....do the same thing when you go shooting.

omitting items from your daily routine will screw you over more than a bit of nicotine or coffee.

now that being said....the healthier you are....the better you are going to shoot......so yes, you should over time try to reduce caffeine intake and reduce the amount you smoke.

cardio and core strength training are also a great benefit.

that being said, you dont need to be an olympian to shoot rifle.....hell, go to any benchrest, smallbore, or high power match......and its usually the fat old guys mopping up.

no need to make any drastic changes......try to eat a bit healthier......incorporate a bit more cardio into your routine......but most of all practice......actual trigger time is the only thing that is actually going to make you a better shooter.

I drink coffee and smoke a cigar during my sessions. Also drink water. Just what I do. I enjoy coffee, a cigar and a few hours of shooting.

I think you need to be physically fit. I am 59. Lord knows I drink to excess and love good food. I live life to its logical end. But...I ride a bike 60-80 miles a week and lift weights twice a week. I do my mileage in 3 rides and ride hard. I walk on days I am not riding. If it rains or I need a shorter workout, I have a Peloton bike that I love to use.

I find that if you are active, it makes a difference. Not just for the reasons you say. Everyone focuses on heartbeat and ease of breathing. Don't get me wrong. They are very important. However as an older person, the benefit of hard exercise is flexibility. I can lay in a prone position for longer than a lot of younger guys. I am more comfortable and, therefore, shoot better and more consistently.

The flexibility aspect is huge

I know that when I quit smoking I would get frustrated with everything a lot more easily at first. Doing fast pistol drills and a couple shots don't go where I want them to and immediately I start getting all wound up. Same with a feeling of general anxiety behind the rifle, with constant worries about if I'm going to screw up something.

For at least 3 months I had to consciously make an effort to take slow deep breaths and calm myself down whenever I was at a range, because otherwise the frustration would rear its head at the slightest chance and just start throwing me off my game.

Once I started forcing myself to get back in shape, a lot of the twitchiness seemed to go away with the constant frustration too. It's been almost a year now and while I'm not hiting the range as often as I was before the 2020 meltdown, when I do get out there I feel like everything just seems easier than it has in years.

I drink coffee and smoke a cigar during my sessions. Also drink water. Just what I do. I enjoy coffee, a cigar and a few hours of shooting.

I think you need to be physically fit. I am 59. Lord knows I drink to excess and love good food. I live life to its logical end. But...I ride a bike 60-80 miles a week and lift weights twice a week. I do my mileage in 3 rides and ride hard. I walk on days I am not riding. If it rains or I need a shorter workout, I have a Peloton bike that I love to use.

I find that if you are active, it makes a difference. Not just for the reasons you say. Everyone focuses on heartbeat and ease of breathing. Don't get me wrong. They are very important. However as an older person, the benefit of hard exercise is flexibility. I can lay in a prone position for longer than a lot of younger guys. I am more comfortable and, therefore, shoot better and more consistently.

The flexibility aspect is huge

Yep

I've surprised guys 20 yrs my junior in USPSA matches........

Reactions: Nik H
I don’t ever see a heartbeat. I drink coffee regularly, and get a headache if I don’t, but my hands never shake. I do control my breathing when I shoot on the half exhale. I think you’re overthinking it and giving yourself anxiety. Relaxing is VERY important.

Reactions: lash
Making sure my rifle was adjusted to me helped. Making sure I'm not straining my head or neck while having perfect view in the scope. Getting the buttstock into my collar bone. I set up some props in the back yard spent a half a day adjusting and experimenting with different adjustments.

Reactions: 308pirate
How many times are you fapping before a match? Omitting this, or overdoing it can affect accuracy.
daffy_fapping.gif

I don’t ever see a heartbeat. I drink coffee regularly, and get a headache if I don’t, but my hands never shake. I do control my breathing when I shoot on the half exhale. I think you’re overthinking it and giving yourself anxiety. Relaxing is VERY important.
This sounds like somthing i would do.

Seeing your heartbeat is an issue with rifle setup or how you’re holding the rifle and other such things.

Unless you just finished something that has your heart rate up very high.

Seeing your heartbeat is an issue with rifle setup or how you’re holding the rifle and other such things.

Unless you just finished something that has your heart rate up very high.
How so? Asking honestly.
Ive recently changed my mount and rail to raise the scope.
Improper stock fit?

Please and thank you
Shred

When I first started competitively shooting I would cut caffeine for a week at a time. Found a worse change during that week. If you drink coffee, keep drinking coffee; if you smoke, keep smoking. Those are things your body is used to functioning with. My performance has dropped more from not running and putting on a few pounds than it did with coffee, alcohol, or smoking. Btw, I quit smoking about the time I started taking shooting more serious, it was $60 a month more for ammo.

I'm still more or less a noob here, so take my comment with a grain of salt - I generally observe a heart beat when supporting the rear of my rifle with my hand or something. If you have a rear bag, it absorbs a lot of that movement for you.

Also, maybe take a look at mindfulness training and diaphragmatic breathing. When you inhale, your heartbeat rises. When you do a long diaphragmatic exhale, your heartbeat decreases, and you'll find you settle more on your skeleton frame anyway, so your natural point of aim will be easier to observe.

How many times are you fapping before a match? Omitting this, or overdoing it can affect accuracy.

If I remember, in the book “The Man With The Golden Gun”, Francisco Scaramanga always had sex before a kill. It made his eye and aim sharper. Or so Ian Flemming wrote anyway.

Just sayin’...

I consume caffeine and nicotine before, during, and after. Constant supply. Usually in a fasted state (arbitrary). I feel all activities benefit from average to above average fitness.

I typically am just shooting by myself under no time constraint. I’ll just sit behind the gun for a few minutes and focus on those fundamentals, shoot, and repeat. Can even practice at home really.