• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light Primer Stike on Rem 700 5R - Cold temp

RedRaider271

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
DFW Texas
I am sure this topic is covered but wanted some advice on what to look for. Went to the range today to sight my rifle in with a new scope. It was about 28-30 degrees today, shooting relatively new Remington Milspec 5R. I am shooting Black Hills 175 gr BTHP.

I shot 170 round of black hills through this gun in a class last year, no malfunctions, Feb chilly weather in Northern Arkansas/Oklahoma. I have since shot about 20 rounds this last summer. I have had no primer issues to date. My gun stays in the safe in my garage, was in the truck for a while this morning then to the range. I got two rounds off then every round was light primer strike. I switched to a box of Rem core lokt.... got about 10 rounds off no problem then 2 light primer strikes. My buddy ran my ammo through his gun no problem. Changed to different box of Black hills...got about 2 rounds off, then more light primer strikes. I am lost on what to think, I read online about weather affecting bolt, but I have shot remington rifles as long as I have been alive that sat in the truck overnight in 17 degree weather, then to a deer stand and shot deer.... So I am at a loss, the only thing I can figure would be the spring or grease since its inconsistent.

Could this be a bad firing pin spring issue?
Cold weather making factory grease in bolt thick and gummy?
Headspacing? I wouldn't think so with amount of rounds ran already no problem
Bad firing pin?

I appreciate any advice or experience on what to do next....

Did you measure the protrusion? It is easy to do with calipers. See if you are around 40 to 50 thousands or below that.
If you don't have the right protrusion (shallower) take down the whole assembly and clean everything and look for any machine marks or burrs.
might want to run them on emery cloth very lightly. Also can run a bit with your fingers to make no obstructions or burrs are there.
Even a tiny loose burr can make a difference. Not that usual for it happens.
Don't use any grease. Some minute drop of dry lube or even some liquid wax well cleaned will prevent anything from sticking even at 50 below.
I have used the 700 at 50F w/o any issues other than almost frozen fingers.

Last edited:
If you have never pulled the bolt down and cleaned it then that is most likely the problem. Pull it down, degrease it, dry it, lightly put some high quality lube on it that won't be impacted by cold temps and you will be good to go.

I will try taking it down and cleaning it, I have just never had this happen and didnt know what all would cause it.... hopefully that is all I need to do, I was praying it was nothing major wrong or something broken. Can you take the bolt down without a special tool? I have seen it done with the tool, but I have never actually done it.

If you have never pulled the bolt down and cleaned it then that is most likely the problem. Pull it down, degrease it, dry it, lightly put some high quality lube on it that won't be impacted by cold temps and you will be good to go.

+1

I had a similar problem. My issue was the firing pin spring. I bought a wolf to replace the OEM. It is rare that the springs wear out, but it does happen.