• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light Projectile Load for 6 ARC...

SMTGWKD

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Looking to possibly load for varmints with a 58, 65, or 75 grain ELD M. Which would you choose given my barrel and current powder stash:

18" CF Proof 1:7.5 twist

58 VMax - I have no powders referenced in the Hornady load data
65 VMax- I have one powder in the Hornady load data (xbr 8208)
75 VMax - I have 3 powders in the Hornady load data (xbr 8208, CFE223, Leverevolution)

I also have a bunch of Varget, though it is not listed until heavier weight projectiles.

Attachments

• 1645167491346.gif
    1645167491346.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 107
Last edited:
The three bullet weights you've listed aren't ELDMs.

Those are V-Max.

Since you can't find load data, I'd go to the 6-PPC data and start there.
Same case, different shoulder location and a few other minor differences.
Otherwise, it's nearly the same.

Whoops - corrected above to VMax.

Do you feel those powders I have on hand are good for the 58/65 class to achieve great velocities then? Specifically, Varget/cfe223/Lever/xbr8208?

I'll check out 6 PPC load data to cross reference for a starting point.

Also - looking at Nosler, and other PPC load data, it is nearly identical powders to those reference in the Hornady data for the ARC (not surprising, I guess).

I guess I'll begin with 65 grain VMax and xbr8208.

Again, looking to use powder I have on hand.

...FWIW, I tested the Nosler 70gn FB Varmageddon's w/8208XBR & CCI 400's. 30.0gns yielded 3067 FPS. No pressure signs.
Cartridge details : Starline 6.5G converted, annealed. CBTO 1.6415" , COAL 2.1215"
Barrel details : Ballistic Advantage 18" w/RLGS, 1/7 twist
Environment Conditions : 85F, 80% humidity, 600 FT Altitude

YMMV due barrel/build differences, work your way up slowly. These were rounds used to test for pressure, not accuracy, but easily a MOA load.

BTW, the Hodgdon online site lists quite a few bullet weights & powders you can reference: https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54

Last edited:
Also, when looking at ARC data, remember that there are two load levels. AR tops out (IIRC) at 55ksi and bolt gun is 62 or 65ksi.

Leverevolution works well in the ARC with >100gr projectiles.

I just looked at the data on the Hodgden site for 58gr and 70gr projectiles.
It appears you run out of case capacity before hitting max pressure.

You might be able to best their data using a long drop tube to allow the powder to settle into the case.

I shoot a lot of light weight bullets in my slow twist 6-BRs.
With 65-68gr flat based bullets, I can easily hit 3550 in a 22" barrel.

However, I usually run them in the mid 3400 range.

58gr V-Max I run over 3700. The Lapua cases have been fired 27 times so far...

Thanks again - that Hodgden site was gold. Going to try xbr 8208 up to about 31.0 grains with the 58 VMax to see if the 7.5 twist will do alright. Looks like others have tried with decent success and velocity using that combo.

Also - very aware of the load data differences for bolt vs gas. One of the reasons I was so intrigued by the ARC is the ability to squeeze more out of a bolt rifle.

...I found LEVER to be "dirty", more so than any other powder I've used in the past. I load primarily for gassers and have used primarily ball powders over the decades, mostly W748 and BLC(2), the 'recent' exception being AR-Comp which I also really like. I live in a local that literally has constant temperatures year round, basically only 3 seasons....hot, hot & rainy and typhoon, LOL. Temperature sensitive powder's are not a factor for me.

You'll be fine with the fast twist and light bullets.
I've shot a bunch of the 58 and 65 Z-Max out of my 8tw Criterion at the 800 yard 4" and 10" plates.

On a fairly calm day it's very repeatable.
Medium winds are killer on them and the plates barely move vs the 105 class bullets.
Keep that in mind with the longer shots.
Up close the light bullets kick ass for varmint air time.

Lastly, the 87gr might be the perfect compromise.

Also, when looking at ARC data, remember that there are two load levels. AR tops out (IIRC) at 55ksi and bolt gun is 62 or 65ksi.

Leverevolution works well in the ARC with >100gr projectiles.

I just looked at the data on the Hodgden site for 58gr and 70gr projectiles.
It appears you run out of case capacity before hitting max pressure.

You might be able to best their data using a long drop tube to allow the powder to settle into the case.

I shoot a lot of light weight bullets in my slow twist 6-BRs.
With 65-68gr flat based bullets, I can easily hit 3550 in a 22" barrel.

However, I usually run them in the mid 3400 range.

58gr V-Max I run over 3700. The Lapua cases have been fired 27 times so far...
Holy crapola! 27 firings? Love it!

Here's my maiden voyage - shot in round robin style one shot at each target from the magazine TL, TR, M, LL, LR, three times. What would you run with? SDs aren't great, but this would be a 0-400 yard load for varmints. Temperature was 24 degrees.

6 ARC 58 xbr8208.jpg

6 ARC.jpg

Here's my maiden voyage - shot in round robin style one shot at each target from the magazine TL, TR, M, LL, LR, three times. What would you run with? SDs aren't great, but this would be a 0-400 yard load for varmints. Temperature was 24 degrees.
....FWIW, I'd go with the 30.4 with it being the "middle" between the 30.1 & 30.7 which are the next best groups. Granted the 30.1 may appear to be large, but that high right hit could be shooter error. The 30.7 is beginning to open up, but still pretty tight. By loading at 30.4, you have +/- .3gns margin for powder drop variation (assuming you aren't meticulously trickling each charge). Seating depth testing may not be worth the effort & components if these are intended for varmints, but your call on that.

View attachment 7815752
View attachment 7815753
I think I'd keep pushing it. If there wasn't pressure signs. Seems slow for 58gr. Curious what you ended up doing