• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light recoil but with stopping power for whitetail

bondoscustomz1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Mid-Alabama
My wife wants to go hunting next season and I need to find a bolt rifle. It needs to be a rifle that will knock down a Alabama whitetail but not knock down my wife. Any suggestions??????? Thanks Tommy

Re: Light recoil but with stopping power for whitetail

A .243 winchester in a suitable rifle for your wife will
be effective, flat shooting and have light recoil.

.243,7mm-08,.260rem,.25-06

243 Winchester has enough power, and ammo is easy to find for it if you don't reload.

+1 on the .243

My friends girlfriend shot my Savage model 110 standing at 100 yards and had no issues. She is 5'3" and about 110 pounds. She was able to hit a 6" bulls eye 4 out of 5 times. Also Hornday makes those new high velocity rounds that have no more recoil then standard round. Several other brands make a low-recoil round that should work great.

If you handload you have enough time to work up an accurate load thats a little lighter on the power side if you can't find something factory loaded. I have shot whitetail in NC and TX all using 100gr factory ammo with no issues.

260 in a model 7 from Remington.

The .243 is a good all-around option that will do the job nicely. Should be able to pick up a nice Remington or Savage bolt gun that won't break the bank and won't do any breaking on your wife's shoulder either.

The other option to consider...if she's a good shot and you can assure decent shot placement...is .223. I have killed plenty of WV Whitetail with a .223 with 1-shot, ethical kills (make sure it meets the min. caliber requirements in AL unless you are hunting on private prop/exempt land).

.30-'06 or .308 with Remington 125gr Managed Recoil Core-Lokts. There's no need for another firearm and/or chambering, just choose the appropriate load. Half the recoil of standard Core-Lokt loads, but with a very similar trajectory out to several hundred yards, and with far better terminal effects than downloaded handloads. Click on "Managed Recoil", then Click the tab for "Specifications". I use it and my family's smaller members prefer it. The performance is very similar to a .30-30.

.243 Winchester, 105 AMAX, Savage Stevens. It's what my 10 yr old son shoots.

My buddies wife and daughter both use a 44 magnum lever action marlin. Not a bolt gun, but a fairly cheap alternative.

If your going to reload....stay away from the Model 7........it has given me nothing but headaches in the 260. I am not even shooting the high BC bullets. Just not enough room in the box mag.

If your going to reload....stay away from the Model 7........it has given me nothing but headaches in the 260. I am not even shooting the high BC bullets. Just not enough room in the box mag.

I will have to agree with most of the other members here. The 243 is hard to beat. I use to know a old vietnam vet who retired as a ranch hand on a large Texas ranch. He swore by the 243 and I saw him cleanly harvest coyotes, whitetail deer, hogs, racoons, Sitka deer, Axis deer, and even an elk with his go to 243. I believe it to be a great all around rifle for small to medium size game, and with the right bullet and a well placed shot, it will cleanly harvest most any North American game. Not to mention the 243 does pretty well at long range tactical matches as well. Damn, I think I need to order me a 243!

Gotta love cartridge questions. The statement about a managed recoil 308 or 3006 makes perfect sense...if you don't WANT to get another rifle, which I assume you DO. LOL

.243 is a great cartridge, as others mentioned. However, if buying factory ammo isn't that important to you, the 6mm Remington is by all rights a better cartridge than .243. Remington really dropped the ball with it when it first came out as the .244 Remington - twist rate was wrong, and the .243 (direct competitor) performed better with real bullets. Then Remington turned up the twist rate, and reintroduced the .244 as the 6mm. The battle was already lost against Winchester, but it is everything the .243 is, and more....except its much easier to buy factory ammo today for the .243.

Good luck.

.243, 30-30, 7mm-08, are all easy recoilers and more than adequate for even big whitetails.

Thanks for the input fella's. I asked that question first to see responses before I mentioned that I have a friend offering two rifles. The first is a Weatherby Vanguard in 308 and a Howa 243. I have some managed recoil for the 30.06 and I bought her a Win 70 but after shooting it with 150 gr non managed recoil rounds, she won't try it again. So off to a lighter recoil promise. Thanks for the input. Tommy

.308 or .30-06 (for the .30-06 you can purchase low-recoil rounds that are about the same as a .308 but kick like a .243 or so.

The Weatherby Vanguard 308 is in "as new" never fired condition with a Pentax 3x10x40(maybe) mil-dot scope. He wants $350.00 for it. I was leaning that direction but wasn't sure as I have never had or shot a Vanguard. Is this a good price for the Vanguard? He hasn't priced the 243 yet. Also I have plenty of 308 ammo. Do they offer a managed recoil ammo for the 308? Thanks again. Tommy

A good friend of mine and his family live near Camden, AL. They all use the .243, and they swear by the 60 grain HP. They have killed several thousands (on several thousand acres of family land) of deer over the years with that load and they claim no failures.

Thank's Greg Langelius for the link to Remington's managed recoil ammo. That is very helpful as now I know that they do make 308 Managed Recoil ammo. Looks like I may be buying the Weatherby Vanguard if it is a good price. Thanks Tommy

Another +1 for .243.

Lots of ammo and

practice practice practice

There are so many options. The 243 is a good one. My cousin shoot a 6mm 284. It has a break so it is a total pussy cat.

my favorite whitetail rifle (less than 450 yards) is my ar-15. just have to be willing to track 'em a bit, but ive never had to track one over 75 yards, shooting hornady v-max.

In Washington State we can hunt Deer, Elk, Bear with a 9mm handgun with 4"+ barrel (but not a .223)

The Ruger 44 Carbine is a winner!

Bolt in 300 AAC Blackout

6.5x47

All fun to shoot, hardly any recoil, and can all get the job done. The first two are good to about 300 yards, the last for much, much farther.

22-250. have killed many deer with them.

243 or 257Bob. 243 if you want easy to find ammo and good shooter. 257Bob if you want to throw a little old school cool into it. Both are great!

243...i shoot a 243 and theres almost zero recoil..granted its a 15lb match gun with a brake

A 243 with an 8 twist to shoot 105's. Easy to shoot accurately, it's pretty much all I use now. Plenty of good ammo out there and my 12 year old has no problem with the recoil.

put a muzzle break on whatever gun you get. it will severely kill the recoil of the rifle, and since it is just a hunting gun the extra noise shouldnt be a concern.

.30-30 it's been good enough for deer for over a century.

.243 is what my girl uses also , no problems with recoil

My savage weather warrior .270 shooting 130 noslers knocks em dead everytime. You also need to check your local hunting laws, here in virginia .243 is the smallest caliber you can hunt deer with.

6.5x47 or 260. Both are effective and have mild recoil. My wife loved her 260.

243 is good but I like a bit more lead flung at a deer. Just personal preference.

One question, has your wife shot any high power rifles to draw a recoil tolerance line?

I have to put in another vote for .243

I love mine.

+1 on the 30-30....especially if you reload, nothing like a lightly loaded 125 gr hollowpoint for a new or recoil sensitive person.

I can't believe noone has mentioned the .270 Win yet. A classic deer round with low recoil.

.243 or 25-06 and by some federal ammo with barnes bullets. There ain't a deer in Alberta Cannada that can run too far from a well placed shot from either of those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: countryboy300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe noone has mentioned the .270 Win yet. A classic deer round with low recoil.</div></div>

Btillr did, in his Savage Weather Warrior.

Personally, I've come to discover that I really like the .270 for myself. {I happen to have picked up a really straight shooting Win 70 (post-'64) in that caliber} I'll say though, that I wouldn't put a first time hunter or someone who isn't real good at handling recoil, behind one. Same bullet weights on the lower end. Same charge and smaller diameter bullets equals more recoil on average than a 30-06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Btillr did, in his Savage Weather Warrior.

Personally, I've come to discover that I really like the .270 for myself. {I happen to have picked up a really straight shooting Win 70 (post-'64) in that caliber} I'll say though, that I wouldn't put a first time hunter or someone who isn't real good at handling recoil, behind one. Same bullet weights on the lower end. Same charge and smaller diameter bullets equals more recoil on average than a 30-06. </div></div>
Not really, taking anything from your thoughts, but I dont really consider the .270 as a cartridge with heavy recoil, My small framed fiance shoots mine with no problem. When I think of heavy recoil I tend to think of .300wsm, 12g or 20g slug guns,Muzzle loader with 150g , etc.

Sandwarrior I have a Model 70 XTR in .270 myself. My fiancee has taken it over. She's a little on the small side as well. I was going to get her a .243 but she liked shooting the .270.

It's hard to give advice when we don't know what kind of deer hunting she will be doing. The State of residency of the deer doesn't help narrow it down. Shooting a deer is all about shot placement. Maybe ask her what she wants to practice with and get her that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x47 or 260. Both are effective and have mild recoil. My wife loved her 260.

243 is good but I like a bit more lead flung at a deer. Just personal preference.

One question, has your wife shot any high power rifles to draw a recoil tolerance line?

</div></div>

She shot a 30.06 in a Win 70 and no luck with tolerance on that one
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's hard to give advice when we don't know what kind of deer hunting she will be doing. The State of residency of the deer doesn't help narrow it down. Shooting a deer is all about shot placement. Maybe ask her what she wants to practice with and get her that.
</div></div>
The title says white-tail lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Btillr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's hard to give advice when we don't know what kind of deer hunting she will be doing. The State of residency of the deer doesn't help narrow it down. Shooting a deer is all about shot placement. Maybe ask her what she wants to practice with and get her that.
</div></div>
The title says white-tail lol </div></div>As long as it's the best tail that it can be one should not judge it by its color.
laugh.gif

My wife uses a remington 788 in 243 but she also uses my 7mm08 both will easily take down a whitetail but with a 243 shot placement is a little more important.