• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light Strike on Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
I have a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD that I get light strikes. Light enough such that every 15th round or so does not fire. The rifle is about 6 months old, but I only recently started putting rounds thru it, so for all intents & purposes, it is a new rifle. I have field stripped the bolt and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Surprised me that there appears to be light gray colored grease coating on the bolt (I thought that there would just be a light oil coating). Anyway, I want to start by cleaning this grease off (w/ brake cleaner), lightly oil the spring and put back together to see if this fixes the light strike problem. Anything else that I should do?

Make sure you use a lube that wont turn to varnish ie DO NOT USE WD40!!!! Also use something that wont freeze depending on where you hunt/shoot.

Check for any burrs, etc that may be impeding the movement of the pin. You might also see if someone in your area has a set of go/no go gauges to check your headspacing.

I would suggest leaving the oil out of the picture and, if you must remove it, replace the grease with same or similar type grease. When you say light strike do you see a light indention in the primer or is it just not firing. I am sure you are probably hearing a click but is the pin actually striking the FP?
Also, what ammo are you using?

Definitely seeing a light firing pin indentation. Have put Winchester factory ammo, reloads w/ Federal 210 primers and LakeCity M80 ball.

I will get the head spacing checked out. Any recommendations on gunsmiths in Western PA?

Last edited:
They are about 2 hrs away. Big store but do they do gunsmithing?

This...not the first time I seen this, very likely the chamber is a little deep and should be checked out with a set of gauges to verify.
If this is the case, then in addition to being unsafe, I am killing my brass - correct? I'm trying to get ready for an antelope trip in Sept. - sending the rifle to Remington is not really an option. Again, does anyone know of a gunsmith in western PA?

It's not unsafe in my opinion, probably more of an inconvenience given your timeline. Harder on brass...yes but only after multiple firings where the brass is sized down too far and then refired. One firing will not likely make much of a difference. If you reload this is a very correctable problem if headspace is the problem. A friend of mine has this on a M70 and has hunted with it for 20+ years. He sets his sizer die to the fired case length and never has an issue but factory ammo is not near so reliable. Probably one place where the Lee collet die is made to order.

If time is an issue and you reload, I would adj your sizer die to fit your fired case and not move the shoulder back. Do this allows you to compensate for the extra head space.

Buy a Wolff spring and replace the factory one in the bolt. I've had two new Rem's give me trouble. Both were given the look over by a gunsmith before the problems started. You may have a chamber issue, but for me it was just bad springs.