• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Light Strikes with PWS Summit?

Wahoo95

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2009
NC
Took my PWS Summit out to the range last weekend to sight in my new Mueller APT. The rifle probably has around 300rds through it before this trip and I keep it clean. I noticed that I had a lot of light strikes which was a first for this rifle. I'm estimating 3-4 light strikes per 10rd mag. I originally thought it may be an ammo issue, however it happened with 6 different brands of ammo. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any issues with theirs? This is a factory built rifle.

I take it nobody else has had this issue? That's a good sign since it means it not common. I was able to speak with PWS and they suggested I remove some barrel shims to reset the headspace. I did that and now the action lock up seems a little more firm inspiring some confidence so I'm hoping this resolves the issue when I get back to the range.

I spent several hours at the range trying different numbers of shims to make mine run. Now that its up and running it's great, but that was frustrating.

As much a pain as it was to get apart I'm hoping I got it right the first time!

Please tell us how your PWS T3 shoots? What sort of accuracy will it produce for you and with what ammo/scope combo? What can it do at say 50yds? or 100yds? Talk to me.

Irish

Well before I began having the light strikes I found it to be very accurate with ammo it likes and kinda crappy with stuff it didn't like. At 50yds, 1/2'' or better was normal with Wolf MT, Fiocchi HV, and believe it or not CCI Blazer. I tried some Green Tag, Eley, Aguila Rifle Match, Golden Eagle Rifle Match, and Fed Gold Target and the results were great for hunting but not target shooting ranging from 3/4"-1.5" at 50yds! Haven't shot my preferred Wolf and Blazer at 100yds, however I have shot CCI SV and it was consistently printing in the 1.5" range. When I get back out to the range I will do some more shooting and give you some results with better documentation. Also hoping things tighten up with the headspace adjustment.

Overall I am very happy with the rifle however I wish it was less ammo picky and that has me considering a barrel swap at some point.

Well before I began having the light strikes I found it to be very accurate with ammo it likes and kinda crappy with stuff it didn't like. At 50yds, 1/2'' or better was normal with Wolf MT, Fiocchi HV, and believe it or not CCI Blazer. I tried some Green Tag, Eley, Aguila Rifle Match, Golden Eagle Rifle Match, and Fed Gold Target and the results were great for hunting but not target shooting ranging from 3/4"-1.5" at 50yds! Haven't shot my preferred Wolf and Blazer at 100yds, however I have shot CCI SV and it was consistently printing in the 1.5" range. When I get back out to the range I will do some more shooting and give you some results with better documentation. Also hoping things tighten up with the headspace adjustment.

Overall I am very happy with the rifle however I wish it was less ammo picky and that has me considering a barrel swap at some point.

Thank You. That gives me an idea. May I ask what kind of scope and power setting you were using as that is a factor in bench accuracy.... Irish

I purchased the PWS T3 receiver and trigger group, added a KIDD 20" .920 barrel with muzzle break and a 6.5 - 20 Luepold on a Raptor stock. I completed the build in winter so only fired about 50 rds through it to ensure everything worked. When the weather finally broke here in Canada I took it out to get acquainted, after about 20 rds the light strikes began. It only got worse, they progressed to where it wouldn't fire at all. I returned the rifle to the Canadian importer who's gunsmith correctly diagnosed the problem as a head space issue, his solution was to seat the barrel deeper into the receiver by removing material from the barrel, and he was only going to charge me $150 for this solution. I contacted Tony Kidd who basically said there was no way his barrel was out of factory spec, and and machining of his barrel would void the warranty. It took some prodding to get PWS to bring the rifle back to the factory, They identified a problem, fixed it, fired 30 rds through it and returned it. (Another lengthy process) I haven't gotten out to the range yet, but plan on it next week, not to play with any ammo testing, just to ensure functioning. I don't know what was repaired, but will contact PWS later today for that information and will repost to this thread.

So was this issue cured by removing barrel spacers? Seems like that would be easier than machining the barrel?

Seems like installing spacers would fix the headspace issue rather than milling the barrel no?

Headspace was to great....they wanted to mill away material so the barrel came further into the receiver. PWS found a mechanical issue that caused the excessive head space. Still waiting on an email to explain what was done exactly.

Last edited:
Finally got out to the range to test my Summit. Looks like I was able to resolve the issue of light strikes by removing two barrel shims.