• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light weight 10/22 barrels

Eoddave27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
Bel Air, MD
So I’m building a 10/22 for my youngest son to shoot NRL22 matches with. I would like to keep the rifle as light as possible to help him with the off hand shooting and maneuvering around barricades. I would like to use one of the Kidd light weight aluminum barrels. I’m just concerned that I may have the same problem with it I had with the whistle pig barrel I put on my oldest sons RPR. It shot a lot faster than all my other rifles. So fast in fact that just about any match ammo I shot was coming out of the barrel transonic so the accuracy with traditional match ammo was crap. I wouldn’t really be concerned but a friend of mine with one of the Kidd barrels says his shoots unusually fast too. He uses supersonic ammo so it’s no big deal for him but I like to use subsonic match ammo. If all of these aluminum clad barrels seem to shoot fast for whatever reason I’m just going to buy a Feddersen and we will have to work with him on ways to maneuver the additional weight.

I'd like to try one of the Proof CF barrels, but I have a difficult time justifying that for a stock 10/22 receiver.

I built a lite-weight 10/22 to use in NRL22 positional stages for when my arthritis is acting up using a 16.5 inch Whistle-Pig barrel with no flutes or threading. I've not noticed it shooting any significantly higher speeds than my other 10/22s using either Feddersen barrels or the Proof carbon fiber barrel with 16.1 to 16.5 lengths. When you ordered the RPR barrel, did you get the match chamber?

When I have time, hopefully in the next few days, I'll take the LabRadar over to the range and validate my seat-of-the-pants thoughts on the velocity from the Whistle-Pig barrel.

WP_lite1022a.jpg

WP_lite1022b.jpg

I have a Tactical Solutions barrel and it is very light and shoots good.

My kids Kidd ultralight shoots great with norma match ammo. I haven't chronographed it or anything, but the dope card is almost identical to other 10/22's with the same ammo. The rifle is in a magpul stock, mainly to get the LOP i liked, but it is significantly heavier than a titan.

Reactions: VP47PPC
Could be wrong but an 18inch might scrub some speed.

My experience with KIDD built 16.5 Ultra Light Weight Fluted .870 barrel. SK Rifle Match 1 target at 100 yards 5 shots at .8 and four went .5. Two pictures of 50 yards .22 and .35 not pictured was .25 and .3 group shot at same time at 50 yards. 6.8 pound rifle with Titan stock and leupold VX-3i LRP.
IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1459.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1464.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1465.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1466.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 57
Well I am releaved to hear that no one seems to have the velocity issues I had. I know on my older sons RPR I got so frustrated looking for ammo that would shoot out of the LW barrel we just sold the rifle and bought him a Tikka T1x. That rifle shoots everything well. It isn’t as light as the aluminum barrel was but is still quite a bit better than the factory RPR rifle was. I guess I’ll eithe give the Kidd a shot or possibly a Beyer as I’ve heard really good things about them as well.

I have a LW Kidd barrel and haven’t had any issues with mine.

Barrels would be

Kidd
VQ
BSF
Proof
Beyer
WP (match chamber not the bentz but it has to be cleaned frequently)
Maybe a reworked factory barrel my CPC

Hard to beat the Kidd for the price.

I have a LW Kidd barrel and haven’t had any issues with mine.

Barrels would be

Kidd
VQ
BSF
Proof
Beyer
WP (match chamber not the bentz but it has to be cleaned frequently)
Maybe a reworked factory barrel my CPC

Hard to beat the Kidd for the price.

Yeah, after doing a whole lot of research I think the Kidd will be my best bet. It sounds like they have the most consistant quality with LW barrels. The price also seems very reasonable when comparing it to other similar barrels.

I know you're leaning towards the Kidd, but I stated that I'd get you velocity on the 16.5 inch Whistle-Pig barrel. The Whistle-Pig was an average of 5FPS (1063 FPS) slower than the Proof Research (1068 FPS) 10/22 barrel when using Wolf Match Extra made by Eley.

I know you're leaning towards the Kidd, but I stated that I'd get you velocity on the 16.5 inch Whistle-Pig barrel. The Whistle-Pig was an average of 5FPS (1063 FPS) slower than the Proof Research (1068 FPS) 10/22 barrel when using Wolf Match Extra made by Eley.

Thanks. I must have just got a screwy barrel. Who knows what the issue was. The first one I got wouldn’t shoot due to the velocity issue so I exchanged it for another. The velocity and accuracy were identical. That was when we just threw in the towel and ordered a Tikka.

Proof research has come out with a 1022 barrel. Good luck finding one right now though.

I have both a lightweight Beyer barrel and a Kidd Lightweight (not ULW). They both shoot
really well (shots touching) with a variety of Ammo at 50 yards off the bench. Never shoot them any further.

Well I just finished my sons 10/22. Once Tikka comes out with their lefty model I will probably get him that but this should serve him well for now. I ended up just getting him a Feddersen barrel and putting it in a Boyd’s At One stock. I was really surprised at how short the LOP on one of these is when completely collapsed. The LOP is 12 3/4” which is close to perfect for him. The barrel is heavy but I got him a 16 1/2” which helps some and we will just work on his strength for offhand shooting. I still need to get out to the range and sight it in but I am optimistic. The last Feddersen barrel I had was fantastic so hopefully this one will be the same.

0B750F9A-236D-4AC2-B34E-0E9992BE8D3B.jpeg
71803DC3-742C-4BF9-BC25-22CE8AEA2F2F.jpeg
25C487D3-9985-4219-A585-DB9FB6278172.jpeg

Reactions: Frankr
Right
Very nice looking 10/22 Dave. What trigger is in it?

Right now it has a Ruger BX trigger that I took apart and tuned myself. It is significantly better than a stock BX trigger. I’m going to eventually put a Kidd trigger in it but my son is only 9 now and he will not really appreciate the trigger now. Once he shoots for a little while and starts competing with his older brother I will look into farther upgrades. As I said I may get him a T1x if they release a LH model. Where we shoot bolt is one class and semiautomatic is another. It will probably be better off with them not competing against each other in the beginning anyway.