• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light weight scope options

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I am searching for a light weight scope for a rimfire build. Currently I have a Vortex LHT 4.5-22 on it and with how I have the rifle built the weight & balance is just about perfect for what I want. While the LHT seems to be a fine scope, I wanted to make sure I am not missing any other similar scopes. I need this scope to:
    -track 100% (so far the LHT is, even though there have been grumbling of them not)
    -correct parallax down to min 25-30 yards
    -weigh well under 30oz (otherwise I know what scopes to choose from)
    -mil / mil reticle and turrets
    -better turret feel than the LHT (which sucks)
    -max magnification up at or over 20X, I don’t need super low magnification 5X is fine
    -the best optical quality I can get, specifically resolution, I do not get in a fuss about colors or having the brightest scope possible as long as it doe not limit my ability to put my round where I want it
    -price isn’t really a concern as long as it is justified

Right now I am really only seeing the March Compact series, but I haven’t ever had an opportunity to check them out.
    I appreciate any suggestions

March or NX8 4-32 for 10 yard parallax with nice glass - anything else will be larger, longer, heavier or chinesier.

March or NX8 4-32 for 10 yard parallax with nice glass - anything else will be larger, longer, heavier or chinesier.
    Yeah, the NX8 is also on the list. I forgot to mention that one. I am very interested in the March, but I can get the NX8 at a nice price so I am not sure if the March is worth the price.

Euro Optic has some smoking deals on a few Trijicon models that might fit the bill.

**EDIT A closer look and it seems like it’s mostly the SFP models getting blown out.

Last edited:
    Yeah, the NX8 is also on the list. I forgot to mention that one. I am very interested in the March, but I can get the NX8 at a nice price so I am not sure if the March is worth the price.
    I think the NX8 2.5-20x50 offers a better experience than the March 3-24x52, the March's images begins to degrade after 20x, the latest version of the 2.5-20 has significantly improved their edge to edge clarity.

Reactions: jbell
    Not sure if the March 4.5x28x52 is an option for you, but I hear good things about it. Not sure if it's worth it though if you get a good deal on the Nightforce NX8.

Reactions: RayDBonz and jbell
    Not sure if the March 4.5x28x52 is an option for you, but I hear good things about it. Not sure if it's worth it though if you get a good deal on the Nightforce NX8.
    I have been curious how the NX8 4-32x50 and March 4.5-28x52 compare. I would not hesitate to put the 4.5-28 on a rimfire

I think the NX8 2.5-20x50 offers a better experience than the March 3-24x52, the March's images begins to degrade after 20x, the latest version of the 2.5-20 has significantly improved their edge to edge clarity.
    When was the NF upgraded?
    Did they address the finicky parallax?

There's the Athlon helos btr gen2 4-20 has same FOV as a zco 420. 13" long 27.5oz. Locking turrets, great mil tree floating dot reticle, illuminated. I've looked through a few, plenty of scope for long range engagements.

I don't believe so, but I just acquired a 2.5-20x50 mil XT and it's WAY better than the original sample I looked at 2 years ago.
    My experience as well. It’s possible that early releases didn’t have very good QC, also possible that Nightforce made a few changes after initial feedback, other mfr’s have done this before.

Reactions: sodakhunter
    The Sightron SIII PLR 6-24x50 FFP I am reviewing right now fits your bill well. This is the same optical platform as the SIII mil-mil FFP I reviewed a few years back but with massively improved turrets. They are now 10mil / turn and have a zero stop. They also have a really great feel. Very positive, quite tactile and audible, medium resistance, no uncontrolable overclick. Sightron has also told me that they have greatly improved the standards on adjustment magnitude. Indeed, the one I am testing tracks @ 100%. It also focuses close @ 20M. 28oz and the 50mm size makes it a bit smaller and more managable on a rimfire. So far, the optics do indeed seem to be the same as those in my previous SIII review though I still have a good deal of optics testing yet to do on this one. If this proves the case though, I am told it will as it is the same optical design, it puts optical performance about in line with the asking price as it was better than the other scopes in the ~$1k price range and not as good as those at ~$2k. I've spent a lot of time now over the last couple years behind the first SIII as it has been on my Anschutz 1710 and it's field performance has continued to impress. It is quite comfortable to be behind and does better than most on days with poor lighting. As with the previous SIII's the PLR is made in the Sightron (Kenko) Japan facility.

Probably too late for any help but the Arken EP4L in 6-24x FFP might be a good fit? It weighs in at 23.7oz which is significantly lighter than their EP5 at 39oz or or the SH4 at 36.6oz. I have not tried the EP4L yet but have been very, very pleased with my SH4's and the EP5 that I currently have. They are all stunning for the price point. I would not compare them to March or NF in the same breath but those are very high dollar optics.

Reactions: jbell
    Thank you too everyone who gave suggestions. I was borrowing that LHT from my brother. After all the research I went back to the LHT as that was the best option that checked all the boxes. So far I'm very happy with it.