• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Light Weight Sleeping bags

Re: Light Weight Sleeping bags

I prefer Western Mountaineering. Their light weight series bags have no equal for the weight to warmth ratio and pure performance. In fact, all WM bags have no equal. There are very few companies I have not used and can honestly say for down, WM is the only choice.

The bags I recommend in your category:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=20

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=19

My favorite bag is the Renaissance from Integral Designs. I had Evan the owner of ID stitch me up a custom bag stitched on the Renaissance pattern. Mine weighs right at 2lb 4oz and I have used it at 4F per the Kestrel. My best bud and I put up a first ascent in the Chugach Range in Alaska, known for its horrendous weather, we had to actually survive a night in a Gach storm after we got soaking wet descending down from the climb in very Gach weather.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=721&CFID=2141340&CFTOKEN=83054669

Its been 7 years or so since I had my body inside a Monte' Bell. The Monte' Bell system develops holes / cold spots in the down with their stretch system as the shell gets stretched during use. Stretching the shell by hand and then running your hand along the inside shell can feel areas of no/thin down. I had to return several of these series bags due to customer complaints of being cold so I dropped the line.

Knockemdown,

The wife has a wiggy's, and I froze my butt off on an elk hunt a few years back. I think they rated it generously, like a 0 degree bag that was really a 20 degree bag.

I used to live in Eagle River and spent some time in teh Chugach range. That's where I learned to appreciate buying the right stuff the first time.

So, for general hunting in eastern WA and in the Mountains (up to 5,000 foot base camp), you'd recommend the internal designs bag, or the Western Mountaineering bag?

What do you think about the MontBell Super Spiral Hugger #1 Down Sleeping Bag: 15 Degree as an all around bag?

Also, how much does a bivy like the Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec Bivy Bag af for warmth?

I am not a fan of bivy bags or bag covers, all they do is add extra weight and stop moisture transfer from your sleeping bag. This will add moisture that will diminish your bags performance and just add weight from the moisure.

WM are not cheap but once you see and use one, you understand. The best place to buy one was from me but I no longer in the mom pop gear shop business. They are price fixed, if you sign the contract for WM, you must sell them at MSRP.

Give Evan a call at ID, the Renaissance in my opinion is the best synth sleeping bag on the market, 20F is the perfect temp rating, I have two that never failed me. Nothing is as warm for the weight and packed sized in a synth bag, like I said, used about them all and ID does not lie on perimeters for advertising.

Good luck

I have had really good luck with Mountain Hardware down bags. I have used my 20 degree bag in subzero weather and been fully comfortable.

I also have a mountain hardware 20deg bag and love it. The down bags are a bit pricey but thats the price you pay for down. Granted my views are skewed working for them but none the less the gear it top notch.

I spent a great deal of time winter camping in Alaska. Spent many a night outside sleeping in snow banks during years of Brim Frost games. Above the AC, and was a company commander of the Guard Unit NW of nome. Spent nights at 70 below in Galena and was quite comfortable. Lots of nights on glaciers and para chuting into the Chugach Mtns and skiing out. Took a 100 mile ski trip east of Kotz, I like my North Face.

For such games, I will not buy anything but the North Face Down bags. But again, I learned to keep them dry and dry them out after a nights rest.

Still using the same North Fact I got in the '70s, I think it might have lost some of its UMP, but it dosnt get as cold in Wyoming, plus I got old and do my winter camping in a camper.

I'll have to add, knowing how to sleep in sub zero temps is as important, if not more so, then the sleeping bag.

I would recommend anyone contiplating such adventure find the book, "Paradise Below Zero" Its a lot of fun if you have young bones and understand sub-zero camping.

http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Below-Zer...8538&sr=1-1

That was when TNF was TNF, some of the best high end kit out there but not anymore. Tents still good but heavy for todays designs.

But you said a mouth full, knowing how to camp in the arctic is one skill you must master, not sure being comfortable at -70 is a accurate description but some of us understand.

BF 89! that was a cold muthr' when many operations got canceled due to the cold.

Reading helps but a good guide / instructor is best. You have no idea how many Cheekas I had that were totally clueless to basic winter camping and survival skills. Only had two major hit-the-fans, young girl up from Kali wearing / using nothing but down and a local old timer out of his element for his age. I had to call safety and react fast.

@ David Walter: Yes! Highly Recommended.

Currently have a *used* (perfect condition) Gortex ECWCS 3-Part Sleep System. Woodland Camo. Gortex outer, OD green Patrol bag, and black Intermediate Cold Weather. A tad voluminous but the System is configurable allowing the weight/size of the System to "scale" based on your intended environment. With all 3-bags, the System is temperature rated to -40deg F for 3hrs.

I've used the System in various conditions ranging from snow, sand, rain, and wind. Solid A! In fact, my son's Scout buddies even requested this System for Christmas.

Understand there are lighter, better, smaller bags on the market. However, their cost typically far exceed the miltary 3-part System.

Note: the bag is $300 (new) or $150 (used - reconditioned) online.

western mountaineering all the way i have the antelope 5 degree bag but i would use it in colder without a worry. they have a great selection.

Montbell gets good reviews for reasonably priced bags on the backpacking forums.

There is no better sleeping bag on earth than a Western Mountaineering. I have a 35 degree (20 oz, can get lighter but I got the more durable microfiber shell), a 20 (32 oz, ditto), and a 0 "wide mummy" or "semi rectangular" (3.5lbs). I have slept in all of them in underwear and a hat at their rated temperatures multiple times and been totally comfortable.

IMPORTANT: Note that when it's cold (maybe below 30-40 degrees), you need to sleep on a pad rated for those temperatures, too. Your weight crushes the insulation in the bag beneath you and your heat will leach into the cold ground if you don't have a pad.

Only if you sleep flat on your back. I sleep on my side and had WM sew my winter bag 50/50 with extra down fill and my other bags with no side baffle over filled so the down does not migrate during use.

Plus down drapes around the body decreasing dead air space so the body does not have to warm that air up as much and with a pad inside the bag, cause extra dead air space taking more body heat to stay warm.