• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightening up a howa mini

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Just thinking, not necessarily doing.

My go-to hunter is a howa mini 6.5Grendel in a boyds laminate tactical/varmint stock. All dressed up she weighs 10lbs loaded and I'm wondering is there much I could actually shave off of it?

My brother in law wants to do some deep country hunts this year and I don't mind carrying a 10lb rifle, but its winter and I'm bored and we all like to think about changing our shit up cause we can't help ourselves.

Rifle specs:
Stock 20" Howa mini action with #6 heavy barrel
Boyds laminate tactical stock (site claims 3lbs)
DPM aluminum bottom metal
Warne scope base and rings (in 2017 that was the only base available)
PST gen 1 2.5-10x32
Magpul sling and bipod

Really the only thing that I see for weight saving is maybe ditching the bipod for the hunt, and switching to a boyds walnut stock, switching to ultralight rings such as nightfoce or murphy, and maybe moving to a carbon fiber barrel.

Is that really even going to add up to a whole pound? Seems like a lot of effort for minimal savings.

Actually, I see that bell and carlson sporter is only 2lbs so just switching to their stock will offer the largest possible change. I know the Jtac elf owl is lighter, but I am not a fan of it.

Last edited:
Sell it. Get the 22” light barrel version.
Chop it to 19”
Drop it into a Stocky’s carbon.
Jefferson Outdoor BDL bottom metal.

Not done it myself, but there’s some other forums where that setup is quite well thought of.

This is my kids grendel with a Stockysstocks carbon.
7lbs 9oz with the magazine empty. Scope is a fairly heavy PST Gen2 3-15 (28oz).

20240101_100430.jpg

Reactions: Evlshnngns
I like that stockys carbon, since it closely matches the lines of the stock that I have.

A plain synthetic stock is almost always the lighter option on hunting guns. Your barrel is definitely the biggest hurdle. You could mess around with a bunch of stuff or just order a new barreled action and put it in a plain synthetic stock and move on with your life. Brownells has a new stainless 20" skinny barrel that seems perfect and if their specs are correct weighs less than the carbon fiber barrel version. Don't overcomplicate it.

Just seen that brownells.com has the stainless mini's. That would definitely be the way I would go and throw it in a Carbon VG stockysstocks

Just seen that brownells.com has the stainless mini's. That would definitely be the way I would go and throw it in a Carbon VG stockysstocks
How has your experience with stocky stocks been? I have an old howa SA sitting around that I’m looking to drop into something new. Was considering the bravo but saving a pound with a VG2 sounds nice

How has your experience with stocky stocks been? I have an old howa SA sitting around that I’m looking to drop into something new. Was considering the bravo but saving a pound with a VG2 sounds nice

I needed to sand the barrel channel to open it up a little. But for the sub-$400 price I was impressed.

I needed to sand the barrel channel to open it up a little. But for the sub-$400 price I was impressed.
did you bed the action/install pillars or just torque it to spec? The accublock system sounds great but part of me just finds it hard to believe some of the items on their website

I just torqued it in. The barrel was touching the left side of the stock. So I spend 5min with sandpaper and its it was free floating.

I still have the plastic bottom metal so I didn't torque it very high. I actually have no idea what kind of groups it shoots. My 10yo did the load work and can keep dang near 100% of his shots on a 6" plate at 300yds positional shooting off of a tripod. It's a unbraked lighter hunting rifle so he prefers other guns for high volume bench shooting.

I have a 22" pencil barrel howa mini in 6.5G as well, but it does not shoot anywhere near as nice as the bull barrel. I would give up weight before I switched to the stock howa pencil barrel.

I'm guessing you are seeing something besides the barrel accuracy in your two samples. I would expect them to shoot similarly.

6.5 Grendel barreled action from Brownells with the 20” light weight barrel threaded 1/2-20 (FYI). Stocky’s Carbon VG stock. Exactly 5.0 lbs empty and un-scoped. Will cut barrel back to 18” and thread to 1/2-28 and add a hinged floor plate as soon as they become available. I have a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 and a VX-6 2-12x42 on hand. Leaning towards the 2-7 for sheer weight advantage.

Attachments

• IMG_2053.jpeg
    IMG_2053.jpeg
    571.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Reactions: Evlshnngns
It looked like the pictures on brownells showed a hinged floorplate. Was hoping they were actually shipping that way.

How did. You stock fit? I had to sand the barrel channel on mine, but wasn't horrible. The stock fits my kids ok

It looked like the pictures on brownells showed a hinged floorplate. Was hoping they were actually shipping that way.

How did. You stock fit? I had to sand the barrel channel on mine, but wasn't horrible. The stock fits my kids ok
I've only ever seen the minis with their DMB setup. I think it's the only way they come.

6.5 Grendel barreled action from Brownells with the 20” light weight barrel threaded 1/2-20 (FYI). Stocky’s Carbon VG stock. Exactly 5.0 lbs empty and un-scoped. Will cut barrel back to 18” and thread to 1/2-28 and add a hinged floor plate as soon as they become available. I have a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 and a VX-6 2-12x42 on hand. Leaning towards the 2-7 for sheer weight advantage.
Which hinged floor plate are you going with? Oregunsmithing or Jefferson Outdoors? I have the Grendel in a Pendleton Custom Stock’s Carbon fiber and the Oregunsmithing Bottom metal that comes in at 6lbs 3oz with a Leupold 3-9x40 on it.

Reactions: MeekGG
Which hinged floor plate are you going with? Oregunsmithing or Jefferson Outdoors? I have the Grendel in a Pendleton Custom Stock’s Carbon fiber and the Oregunsmithing Bottom metal that comes in at 6lbs 3oz with a Leupold 3-9x40 on it.
I’m learning towards the Jefferson Outdoor. They should be releasing a SS version soon. What scope mounts are you using? I have some Talleys getting delivered today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc

My stock fits very close to perfect. I did have to hold the barrel slightly to the right to get it centered in the barrel channel when torqued down. It is fully floated via the dollar bill test but there was some resistance when doubled up. If anything I may open the barrel channel up slightly for a little extra added assurance.

Last edited:
I’m learning towards the Jefferson Outdoor. They should be releasing a SS version soon. What scope mounts are you using? I have some Talleys getting delivered today.
On the Grendel, I have Leupold 2 piece standard bases and steel medium Leupold/Redfield bases. On the 223, I had a set of vintage Leupold QD rings and bases laying about, so I went that route. I could probably shave some more weight with Talley, but had these on hand.

Reactions: MeekGG
Howdy all! I just received my Jefferson Outdoor bottom metal. Fit and finish is very nice. If anything it could be just a little bit darker to match the matte silver finish on the action. Overall I am pleased with it. I also had the barrel shortened to 18” and threaded for the more common 1/2x28 and I added the clamp on bolt knob from Howa when they went on sale recently. Picture of overall weight is with Talley Lightweights and Leupold VX6 2-12x42 minus a sling.
IMG_2561.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2565.jpeg
    IMG_2565.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2567.jpeg
    IMG_2567.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2566.jpeg
    IMG_2566.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: