• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lighter bullet, OAL, and seating depth?

Boyscout618

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
DC area
Rifle is a 700 7mm-08, 9.25-twist, 26" SPS Varmint. It shoots great with my current load, but the issue I have, like many others, is that to load the bullet (162 ELD-M) .015 off the lands, I have to load them over magazine capacity. I'm at 2.960 right now.

My question is, if I switch to a lighter bullet, say the Bergers 150 or 150 ELD-X, won't I still have to seat them over mag length to be at the lands or even a little off? I've heard people suggest starting load workup with the bullet up against the lands to get the most case capacity, and this would make it even longer.. theoretically? I know each type of bullet has different geometries and needs to be tested individually, but even if it's a lighter and shorter bullet, won't it have to be just as long to make contact with the rifling? Or am I overthinking this?

You are overthinking it. If your twist rate will stabilize it, start at mag length, then when you have found your powder charge try some shorter OALs. I have found plenty of accurate loads jumping the bullet in the .1 area and further.

A lighter bullet with a lower bc will likely put the ogive a little closer to the rifling. I wouldn't choose a lighter bullet because of that.

Find the oal length that will feed all 4 (assuming internal mag) with some margin. Work your load there, then reduce oal in a few increments to see if it shoots better. If you don't find an acceptable load, try another bullet. I'd rebarrel before I used a load that wouldn't mag feed, but I guess that depends on what you use the rifle for.