• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest accurate bolt action?

264win

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    I’m interested in a light weight 22.
    I would love to build a vudoo with a carbon barrel and HNT 26 stock, but a $4k rifle isn’t in the cards at the moment.

If you are looking for a PRS type, disregard my post. But a guy can pick up Anschutz sporters for under 2K, 1600 and below more like it.
    I picked up a NIB 1416 for 1150, and it outshoots my Vudoo and Rim X, has minor extraction issues that I have been too lazy to address as of this time.

I do like the B14 carbon but am curious about the accuracy.
    I also like the Annie 1416 but everyone I have shot has notable extraction issues, the amazing trigger almost makes up for it though.

I’m open to any style, but a folding stock option would be a plus

I do like the B14 carbon but am curious about the accuracy.
    I also like the Annie 1416 but everyone I have shot has notable extraction issues, the amazing trigger almost makes up for it though.

I’m open to any style, but a folding stock option would be a plus
    I am no expert, even though I have spare parts, I have not fixed mine. Lot of info how, and really, it doesn't look hard to do. Plus if you read on it, the fix makes sense, the left claw holding on too tight.
    I believe Anschutz will fix if a guy could get ahold of them.

I am no expert, even though I have spare parts, I have not fixed mine. Lot of info how, and really, it doesn't look hard to do. Plus if you read on it, the fix makes sense, the left claw holding on too tight.
    I believe Anschutz will fix if a guy could get ahold of them.
    They are pretty easy to get in contact with, give ANA a call and who ever answers the phone will transfer you to the person you need to talk to to address what ever you need:
    Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 5.02.46 PM.png

Reactions: DIBBS
    Vudoo as you mentioned makes zero sense, based on what is in the OP. Look at something with ±18mm barrels. Anything european--tikka, sako, anshutz, cz\--probably makes an excellent build in this weight class.

OP, what are you planning to use the rifle for?

It's unfortunate that Anschutz discontinued the model 64; I got one of the last 1416AV they had in stock, and it's a great rifle. It hasn't had any extraction issues either.

For the "lightest" bolt action rifle with good accuracy; I have a Bergara BMR Carbon...not a fan of the "plastic" stock, mostly because the pistol grip is too swept back, more like a shotgun.

Reactions: Charger442
    I may have gone the email route, cannot recall, no luck. I was not persistent about it.
    For a purchase, the email route "Click here if you're interested" works well. For a problem, use the phone and talk to a real person. I'm not a fan of resolving anything unless I talk to someone.

Annies are nice guns - I have two 1761's - both are beautiful and shoot fine. They are also three times the cost of my Tikka T1x but they're not three times as accurate nor half as reliable as the Tikka. Aftermarket parts and accessories also favor the Tikka with more coming out all of the time.

The gun will be used for mostly field shooting and hunting.
    I have been packing my 15 lb vudoo everywhere the last few years. And especially when I do long rides or hikes it’s just a bit much.
    The CZ 457 varmint looks promising as well, it’s available with threaded barrel and chassis

Reactions: Milo 2.5
    For general field shooting and hunting I would consider a KIDD Supergrade. You will get accuracy to rival all but the best match rifles, light weight with the light barrel option. A great trigger, threaded muzzle, and the advantage of semi auto fire for hunting and plinking.
    Ignore if you simply must have a bolt gun. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
    I've got an Anschutz 1712 AV (54) that weighs .2 oz under that. I didn't realize the T1X were that heavy.
    T1x has perfect out-of-the-box balance on GC. So lighter or heavier IMHO would mess it up. Thats why I would say 20in x 18mm barrel, and then figure out (brand, stock, etc) from there.

Last edited:
    ultralite arms, as a friend once said, the best shooting lightweight 22 in the free world, my favorite hunting 22.

I think there aren't a ton of options at good price points. T1X is heavy, and hard to find with a 16" barrel. Bergara BMR seems like a good option, but limited stock support so far. Steryr Zephyr seems to have good features, but limited versions out there in the wild right now to get a sense for how they are performing.

I bought a b14r carbon off the hide! It is a amazing rifle and not picky on ammo. I have rimx, vudoos, and have had many other vudoos and this rifle impresses me!!

anyone have any experience with the Christensen ranger?

I checked out the tikka, CZ and bergara today.
    I like the tikka and CZ best so far

Just a follow up for anyone else looking at the same rifles.
    I found a shop that had several examples in stock of all four rifles I was interested in

CZ 457 pro varmint $630
    Tikka t1x $630
    Bergara $530
    Christensen ranger $820

I liked the CZ and Tikka best by far and would have been happy with either. Both look and feel like quality rifles and have no obvious flaws.

The bergara was lacking by comparison in fit, finish, and design. It very likely shoots just as well as the others, but I can be a bit of a rifle snob and didn’t care for it at all.

The Ranger was the best looking and had the best stock. The fit and finish on the exterior is good. But I thought the action was not as well designed or executed compared to the CZ and tikka, more rough edges, machine marks, etc. The bolt handle was attached with a screw so small I would legitimately be worried it might snap from hard use or a fall.

I ended up with the tikka because I found a deal on a chassis. In a week or so I should have everything and be able to head out for some testing.

Do they make a 22 lr ?

I don’t know if my Google fu is broken or you are pulling my leg.
    Been bought by Wilson combat.

He used to sell complete single shot and repeaters(history of mag problems)
    Also sold bear actions. Can find more info on rimfire central.

Not sure what Wilson’s combats plans are , hopefully not bob beck ish

Reactions: 264win
    I have a few light builds (mostly with PRS/NRL for smaller builds in mind) I have built up in my head:
    * Tikka with a Proof Research carbon barrel, possibly an AG Composite stock.
    * CZ VPT with a Proof carbon. (currently in work)
    * Bergara B14r carbon with a Grayboe Phoenix stock.

If I just wanted a walking rifle, I would probably go with a BMR carbon or Tikka.

Last edited:
    I would love to build a vudoo with a carbon barrel and HNT 26 stock, but a $4k rifle isn’t in the cards at the moment.
    With those parameters, I’m thinking the alloy version of the Summit toggle/straight pull action would be best. There are barrels out there less than a pound, trigger packs that can be any pull weight desired, and more stock choices than you would believe.

I’ve got the BMR steel( another guy got there earlier) but not really a missed thing,still shoots crazy accurate ,no operational problems and magazines that work great ,drop out when you want and stay in when you want ,match chamber,andA good trigger unless you want a better ,any rem 700 trigger.

The gun will be used for mostly field shooting and hunting.
    I have been packing my 15 lb vudoo everywhere the last few years. And especially when I do long rides or hikes it’s just a bit much.
    The CZ 457 varmint looks promising as well, it’s available with threaded barrel and chassis
    After adding glass, and perhaps a light bipod, the 457 Varmint Chassis with thin 24” barrel is still not what I would call a lightweight gun.

I was really impressed with the design features, reliability, and shape/proportions of the stock of the CZ457 American I bought back in 2017. I'd read so much about these rifles having good accuracy that I was really disappointed with mine, having shot it with several lots and grades of SK & Lapua ammo and never getting any decent groups at 50yds. I continued shooting with it, as some of the guys over on RFC mentioned their CZs required extended break-in before accuracy improved. After examining the ragged factory muzzle crown with a Hawkeye borescope, I pulled the OEM bbl and re-cut the muzzle with a precision 11* crown, which made for slight improvement, but it was still far from good enough to make me happy. Eventually I ordered in a Shilen ratchet #5 contour, parted off the heavy shank, cut the tenon to be a snug fit in the 457, used an EPS reamer and set it up with .042" headspace, cut the extractor slots on my mill, and glued it into the action with #609 Loctite. The Shilen was about 1/2lb heavier than the factory bbl, and I did have to open up the factory wood stock's bbl channel a bit by sanding to get it to fit, but I've now got a good looking sporter that shoots at least as good as it looks.

A few months later, I ordered in a 457 VPT with the Manners stock, and had bbl issues again, though this time, the 50yd accuracy did actually improve over the course of firing 500+ rds of SK through it. But when I backed off to 100-200yds, it fell on its face, so was treated to the same Shilen therapy - only this time, I went with a .920" straight bbl. Again, the results were worth the effort. I own four Vudoo repeaters (3 Gen 1s & a 360), a Rim-X, a couple of nice Anschutz sporters, a Sako P94S, Rem 541T - and these two re-barreled 457s are still my favorite light factory rifles, though the Vudoo Gen 1 sporter I built with a Krieger #4 sporter bbl in a Manners EH-2 stock will out-shoot the CZs by a slight margin.

Reactions: obx22
    Plus 1

I’ve got the BMR steel( another guy got there earlier) but not really a missed thing,still shoots crazy accurate ,no operational problems and magazines that work great ,drop out when you want and stay in when you want ,match chamber,andA good trigger unless you want a better ,any rem 700 trigger.

Pictures of the final product, I am very happy with this setup. 7.5 lbs as pictured.

Attachments

• 15DC8F01-5B6A-4E3C-820D-85D833CD9508.jpeg
      15DC8F01-5B6A-4E3C-820D-85D833CD9508.jpeg
      840.8 KB · Views: 81
    • 836711A6-40E1-4F23-B573-C5292909713F.jpeg
      836711A6-40E1-4F23-B573-C5292909713F.jpeg
      873.4 KB · Views: 80
    • 8E0E5177-14ED-4D49-92A1-7EF7CB7EC497.jpeg
      8E0E5177-14ED-4D49-92A1-7EF7CB7EC497.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 67
    • 7B2B0C75-1A78-49DD-9DC8-3F100C137A18.jpeg
      7B2B0C75-1A78-49DD-9DC8-3F100C137A18.jpeg
      372.7 KB · Views: 76
    I had always intended to try a T1x, but could never find them in stock at my usual wholesale jobbers back when I was buying the CZs. And after I had re-barreled the two 457s mentioned above, I lost interest in buying one. But it looks for sure that you've found pretty much exactly what you were looking for - sweet little rifle.

I have a older 1416 that tips the scales at 5.5 pounds. With a pretty quiet 23 inch barrel. The newer 64 actions seem thicker stocked and weighed in about 6 pounds. I"m a disabled guy in a wheelchair so weight is a issue for me. For the weight to accuracy nothing has matched my older slim stocked 1416. Oh except my Exemplar pistols built on a 64 action. They are amazing and fun to shoot. No issues with shell ejection but I have issues with a 1710 that just spins the brass and sometimes it falls out. You take your chances with any rimfire on that in my experiences.

For field and hunting,if none of those mentioned works,buy a used Marlin 60,70,795 semi auto and their accuracy is very sufficient,most are as accurate as any Ruger and as reliable or in my experience,more reliable than Rugers.sorry guys,I grew up in the Golden age of guns, but shy away from the Remlins,The Marlin (original) barrels were known as really top grade tubes.I know ,a few youngsters here will say “ Old Guy guns” but for field and hunting,still very real firearms. ….. and about 5 lbs …..silence hear the pins drop?

My favorite walk around 22 for hunting is a HK300 in 22 magnum.

But I have a old Browning take down too however it doesn't have a scope on it.

Have a Anschutz 1827F 22rf but it has a heavy steel scope base and heavy scope on it so best suited for long range hunting.

Then I skip all the way down to pcp air rifles. I like the Daystate Revere or FX Royale. Much more challenge with a pcp past 50Y.

The Christensen Arms Ranger 22 is the lightest .22LR bolt gun out there to my knowledge...

I really like mine, it's pretty damn accurate.

Bergara is the lightest bolt.

My old Anschutz 1416 is surprisingly light. Love that bastard. Really want a 1712 AV.

Need to sell off my 77/22 with CF barrel but I may weigh it first..