• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest AR-308 ?

eoperator

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2011
WI
Any suggestions for short light ar-308, mostly used as mid range hunting rifle? I've heard great things about Rock River LAR-8 mid length, only adding free float tube & smith vortex muzzle brake you end up with a 1/2-3/4 moa gun weighing just 8.0 LBS. Any opinions/suggestions {maybe a build} would be greatly appreciated.

I have Mark 4 2.5-8x36 ILL RET M2 for rifle

Re: Lightest AR-308 ?

DPMS orcale 8.3 lbs, 10.6 lbs as configured now. Better shooter than I expected it would be.

2z8vz1t.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eoperator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lightest AR-308 ?</div></div>
The one with the shortest barrel...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eoperator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lightest AR-308 ?</div></div>
The one with the shortest barrel...</div></div>

Or, the one you're not carrying. LoL
grin.gif

My Bushmaster ORC is not bad. Currently it is sporting a red dot and MOE handguard. Weight is about 10 lbs unloaded.

Its no comparison to how lightweight the SCAR 17 is though.

LaRue has a new rifle coming out also. It is a pencil barrel AR with a modular style quadrail, dubbed the PredetAR 308.

I have a 308 DPMS AP-4 with rails, 16" barrel, Leupold 3 x 9 MK4 and it is just about 10lbs.

CC,
Do you have one of the JP Hunter rifles? If so, how do you like it? It is on my list of .308 AR's. Thanks!
Glenn

@ DocGlenn- No i do not have one as of yet, but my wife gave me the ok to pull the trigger on the purchase so here shortly i will be the proud owner of a really expensive reciept hahahaha

I built a MA-ten with a Noveske 18" barrel and a battlecomp compensator and it weighs 9lb 10oz empty with no optic. Worth mentioning is the very heavy weight of the Noveske barrel. Its beefy.
The rest of the build consists of a 12" Troy Battlerail, MOE stock on a Vltor 308 stock with a RISR on top of it and an armalite bolt. H3 bolt.

The armalite bolt carrier is different than an ar15 bolt in more than just size. The opening where the hammer functions is not open all the way through, its only open on the bottom. The top of it is solid. It seems like thats a waste of material there, but I didnt engineer it lol
The RISR weighs 1lb 1oz. So, thats a pretty heavy attachment for such a small thing.

It looks like the Rainier Match barrel weighs less than the noveske and is cheaper too but I had my heart set on Noveske and the Rock barrel from GAP cut to 18" was a little less than $800 so that was out of my budget.
I'm sending my barrel off the get dimpled to take the weight down some more pending funds.

Cant go wrong with LaRue, Im still using the season rub in my cooking and mounts for my ar. Great stuff!

My Noveske N6 is 13.5 With optics and a loaded 20 round mag and bipod. 8.5 naked. Accurate? Bah!