• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest AW cut short action?

4O6shootist

F. J. B.
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2021
USA
Curios if anyone knows of a lightweight action that's aw cut. Lightest I've found is what appears to be the Impact NBK at 28oz. I've contacted several manufacturers who make lightweight and aw cut actions, but none will morph the two together, like a zermatt Ti3 with tl3s aw cut, or a lone peak Fuzion Ti with the standard fuzions aw mag well.

Has anyone had an action altered from aics/bdl cut machined open for AW mags?

Whole reason, tyring to build a NRL hunter rifle with lightest action possible which can utilize a low profile magazine. Yes aics actions with ARC aics mags are low profile, but those mags can be a problem in incliment weather(I have ARC mags, I know). AW mags have been very good to me in actions cut for them in crap weather and conditions, hence the reason I want to run them. With their low height, they've never been an issue bottoming against props or rocks when shooting positional.

Probably not going to be easy to find without having an action altered. Lightweight actions are marketed to hunters mostly, and there's no real need for AW mags in that niche. They require different mag latches or work done to make them run, as well as most hunters don't need 10rnds.

If it were me, I'd just get the titanium action of my choice and run 5rnd aics mags. Plenty of time to change mags on clock in matches like NRL hunter.

Probably not going to be easy to find without having an action altered. Lightweight actions are marketed to hunters mostly, and there's no real need for AW mags in that niche. They require different mag latches or work done to make them run, as well as most hunters don't need 10rnds.

If it were me, I'd just get the titanium action of my choice and run 5rnd aics mags. Plenty of time to change mags on clock in matches like NRL hunter.
I really like the extra oal inside the aw mags for running my 153.5s in the 65cm at 2.950 coal too! All the other aics mags are we bit tight for that unfortunately. Guess I need to call LRI and see if they'll modify an action to take aw mags. The old Mack Bros Evo Ti was aw cut, but now all the new ones are aics, gay.......

I'll dig around. We build mostly hunting rifles. But I can't recall any lightweight having an AW cut. And I prefer AW mags myself personally. But I think it's going to be steel actions only.

LRI would likely be the best option.

Curios if anyone knows of a lightweight action that's aw cut. Lightest I've found is what appears to be the Impact NBK at 28oz. I've contacted several manufacturers who make lightweight and aw cut actions, but none will morph the two together, like a zermatt Ti3 with tl3s aw cut, or a lone peak Fuzion Ti with the standard fuzions aw mag well.

Has anyone had an action altered from aics/bdl cut machined open for AW mags?

Whole reason, tyring to build a NRL hunter rifle with lightest action possible which can utilize a low profile magazine. Yes aics actions with ARC aics mags are low profile, but those mags can be a problem in incliment weather(I have ARC mags, I know). AW mags have been very good to me in actions cut for them in crap weather and conditions, hence the reason I want to run them. With their low height, they've never been an issue bottoming against props or rocks when shooting positional.
Alpine Cut Fuzion in Ti

They are AWs

Alpine Cut Fuzion in Ti

They are AWs
All info found, and a talk with them stated only aics/bdl in the alpine cut steel and ti.
Screenshot_20240213_030933_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240213_030946_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Boatninja
Dropping a steel LP Fuzion SA Alpine mag BF w/ aluminum tactical knob off @ smith tomorrow, can ask them to weigh it if you'd like. As mentioned, it's not AW cut.

I've seen estimates between 25-28oz for this action, FWIW. I think it might have to do w/ what bolt knob you use

Dropping a steel LP Fuzion SA Alpine mag BF w/ aluminum tactical knob off @ smith tomorrow, can ask them to weigh it if you'd like. As mentioned, it's not AW cut.

I've seen estimates between 25-28oz for this action, FWIW. I think it might have to do w/ what bolt knob you use
Believe I saw one on a scale at 28.5oz in a thread a while back. Unsure on the material of the bolt knob.

Defiance does cut the AntiX action in aw upon special order, these will land around 23oz I believe. Likely the lightest option.

Found the Pic, don't know how accurate the scale is.
Screenshot_20240213_221510_Chrome.jpg

I had an impact titan that was AW cut. split rail weighed 22OZ full rail weighed 24oz

Reactions: 4O6shootist
I had an impact titan that was AW cut. split rail weighed 22OZ full rail weighed 24oz
Good option, but I have saw a lot(or any) of these available for a while. I'll have to ask Tate if they were phased out by the NBK.

Reactions: BigSkyRF
Good option, but I have saw a lot(or any) of these available for a while. I'll have to ask Tate if they were phased out by the NBK.
To my knowledge they were replaced by the NBK. I sold mine actually. I had weird pressure issues with that action. same load in a 737R was water safe. Titan would leave a nasty swipe on it and pop primers when wet. Same speed in both actions obviously, Id look at a AntiX and have it cut for AW. I also thought that LP would make them AW cut... Maybe not?

To my knowledge they were replaced by the NBK. I sold mine actually. I had weird pressure issues with that action. same load in a 737R was water safe. Titan would leave a nasty swipe on it and pop primers when wet. Same speed in both actions obviously, Id look at a AntiX and have it cut for AW. I also thought that LP would make them AW cut... Maybe not?
Called em.......no dice. My smith who's bought a ton of LP actions called and asked, no dice.

I have an NBK for NRLH, but I’m giving up on running AW mags in it. Every once in a while, the rounds will hit the bottom of the feed ramp (vert face) and stop there. I think their feed ramp needs to be cut lower, but that would make it steeper and have more resistance. Runs mint with AI mags though.

Talked to Chad Dixon at LRI this morning, aw cut to an action is totally doable he says.

Reactions: BigSkyRF
I have an NBK for NRLH, but I’m giving up on running AW mags in it. Every once in a while, the rounds will hit the bottom of the feed ramp (vert face) and stop there. I think their feed ramp needs to be cut lower, but that would make it steeper and have more resistance. Runs mint with AI mags though.
What stock or chassis? The mag should sit high enough that the top round ready to be stripped is above the bottom of the feed ramp.

What stock or chassis? The mag should sit high enough that the top round ready to be stripped is above the bottom of the feed ramp.
Grayboe Phoenix (gen1), but the same thing happens with my 737R (cut for AW) in a TCS & ACC Elite, all with the mags nice and snug to the action, with 2 different mags, both 6.5C & 6GT. So it leads me to believe it’s more of a feed ramp geometry issue than a mag/DBM issue. Most of the time the top round is presented to the sloped part of the feed ramp, but if it nose dives, at all, it’s a dead stop.

Grayboe Phoenix (gen1), but the same thing happens with my 737R (cut for AW) in a TCS & ACC Elite, all with the mags nice and snug to the action, with 2 different mags, both 6.5C & 6GT. So it leads me to believe it’s more of a feed ramp geometry issue than a mag/DBM issue. Most of the time the top round is presented to the sloped part of the feed ramp, but if it nose dives, at all, it’s a dead stop.
6gt feeds like shit in an aw mag, unless you run all the rounds as far forward, or use a modified with a thinned out HRD kit. Standard aw mags without tuning the lips are designed for heavy taper 308 cases, so mag lips need some tunging to get it ideal.

Reactions: lash
6gt feeds like shit in an aw mag, unless you run all the rounds as far forward, or use a modified with a thinned out HRD kit. Standard aw mags without tuning the lips are designed for heavy taper 308 cases, so mag lips need some tunging to get it ideal.
Anecdotal evidence, but 6gt feeds very well out of AW mags with my CDG action. The only hangup I've had has been user error (ie not latching the mag completely).

The CDG has three lugs with one lug facing down to help strip the round from the AW magazine.

The only others like this, to my knowledge, are the Aero Solus and AI.

If I wanted to run AW magazines, I would choose one of these three ahead of all others.

-Stan

Anecdotal evidence, but 6gt feeds very well out of AW mags with my CDG action. The only hangup I've had has been user error (ie not latching the mag completely).
I've tried the gt in tuned aw mags in my Lone Peak, Tl3 and ATX, none liked em, unless I pushed em all to the very front. Once I chopped up a HRD kit, it was happy. I never could get 6bra to run worth a crap with hrd kit on the Lone Peak, but 65cm runs like a boss in the aw in that action. I love aw/ax mags if they work reliably with the setup. I have a 6gt CDG barrel coming, so we'll see how it does with the aw. The aw mags have been great with my 6bra and 65cm barrels on the CDG.