• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest scope with Christmas tree reticle?

barrysuperhawk

Proud Member of the WFTDTSG club
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Central Illinois
I am looking for the lightest scope I can find, that meets a couple of criteria. It's pretty ridiculous when my scope feels like it weighs more than the whole rest of the gun, LOL. My basic idea is to make the lightest possible rifle that I can. So, this will be going on a carbon fiber barrel light 10/22 clone. I intend to use it to shoot nrl22 and similar matches so a close parallax (20y would be ideal) and some type of Christmas tree reticle, SCR, EBR, horus etc. that gives me some windage aiming points in addition to drop.

The problem I'm having is that every different manufacturer has their own name and reticle design, and the only Scopes they really feature the weight on are typically designated as hunting Scopes and have terribly simplified reticles. The target Scopes I have experience with are all stupid heavy because they have good glass.

So am I looking for a unicorn, or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Vortex Razor AMG
I have not researched "weights" of scope models but I own one of these and it should fit your requirements.

Reactions: StrayDog
Find a Leupold with MOA tree reticle in it.

You'll have a 30mm tube....and potentially a 40mm objective and target turrets.

My buddy had one. Can't remember if it was a FFP or not. I wanna say it was a 4.5-14x40mm that was just left on 14 all the time.

Was pretty light....

Not sure if a cheap Athlon or Vortex wouldn't be lighter though honestly.

Well, thats why I am posting up here, the discussions of scopes typically run to accurate tracking and MOA vs MIL, and all of the other topics (did you see the new XXX?) and if weight is ever even mentioned its as an aside. Are the Leupold scopes actually light? I had one of their Mk8 1-8's for a while on a 3 gun rifle and it was a BRICK (35mm tube).

Last edited:
Well, thats why I am posting up here, the discussions of scopes typically run to accurate tracking and MOA vs MIL, and all of the other topics (did you see the new XXX?) and if weight is ever even mentioned its as an aside. Are the Leupold scopes actually light? I had one of their 1-8's for a while on a 3 gun rifle and it was a BRICK (35mm tube).
mk5hd in 3.6-18x is listed as 26oz, making it one of the lighter and compact options in the middle tier group.

Leupold Mark 5hd orMark 5 is probably the lightestbut doesn't adjust parallax low enough.

The Vortex PST G2 is fairly lightweight and will parallax to 20yards, or 25yards depending on model.
If you can find a Gen 1 PST with the EBR 2c reticle they are very lightweight but not sure parallax goes down to 20 yards.

I recently got a RT 15 Burris scope.

weighs 23 oz

good
locking knobs
20 yd paralax
scr2 retc
price

bad
retc super thin (which some like)

gl
DT

I shoot field target, which is an air rifle competition at ranges of 10-70 yards. There are specialized scopes designed for shooting at those ranges. I’ve read that most top competitors use high power scopes above 30x at fixed magnification and SFP because at those ranges because you can shoot with both eyes open and let one eye be like a sighting scope that gets you on target. Is there some reason not to look at these scopes for 10/22 rifles competing at similar ranges?

The hawke sidewinder has a tree reticle and it costs less than $700 USD. Weight is 27.3 ounces.

The popular Sightron SIII 10-50x60 is used by a world champ and costs about $1800 for the model with the tree reticle. Weight is 33.5 oz.