• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight hunter.. Tikka T3 Series good option?

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
Looking to get a nice lightweight rifle for some hunting and as always.. I'm sure it will go to the range for some fun shooting too. I was looking to get something around 6.5 lbs or less (w/o optics/mount). Every bolt rifle I have now is over 12lbs and some more..

I came across the Tikka T3 line and like the looks of both the hunter and lite models. I think the wood stock on the hunter looks better and doesn't add much weight, but the syntectic stock of the lite is probably better in wet weather conditions. Any thoughts or feedback on these or other suggestions? Under $600 is where I'd like to stay.

Thanks,
Hawk

Re: Lightweight hunter.. Tikka T3 Series good option?

I REALLY like the Tikka's for hunting rigs. I have owned three T3's. Two Lite models and one Tactical. I have two friends who own or have owned them.

All of them are 1/2", five shots at 100 yard rifles....with quality factory ammo! I was shooting clay pigeons with it a few weeks ago at 500 yards with 50gr Vmax rounds.

I currently am down to just one in .223. It is my main coyote hunting rifle. I just did a bunch of work on it to make it a bit more functional and tacti-cool.

Below is a video of my .223 T3 Lite.

For the price...they are hard to beat for out of the box accuracy. And tthe Lite models with glass will weigh in at less then 10 lbs. My .223 is less then 9 lbs as you see it.

Take care,Stan

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Some pics of my old short barrel T3 Lite in .243 and my .223 Lite:

Had a Big Boar 300 WSM that was more accurate than I, had a very nice trigger and a silky smooth action in a light weight package. Mag's were expensive and it kicked like a mule although the Sims Laboratory recoil pad was a great addition.

Decided I didn't need such a land cannon.

They are hard to beat in that price range. I have the 300 wsm, 300 win mag and the 338 win mag in the t-3 light version. All are very accurate. I just finished an Alaskan safari taking dall sheep, grizzly and caribou using the 338 win mag. It was the best light rifle I have ever hunted with and would recomend it to anyone needing a 800 yard rifle. I used the 185 Barnes ttsx bullet at 3220 fps. It is a pleasure out to about 800 yards. I have a swaro 4-12x50 scope on it and the rig with bipod weighs about 7 1/2 pounds. Pleasure to carry after lugging my heavy long range rifles for years.

I have a McM Sako Hunter stock for the Tikka t3 lite on order, going to probably stick a Tikka .243 barrel/action into it.

I already have the bolt knob and shroud from HSS here in Australia, the prospects of the Roedale or CDI - detach bottom metal and an eventual 1/8 twist barrel make the tikka platform a viable long range lightweight rig.

Rath

Was able to get to one of the local shops today and shoulder a few of the rifles I was researching. Of all I tried/available (Savage 11, Browning x-bolt, Tikka T3 Syntetic) the Tikka felt the best in cycling and shouldering with the Browning second. I still want to try a CZ 527 just to make a final comparison. I also wish I could get my hands on a Tikka Hunter model with the wood stock to see what that feels like too.

I have a t3 in 30-06 that I have used for the last 5 season. Synthetic and SS, it has all been said already, great trigger,smooth action, and lights out accuracy. I love the looks of a nice wood stock but in hindsight am glad I have the synthetic because you never know what mother nature is going to bring, mine has been through snow, sleet, mud, and beat up in the timber. The plus of the wood stock is it may be a bit more rigid. Good Luck with your choice, it is always fun to get a new rifle

My friend has a Tikka t3 and loves it. Great hunting rifle.
+1

Shot this video today. The Tikka's shoot! 6 rounds on 10" steel at 550 yards using factory Black Hills 50gr Vmax ammo.

Take care,Stan

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQlB16d0DA4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQlB16d0DA4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>