• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight hunting build

HenryTheAce

Pushing Tin
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Michigan
Trying to decide on stock or other suggestions. Wanting a lightweight whitetail hunting rig in 6.5 (I’m not a reloader) and shots will be less than 500yds. Thinking of having TS customs build it and here’s what I have in mind so far.

action: LP Fuzion Ti
18” barrel: Bartlein/Proof/Benchmark CF (Travis has Benchmark CF on shelves)
stock: ?? McMillan A3-5? manners EH? Adjustable cheek preferred

I’m thinking 6.5cm but for some reason the 6.5 Grendel interests me. That even do-able in bolt? I know it’s primarily an AR cartridge. Anybody have any similar builds with weight numbers. Trying to stay under 7lbs (minus scope, rings, brake, suppressor, mag)

Last edited:
Here's something similar
Mcmillian with adjustable LOP
ANTi X
16.5" proof 6.5 Prc
There's room to make it even lighter

Attachments

• 20201215_093043.jpg
    20201215_093043.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 244
You should be able to get there easily. Here’s my pile of parts to become a shorter 6.5:
Manners EH-2 elite TAC
Defiance anTi
APA RTG
TT trigger
Bartlein CFW #4 20” finish 8 twist

65ED95EB-F664-40F9-BD21-47D6DAC15853.jpeg

94036402-69A9-4442-A50B-85CE08500A30.jpeg
2DC13F7E-7884-4671-96EA-D19CC82505C1_1_201_a.jpeg

I've posted this in other threads, but here's a recent build I put together with almost exactly your stated intent. Without bipod and scope it's right at 7lbs.

Yes, I know I put a damn 2lb scope on a lightweight rifle... every man has his weaknesses.

Stock - Manners MCS-TA w/ mini-chassis
Action - Zermatt TL-3
Barrel - Proof CF Sendero, 6.5CM 20"
Trigger - Triggertech 2-stage flat

Last edited:
IMO 6.5 Grendel is more work than it's worth in this application, when 6.5 Creedmoor is just plug-and-play.
I’ve been reading there can be some issues in reliability running 6.5 Grendel in a bolt gun.

@White Mamba @XTREM HTR16 @Lazlo beautiful builds. I guess I probably can’t go wrong with either a McMillan or Manners stock. Really like some of the Altus camo prints. I too will be having a weakness and throwing a 2lb Kahles 318i on there so lighter the build the better lol. I think getting down to 6lbs I may have to ditch the adjustable cheek idea it seems

I’ve been reading there can be some issues in reliability running 6.5 Grendel in a bolt gun.

@White Mamba @XTREM HTR16 @Lazlo beautiful builds. I guess I probably can’t go wrong with either a McMillan or Manners stock. Really like some of the Altus camo prints. I too will be having a weakness and throwing a 2lb Kahles 318i on there so lighter the build the better lol. I think getting down to 6lbs I may have to ditch the adjustable cheek idea it seems

That's funny, I was strongly considering the Kahles 318i for this build as well. Ultimately, it was the below thread that persuaded me to the S&B due to the Kahles limited FOV. It just didn't seem right sacrificing FOV on a rifle who's primary use is hunting. Good luck on your decisions.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
CF3DBA25-46E8-44FA-A2C9-491DFD758B58.jpeg

LP Fuzion Ti
Bart 2b 7mm-08 with short shank at 22”
PTG stealth in a McMillan Mountaineer gel coat.

Weighed just north of 6lbs.
I would not do Grendel.

Want a Grendel? Buy a Howa a Mini and suffer the shit mag or go with one of the oregunsmithing bottom metal.

My last build with Travis was titanium lone peak razor long action, 24” proof sendero carbon wrapped barrel, Manners EH-1 with dbm mini chassis, and triggertech.

Those components + 2 flush cups + 20MOA rail + bipod pic rail weighs in at 7 lbs 1oz (no mag).

A s/a Ti Fuzion should be a little lighter or equal in weight with my razor + rail. BDL will be a couple ounces lighter than DBM. You’ll shave weight on a shorter barrel as well. Adjustable cheek piece will add ~1 pound though.

@Lazlo yeah Bill writes great reviews!

@D2junky beauty build, how do you like the Fuzion Ti? Gonna steer clear of 6.5 Grendel

@Secant damn!! 1lb for an adjustable cheek piece. That does not seem worth it to me. That’s a lot to sacrifice. How’re you liking the Fuzion Ti action?

Last edited:
@Lazlo yeah Bill writes great reviews!

@D2junky beauty build, how do you like the Fuzion Ti? Gonna steer clear of 6.5 Grendel

@Secant damn!! 1lb for an adjustable cheek piece. That does not seem worth it to me. That’s a lot to sacrifice. How’re you liking the Fuzion Ti action?
I have a couple razors, not the fuzion. I really like the Lone Peaks though. For a creedmoor hunting rifle, I would save the cost & weight and go with the razor. Plus you could go with direct mount, pinned Hawkins hybrid rings to save a little more weight. The fuzion looks pretty sweet though.

Also, manners has the ultra light check piece that only adds a few ounces as opposed to almost a pound for a “traditional “ adjustable stock. Might be an option.

The Fuzion does look badass but that’s a good point, direct direct mount Hawkins to a razor could shave some weight. I’m really overwhelmed with all the stock options lol, there’s a lot. I have about 10 pages on google open comparing weights and availability.

Serious question. Why pay big money for a rifle that will be heavier than a Kimber mountain ascent in the same caliber? Granted, it will be cooler and likely more accurate, but if you’re keeping the shots within 500, and only using it for hunting, in my mind, the Kimber makes more sense.
It’s a sub 5lb rifle, sans optic.

@svthuh I thought about going factory route, really did honestly.... but I realized this site has made me hate my money and that I have an addiction... I think I need to attend GA (Guns Anonymous)

Reactions: 3-0-hate
The lightest stock option with an adjustable cheek is the All-Composites A5 at ~20oz with the adjustable hardware, but I haven’t seen one in stock anywhere in a hot minute. It’s also ~$2500.

The second lightest is the XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium/Carbon at 28oz and ~$1100.

The AG Composites and Manners options are closer to 40oz with bottom metal and adjustable cheek.

Beyond that, I would encourage looking at the Defiance AnTi - titanium is fine for a hunting rifle that only gets shot a few hundred times, but it’s super prone to lots of impact-related issues and any surface defects make that worse.

As far as the barrel is concerned, go for a left hand gain twist carbon from Bartlein, and use the new barrel steel if you don’t want your great grandkids to need to rebarrel the rifle during their lifetimes =D

I don’t think there’s any reason to go for 6.5G over 6.5CM in a platform other than the AR-15, especially for a hunting rifle. In an AR-15, the grendel is probably the best option for a deer rifle, but once you step into a true short action the creedmoor is not too big for deer and is big enough that elk and black bear are feasible. If you’re lucky enough to get a sheep tag Creedmoor gives you more options for distance at the reduced velocity from temperature.

Last edited:
@gnochi oof, $2500! Interesting reading on the LH Gain Twist. I’m thinking one of the manners EH-A series should be ideal allowing for the contour of a barrel

Last edited:
@khuber84 beautiful! I think that might be the way for me to go, 31oz is awesome! Not worried about tools since it’ll only be me using it but nice to know. Definitely wanting BDL to be lighter and more in stream line/less snagging and quieter. I’ve had some DBM’s rattle and be noisy. Sounds like a beauty build! How’re you liking the Razor-Ti?

I’m trying to stay true to the lightweight. For the past 5yrs I’ve had “lightweight” hunting rifles where I’m alway failing at the lightweight part lol

Have a Razor Ti and a Fuzion Ti. If I do another LW build it’ll be on a Fuzion for the integral rail.

Either way you can mount a lightweight hunting optic low enough to not need an adjustable cheek piece. I prefer the integral rail of the Fuzion, one less group of fasteners to worry about.

Here’s a TC I tried the action cut the barrel to 16.085” and shoots well! Scope and all in this gun less then $500... minus can.

Attachments

• 5BE9A554-6216-4EB8-A970-F409B02EAD8B.jpeg
    5BE9A554-6216-4EB8-A970-F409B02EAD8B.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 71
I'd avoid an adjustable peice if possible. To balance it out you need a heavier barrel. Look at the stocks with high combs instead and then low mounts like arcm10, apas or seekins or leupold backcountry mediums are similiar to talley lows from my understanding

@D2junky the Fuzion does look really nice and better piece of mind with the mounting. Looking online it’s only 3oz heavier then the Razor in the SA versions. Interested in seeing those Hawkins Hybrids directly mounted though and pinned. Seems like it’d be a good fit.

@Jerry D think balance will still be off with a TBAC CB and Ultra 7 hanging off the end?

The cf barrel is like a good sporter weight contour when looking at metal barrels. Youve already made it 18" long instead of 22-24" so figure a muzzle break adds that back. Now your just at standard sporter barrel weight, which to balance, would mean a standard sporter style stock in my opinion. Those adjustable combs just add a lot of weight.

Id avoid the can for hunting because its added weight to carry without much reason to.

If your a stand hunter and not walking much. Then go for it, especially if you enjoy range time as much or more than hunting

Oh, dont do the grendel, its a waste, especially for 500 yards when the creedmoor is a much more suitable option and fits the action properly.

For the stock. Look at the grip thicknesses and how wide the forend is and what your comfortable with.

@Jerry D yeah after reading threads here and on other forums on the Grendel in a bolt action, it seems like issues and I do not want that. Going with 6.5cm

I’m a suppressor addict however lol, my hearing is already bad as it is, don’t want it any worse. Shaving off 6-7oz of barrel and replacing it with a 6oz TBAC was thinking it would balance out. Might not even go with a cheek piece though. Might just take some trial and error on ring height and such to get it the way I want for my chubby cheeks

Reactions: Secant
Have the Hawkins setup on my Razor and still prefer the fusion. I have a 2-10x32 Nightforce with an AG composites privateer and there’s no need for a cheek piece and room to spare for a 50mm objective with a K&P fluted #3 in 7 rem mag.....and yes it’s threaded for suppressor use. With that stock recoil is very tolerable. Haven’t weighed it.

And with the Fuzion and APA aluminum super low rings I’m still lower than the Hawkins setup on the Razor.

@D2junky nice!! That’s solid info. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it. Do you have a gunsmith do your builds or just get prefits from a reputable company like straight jacket armory and piece them together yourself?

I’ve done both. LRI did the Razor. Fuzion was another Smith I won’t name because he did an excellent job with a reasonable wait. Hard to find light contour prefits.

I love the carbon cheek, I have it on two manners stocks as well as two jcs composites stocks(pics of jcs attached). I have sold 3 of 4 my rifles built on ti actions, and the 4th will be going down the road soon. Lone peak runs pretty light springs, that's why they have such light bolt lift. Plus they don't bush their pins on the razor which leads to sharp pins and pierced primers. If I build another true lightweight it'll be on a defiance antiX. Here are a few pics of the carbon cheek. Super easy install.
View attachment 7517619
View attachment 7517620View attachment 7517621
View attachment 7517622

I like!

View attachment 7517080
LP Fuzion Ti
Bart 2b 7mm-08 with short shank at 22”
PTG stealth in a McMillan Mountaineer gel coat.

Weighed just north of 6lbs.
I would not do Grendel.

Want a Grendel? Buy a Howa a Mini and suffer the shit mag or go with one of the oregunsmithing bottom metal.
I’ve done both. LRI did the Razor. Fuzion was another Smith I won’t name because he did an excellent job with a reasonable wait. Hard to find light contour prefits.

Umm, thanks?? 😆😆

• Haha
Reactions: D2junky
That was a great blueprint. There might be lighter stock options but it’s hard to go wrong with McMillan.

I know you said custom and you just have an urge to spend money, but I'm just going to leave this right here for your consideration. Tikka T3x Lite 6.5CM with the barrel cut down to 16.5" and threaded 1/2-28. The scale reads 5# 12.5oz. You would have a LOT of $$$ leftover to spend on glass.

image (1).jpg

I know you said custom and you just have an urge to spend money, but I'm just going to leave this right here for your consideration. Tikka T3x Lite 6.5CM with the barrel cut down to 16.5" and threaded 1/2-28. The scale reads 5# 12.5oz. You would have a LOT of $$$ leftover to spend on glass.

View attachment 7517854
Have stainless Whittaker’s version I’ve been considering doing same. It sits in a McMillan Edge so would be even more better.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
That was a great blueprint. There might be lighter stock options but it’s hard to go wrong with McMillan.
The Privateer will be the default now that I’m almost out of Mountaineers. Just picked up another Mountaineer with a short LOP that will go to #1 daughter for her 18th, just haven’t decided what to stuff in it.

Well..... I went custom route. Decided on my realistic intentions, that I didn’t need ultra light weight like I was originally planning so gave up some in the action and stock. Still should be a handy little whitetail slayer and range plinker.

Having Travis at TS Customs cook me up:
• 18” 6.5cm benchmark CF 1:8 tw
• Lone Peak Fuzion SS
• Manners EH1A highland camo
• Hawkins hunter dbm
• TT Special Pro Curve 2-stage

I ordered a greyboe phoenix. I like adjustable cheek/comb, but the weight of the hardware was just, well, too much to offset. 32oz with adjustable cheek riser, so, we'll see

Sounds like badass rig. Travis does great work! Just curious, why take the 6oz penalty of the eh1a vs having then put the carbon cheek riser on a standard eh1?
Figured since I’m always taking friends/family out shooting/hunting a lot it’d be better to have quick and easy adjustment.

I'll second this, the only problem is the seekins ph2 stocks aren't that great. I'd personally check to see if you could get the barreled action/bottom metal/mag in 6.5 prc and have it installed in an eh1.
Thirds. I recently went through all this and ultimately decided that saving the $1000+ to put towards glass while getting a quality rifle that weighed the same as what I had sketched out for the custom route was worth it. You can even contact them about getting a shorter barrel if the factory available ones are a hang up.

Adjustable cheek piece will add ~1 pound though.
Why? KMW's Loggerhead hdwr used in Manners and which can be put into most composite stocks by Joe Ducos comes in at 5.6 ounces. Remove a bit of the stock, add a bit of Marine-tex and I can't see this feature adding any more than...well, 6 ounces or so.

Am I wrong?

I love the carbon cheek, I have it on two manners stocks as well as two jcs composites stocks(pics of jcs attached). I have sold 3 of 4 my rifles built on ti actions, and the 4th will be going down the road soon. Lone peak runs pretty light springs, that's why they have such light bolt lift. Plus they don't bush their pins on the razor which leads to sharp pins and pierced primers. If I build another true lightweight it'll be on a defiance antiX. Here are a few pics of the carbon cheek. Super easy install.
View attachment 7517619View attachment 7517620View attachment 7517621View attachment 7517622
I didn’t even know that existed. Awesome thanks for sharing

Why? KMW's Loggerhead hdwr used in Manners and which can be put into most composite stocks by Joe Ducos comes in at 5.6 ounces. Remove a bit of the stock, add a bit of Marine-tex and I can't see this feature adding any more than...well, 6 ounces or so.

Am I wrong?
1609875411761.png

IMG_2664.jpg

Kimber Montana .308
21" barrel + brake
Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36mm
Talley Lightweight rings

Sure is nice to carry in the mountains, but I have a hard time keeping under 2 MOA past 300 yard. Doesn't really matter though, I don't really want to shoot past 300 yards with an 8x scope with a duplex reticle and capped turrets.

View attachment 7517854
... and if you don't happen to like the stock (looks boring, or whatever) there's lots of aftermarket options. The E-Lite from PSE Composites might appeal for a lightweight solution.

View attachment 7517854

This is what I'd do too!
If you wanted to zhuzh it up you could put it in a manners stock.

A set of talley lightweight rings and a suitable scope and you're set.

Reactions: drew_235
Well, I don't know what they are doing to account for the other 12 oz.

Cheers

the stocks are hollow so they have to fill the voids and then they epoxy the loggerhead in. I installed one in a standard weight HS precision stock and found myself adding basically the same weight that you see from the manners install so I believe it.

I filled the cavity with open cell foam(closed would've been nicer but that doesn't come in a rattle can) then epoxied the loggerhead in with plenty of microballoons to make the epoxy lighter and thicker to keep it only where i wanted it. After all was said and done I think it would take a very practiced installer to have a finished install at the advertised weight on the lighter weight stocks because of the thinner wall and larger void to fill.

Reactions: Baron23