• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight hunting scope

Trojan6

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
Georgetown, Texas, USA
Folks,

Looking for some input to help out a hunting buddy purchase a HUNTING scope. He's doing a similar lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 build to my own. I chose the Burris XTR2 2-10 SCR MOA and have been happy with it so far. He prefers a horus style reticle.
Looking for input to make sure I'm not missing available options out there.
Prefers Horus style reticle, doesn't like to dial elevation or wind.
Price preferably under $2k.
Use is pigs, deer, and coyotes as well as steel out to 600m. Won't be realistically shooting farther than this other than for shits and giggles.
High preference to lower weight, definitely under 22 oz if possible, 16oz would be better.
Illumination preferred but not a show stopper.
I think MOA would be better for him, but matching MIL-MIL ok if price is right.
I'm thinking the VX-6HD might be best for him, he's found some good deals on some Mark6's and is leaning towards them, but I'm thinking it's too much scope for him.
Don't think more than 15x is needed. Think 2-10, 3-12, 3-15, or 4-16 would be more than adequate.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I'd say take a look at the Leupold VX6 hd with the Impact 29 or 23 reticle. Some guys don't care for the Leupold turrets but I've only seen them perform well on the VX6.

I've done a lot of looking for scopes that fit this description. I think the leupold vx6 HD might be the only one that checks all the right boxes. High quality, feature packed scopes aren't usually light weight. The Bushnell lrhs is close too.

March SFP 1-10x and 2.5-25x, FFP-3-24x-lightweight.

Folks,

Looking for some input to help out a hunting buddy purchase a HUNTING scope. He's doing a similar lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 build to my own. I chose the Burris XTR2 2-10 SCR MOA and have been happy with it so far. He prefers a horus style reticle.
Looking for input to make sure I'm not missing available options out there.
Prefers Horus style reticle, doesn't like to dial elevation or wind.
Price preferably under $2k.
Use is pigs, deer, and coyotes as well as steel out to 600m. Won't be realistically shooting farther than this other than for shits and giggles.
High preference to lower weight, definitely under 22 oz if possible, 16oz would be better.
Illumination preferred but not a show stopper.
I think MOA would be better for him, but matching MIL-MIL ok if price is right.
I'm thinking the VX-6HD might be best for him, he's found some good deals on some Mark6's and is leaning towards them, but I'm thinking it's too much scope for him.
Don't think more than 15x is needed. Think 2-10, 3-12, 3-15, or 4-16 would be more than adequate.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Vortex Razor HD Lightweight Hunter 3-15x. 16.5oz and a couple of different reticles. I went with the G4BDC one myself.

I’ve been eyeballing the new whiskey 5 2-10x42mm with moa reticle from Sig Sauer for my SPR. It has some very nice features and would make an excellent lightweight hunting scope as it comes in at 21 ounces.

If you want a Horus style reticle, you best choice is Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44. I have been testing one with Impact 29 reticle and it is an exceedingly nice design.

If you are OK with SFP reticle, I like it more than the Mark 6.

ILya

So there is a way to search scopes by weight and what not. Link at the bottom of this post should take you to something semi-appropriate. Sorry, horus reticles isn't a search option. Everyone calls the silly things something different in their marketing materials. Click 'weight' on the result header and it'll sort them by weight for you. I know it's not perfect, but at least it's a list.

link