• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight Mil/ Mil scope options

BlastersAreCool

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2018
Michigan
Hey all, I can't be the only person interested in a lightweight (16-26 oz) Mil/ mil scope out there. I've searched the long range hunting forums, mountain hunting, and here and seem to come up empty handed. So here is the meat and potatoes behind the question. I am looking for a scope for an UL build I am working on. I will be 80% competing in matches like the Purgatory, Sniper Adventure, and Mammoth sniper challenge. the other 20% would be for mid range mulie/ elk hunts.
The gun build:

Trued up factory Remi 700 action
proof research 20" 6.5 creed CF w/ zero delta brake
pillar/ glass bedded Manners EH1
Shilen trigger (possible upgrade to TT Diamond)

The scope options desired:

FFP
MIL/MIL
30mm preferred or 34mm if overall still light
3-18ish for balance in competing AND hunting...2-10x is light for a poke in a match I feel

Any suggestions/ guidance open and welcomed, Thanks!

March - 3-24 x 42 is 21.5 ounces, but well over your price range. keep an eye out for a used one.

Burris Veracity 3-15 x 50 is 25 ounces, and well under. meets the rest of your specs.

pony up or catch a sale, Vortex AMG 6-24. ticks all the boxes, great scope, light for what you're getting. I have one and it's easily as good or better glass than my gen2 razor. That would be my first choice. with a 20moa rail, I've got 20mil up remaining zeroed at 100yds.

Reactions: BlastersAreCool
The Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 is a hair under 30oz. Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is another nice option but limited reticles and 35mm tube might detract. Check out the Vortex 3-15x44, great glass, decent reticle, great price. Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44 another nice option.

The FFP requirement takes out many of the lighter scopes since FFP tends to weigh more ...

I just got the NF NXS 2.5-10x MIL-R at 20.5 oz ...

47578950961_409fa7292f_k.jpg

It checks all the boxes except FFP, but that gives it a lighter weight.

• Wow
The FFP requirement takes out many of the lighter scopes since FFP tends to weigh more ...

I just got the NF NXS 2.5-10x MIL-R at 20.5 oz ...

47578950961_409fa7292f_k.jpg

It checks all the boxes except FFP, but that gives it a lighter weight.
You went and named the only scope that the OP said was a no-go in his post.

My choice for my SAC rifle. It's not perfect, but it's more than good enough for that event, and it's very light. Glass is decent and it tracks well. No zero stop tripped me up at the last event. I packed the rifle internally and the turret got moved exactly 1/2 rev. I guessed which way to go and managed to guess correctly, so no harm other than some unnecessary stress. Parallax on the objective is again not ideal, but did I mention it's light? 15oz.

$1500 upper price and 27 oz upper weight limit the options somewhat.

In terms of bang for the buck, Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x44 Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44 should probably be at the top of your list.

If you manage to find Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 within your price range, that would be a good option, but I doubt you can find an illuminated one for $1500.

Sig Tango6 3-18x44 can be found for a good price, but is well above your weight budget.

Tangent Theta TT315M and Vortex AMG 6-24x50 are probably the best scopes of this type available now, but their are way above your price range.

ILya

on another note, the SWFA SS 3-15 may be a choice, you can retrofit zero stop, very reliable and well built. they come in well below the price point also. The reticle leaves a little to be desired though

Reactions: hughmac4
Since you did not mention illuminated reticle... Mark6 HD3-18×44 non-illuminated for 34mm tube or Mark5 3.6-18×44 HD 35mm tube with or without illumination. For less than half your budget, Nikon FX1000 4-16×50 FFP illuminated with 30mm tube. I have the Nikon I am dumping because the windage knob is too long to work with a 45 degree MRD. Not a bad scope otherwise.

I have a Leupold MK6 3-18 on a lightweight rifle and I am a big fan of it.

I think given your parameters the Bushnell LRHS would be a good choice.
If you can squeeze a little more out of your budget the NF 4-16 ATACR or Leupold MK 5 would be my choices

Guys thanks for the guidance almost all of the scopes mentioned I had not considered (less vortex). I am definitely asking a LOT when it comes to what I'm looking for... clearly a FFP in the medium magnification range is gonna be hefty whether I like it or not...

That’s the exact glass I have waiting to slap on my long Range hunter rig when it gets back from my gunsmith. I looked for months and landed with the VX6HD. I’d rather have mils, but couldn’t find one I liked in a lightweight option.

Went through the same lately for my hunting gun.
I’m liking the the FX1000 4-16 illum I wound up with. If I didn’t come across the FX for a great deal, the Bushnell LRHSi was gonna be what I got.

I found what I believe is the one. Has anybody used this optic? It comes in at 20.3oz and is sub $1,000 on the market w/ TMR or CCH mil reticle

While were on this subject, I'm psudo hijacking my post quick on scope mount/ rings...whats on the lighter side to mount a scope?? 20 moa cant needed too. UL rings/ base or direct mount onto action possible? (Skip a picatinny base to shave weight)... Idk if a 20moa lightweight direct-to-action mount exists even...nothing out there that Ive seen...

Still waiting for MAVEN to come out with a MIL/MIL version. I have emailed them more than once about it and so far nothing.

$1500 upper price and 27 oz upper weight limit the options somewhat.

In terms of bang for the buck, Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x44 Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44 should probably be at the top of your list.

If you manage to find Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 within your price range, that would be a good option, but I doubt you can find an illuminated one for $1500.

Sig Tango6 3-18x44 can be found for a good price, but is well above your weight budget.

Tangent Theta TT315M and Vortex AMG 6-24x50 are probably the best scopes of this type available now, but their are way above your price range.

ILya
I have the TT315M and it is as sweet as it gets,Im also thinking of getting the AMG for a long range rimfire build.I know both these scope are out of your price range but like Ilya said they are probably the best in this type.

While were on this subject, I'm psudo hijacking my post quick on scope mount/ rings...whats on the lighter side to mount a scope?? 20 moa cant needed too. UL rings/ base or direct mount onto action possible? (Skip a picatinny base to shave weight)... Idk if a 20moa lightweight direct-to-action mount exists even...nothing out there that Ive seen...
Nightforce direct mounts are 20moa but 30mm only.