• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight QD Mount for a SCAR 17s?

Potss

Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Looking to mount a Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x on a SCAR 17s. I need a QD mount for it. I was going to get a Scalarworks, but was told by a member on here that they may slip on a .308. Not sure if this is the case, but either way if there are alternatives for relatively lightweight QD mounts that can stand up to a SCAR17s, I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks!

Lightweight? Heh, give up on that one. Bobro mount if you want QD, no cantilever. I've got one on my 17 which I shot 308 for quite some time, and now have converted to 6.5 CM. No issues at all. Had lots of issue with multiple previous high $$ mounts.

Don't have any experience with any other QD mounts but +1 for the MI. Just put a Viper PST Gen II 1-6x in one. Can adjust in small increments, no tools necessary, very solid lockup.

i really like my American Defense Manufacturing QD mount, works great on my .308

Thanks for the recommendations, I forgot all about MI.

I've read a lot of comments stating that rings/mounts shouldn't close sideways for a number of reasons, so with that in mind we have (from heaviest to lightest):

1.) Sphur at approximately 9.5oz and $400.

2.) MI at approximately 7.8oz and $180.

3.) Bobro at approximately 7.7oz and $240.

4.) Larue at approximately 7.4oz and $250.

5.) Zro Delta (formerly Alamo 4star?) at approximately 7.1oz and $250.

6.) GG&G at approximately 6oz and $200.

Everything else (like GDI) is heavier. I say approximately because depending on exactly which version and where/when I buy, weight/prices vary slightly. Looking at that list, I'm very tempted to get the GG&G but I can find very little information on it and I'm worried about it holding up to SCAR recoil. Additionally I'm very tempted to get the new ADM titanium recon mount here which they claim will be around 5.5oz and have more clamping force than aluminium mounts, but it is still side-clamping. Discounting those it looks like the Zro Delta would be the winner.

Lastly there were some tests (done by RECOIL) with 5.56 that showed the Bobro and Alamo 4star (now Zro Delta?) doing the best, but in the same thread folks reported issues with the Bobro's wearing over time.

Any and all input still welcome, I could very well still be forgetting some and/or be wrong in some of my assumptions.

Last edited:
I’ve had excellent luck with my LaRues and Bobros. They return to zero well enough for my needs (mainly on my hunting or short range rifles). They have held up well.

Why QD? If you have to have QD, I recommend Bobro.

While that looks interesting, have you guys considered moving away from vertically split rings? The OP specifically said he is avoiding ADM for that reason and I know thats why I didn't choose ADM. Even if its just voodoo BS, I won't even give it a shot after seeing the reported issues here.

Why QD? If you have to have QD, I recommend Bobro.

While that looks interesting, have you guys considered moving away from vertically split rings? The OP specifically said he is avoiding ADM for that reason and I know thats why I didn't choose ADM. Even if its just voodoo BS, I won't even give it a shot after seeing the reported issues here.

I only brought this up because it's supposed to be super light.

I prefer the NF Unimounts, which are about 5 1/2 ounces.

Reactions: SRPowah
Yeah @Lowlight has said on multiple occasions that side clamping isn't up to par, and I tend to take his word on these things considering the vast amount more time/money/XP he has with them. Would be nice to see some legit testing but for now I'll take reliable anecdotes. Maybe the TI on the new ADM changes the equation due to the extra clamping force, maybe not.

I too like the NF Unimounts, but since I haven't wont the lotto yet I have to swap my nice optics between different rifles and re-torquing a few times per range trip gets old fast, hence my desire to finally move to QD.

At this point it looks like Zro Delta is the best option (if only by .3oz) but I'd still love to hear from end users about any/all of these mounts!

Just use high rings. The scar doesn’t need a cantilever rail and is supposedly easier on optics without that type mount.

It saves you weight and qd is mostly over rated unless your talking clip on nv which is all qd already