• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes lightweight tac/hunter scope options

Captramrod01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Well as the wait continues for my manners stock I have been trying to piece everything else together for my "lightweight" tac hunter build. The build so far: manners t2 with mini chassis and carbon shell, brux medium palma fluted for 26" finish, and a long action 700 (planning on it being a 284), NF 2 piece 20 moa base with NF ultra light rings.

I have a SS 5-20 right now but was thinking about going Premier light tactical to save the 6 oz or so. Is this my only option if I want to save a little weight? It must be mil/mil and FFP is a major plus but I guess not a requirement. Also any input for a better set of lightweight rings and base would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Re: lightweight tac/hunter scope options

Ya I was looking at the murphy base and rings. Still trying to decide if I can stomach the price.

Sorry, but I fail to see the wisdom in spending an additional $2500 to save 6oz while losing substantial magnification and elevation in the process...that just doesn't sound like a reasonable trade-off to me.

Personally, I would look to find substantially more weight savings in a lighter stock and a light Palma barrel.

You could look to Seekins for a mounting solution.

Depending on your intended uses, caliber choice might be another topic for another day.

TC

It would be more like an additional 1k because I would be selling the SS and would try to buy the Premier used. I know 6 oz savings sounds like splitting hairs but this will be my only setup for the next 2 years as I finish school and I want it as dual purpose as possible as our hunts can include a lot of hiking.

I am also putting together a lightweight build. Manners T5 with a carbon fiber shell, X-treme Shooting action and the Premier LT with Seekins rings.

i would stick with the ss , they are durable as hell.

Building a dual purpose rifle requires compromise, because the two disciplines have different optimal platforms.

General hunting scenarios are not that demanding, so a Tactical Rifle, as generally built, is over-capable for most hunting situations.

Some guys like to hunt with their TAC rifles anyway and end up accepting the extra carry weight, but a rifle doesn't have to be heavy to shoot well with a good quality barrel.

Shooters with less experience find heavier rifles easier to shoot consistently at long range, but at some point, long range success isn't about how heavy that rifle you're carrying is.

Some very accurate rifles are surprisingly light. Hunters are carrying 6# rifles with 12oz 6x fixed power scopes and finding them to be very capable with consistent Sub MOA accuracy at long range.

In the hunting fields, most shots are still under 200yds, and 400-500yds qualifies as a long range shot, but taking game out past 600-800yds is not unheard of these days for an experienced, qualified shooter with the right bullet/load combo in a lighter rifle.

Long range success comes from plenty of trigger time, good quality ammo, and an understanding of ballistics and wind, but not necessarily in that order.

I would rather end up owning two rifles that suited their respective purposes well, rather than a single rifle that was not well suited for any purpose, and accomplishing that doesn't necessarily have to cost more.

The new Ruger rifle looks to be very light and accurate, for a $300 street price, but any decent factory rifle with a light hunting scope will end up somewhere around 7-8# carry weight, and could easily be put together for $600 for a dedicated hunting tool.

Just my thoughts...

TC

The S&B would be nice its a little out of my price range though.

Top Cat you do have a point. The 1k it would take me to change my optics out for something lighter could easily buy me a nice hunting setup with a half decent scope. Thanks for pulling my head out of my ass lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captramrod01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S&B would be nice its a little out of my price range though.

Top Cat you do have a point. The 1k it would take me to change my optics out for something lighter could easily buy me a nice hunting setup with a half decent scope. Thanks for pulling my head out of my ass lol. </div></div>

Yeah...being a firearms junkie is tough enough these days with all the great toys we have at our disposal, it's not difficult to have the right tool for the job, rather than having to live with compromises.

The most important tool we gain from all this is knowledge, and a shooter armed with that can make anything work, especially when money is short.

I've been there.

TC