• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lilely getting a Kestrel 5700 in 4DOF

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
It seems the Hornady 4DOF ballistics "engine" is a bit more accurate than the Applied Ballistics engine in that Hornady has used Doppler radar on all the bullets in their engine, and that includes bullets from some obscure and custom makers. I trust Kestrel's environmental sensors more than those on most rangefinders.

Yeah, one must shoot at least 1,000 yards to notice much of a difference between the two. But at transonic and subsonic speeds I've read the differences really show.

I'll use my Magnetospeed V3 for obtaining muzzle velocities to load in the Kestrel 5700. Should be plenty accurate.

Anyone with experience using both engines with a Kestrel?

Eric B.

Well I do know that applied ballistics literally has a mobile doppler lab that travels around the country and can give you your own personal bullet's curve.

There's no difference. They're both using Doppler for the curves. You're reading too much and shooting too little. The AB library dwarfs the Hornady and AB was doing it long before Hornady started.

Not saying one is better than the other, the opposite, they're probably closer than you can shoot the difference. Pick the model that has a CDM or 4DOF profile for your bullet and call it a day.

Reactions: EN2722
Um... Bryan Litz is the developer for the Applied Ballistic. In terms of Ballistics, he's probably one of the smartest on the planet. I'd definitely take his "word" over a manufactures "claims" every day of the week.

Andrew