• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lilja 308 barrel?

CKJ

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2014
Hello,

I'm new to the site but not new to building guns. I'm in the process of building a AR10 in 308 and was looking people with experience with Lilja drop-in AR10 barrels. Specifically, accuracy results. People say good things about Lilja but I've yet to read anything substantial about how accurate they are. I'm looking for a barrel that is better then moa... say, .5moa. Will Lilja deliver this in a drop-in? I don't believe Lilja will match their barrel to your bolt like some companies do. Is this correct or will they do this on request?

Other barrels I've considered are the Rainier Arms Ultramatch and JPE Supermatch. I've had experience with Rainier and their UM M4 barrels are great. I haven't read many reveiws about their 308 barrels tho.

I appreciate any feedback based on actual experiences with these brands. Thanks!

The barrels shoot well but you may want to consider...

Lilja uses a roll pin instead of a hardened dowel for the index pin on the barrel extension, the barrel extensions are machined not broached and the gas ports are WAY to big so be prepared to use an adjustable gas block.

The barrels shoot well but you may want to consider...

Lilja uses a roll pin instead of a hardened dowel for the index pin on the barrel extension, the barrel extensions are machined not broached and the gas ports are WAY to big so be prepared to use an adjustable gas block.

I'm not too concerned about the roll pin vs. dowel. Once everything is tightened down (plus Locktite) I don't see a roll pin shearing off. Flame on if you want too- I use LT on all precision builds, even with the tightest fits. Whether it helps accuracy or not, the barrel gets literally locked in place, hard to argue against this.

I also use adjustable gas blocks on nearly every build I do.

What is the difference between a broached barrel ext. vs. machined? I thought all BE are machined.

What brand would you run to exactly and why? Experience?

Those are some awesome groups. What profile barrel?

What is the difference between a broached barrel ext. vs. machined? I thought all BE are machined.

Machined yes but a different process. The broach makes a square passage for the bolt lugs in the receiver extension. Lilja uses an end mill to make a plunge cut and then side cuts the rest of the passage which removes more material than needed. He's also making the barrel extension out of 416 instead of ordnance steel.

Barrel Extension Broach-v-End Mill-Model.jpg

Black Area = Bolt Lug

Line = Passage Profile

Machined yes but a different process. The broach makes a square passage for the bolt lugs in the receiver extension. Lilja uses an end mill to make a plunge cut and then side cuts the rest of the passage which removes more material than needed. He's also making the barrel extension out of 416 instead of ordnance steel.

View attachment 42371

Black Area = Bolt Lug

Line = Passage Profile

Has all these differences been shown to cause issues, i.e. stress cracks, wear, breakage? If so, this seems like an odd way to fabricate "high end" barrels.

Are these barrel worth getting? Was thinking of getting one but for $500 should I be looking at something else. At $300 how are the mega arms?

I run a Lilja 24" non fluted .308 barrel in a Mega Maten reciever with a very snug fit. It shoots .5 moa out to 600 yards which is the max distance I have shot it with my handloads (168 and 175 Smk). On a good day with calm conditions I have achieved a bit less than .5 moa. I use a JP bolt with no problems.

Has all these differences been shown to cause issues, i.e. stress cracks, wear, breakage? If so, this seems like an odd way to fabricate "high end" barrels.

Not that I'm aware of. I doubt he has sold enough of them for a decent sample size though. The one I bought shot lights out but so did a Rainier Arms Select barrel at half the price.

ETA: If I were going to spend 5 large on a barrel, I'd be looking at something a lot less anemic than a 308... Just saying'...

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I picked up my .260 barrel from him at $325 by calling direct. Nice dude. If the .308 is that much more expensive, id go the Rainier route too. Perhaps the stars just aligned for me though..