• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lilja 3R Rifled ?

Hewie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2013
Western Australia
Gday Everyone,

Im looking to replace the stock varmint barrel on my Rem 700 223 with something that is going to be more accurate. Im planning it on running 1:7 twist.

I spoke to my local gunsmith today with the idea of getting it in 5R but he has recommended a Lilja 28' with 3R(?) or 3 groove rifling.

Im just not sure about the 3 groove and thought Id see if anyone has any input or thoughts on how it would perform ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

H

Last edited:
I shoot an AR in service rifle cross course matches. I have used a White Oak upper for the last 4 years, don't shoot a lot, local club only. Last year at Perry I bought a Lilja 3 groove 8 twist and put it on over the winter. I shoot 69 smk's at 2 and 3 and 80 gr smk's at 600 and I do not see any difference in the accurate. The White Oak had a 7 twist barrel. I know his 3 groove rimfire barrels are some of the best. MTCW

I have a poly 3 barrel with a 8 twist made by Blackhole Weaponry, and it shoots great. I'm sure Lilja will shoot just as good if not better I don't think you will be disappointed.

3 groves are hard on Hornady bullets if that was what you were going to shoot. They like to come apart. I would also look elsewhere. You might get a good barrel. Hope you don't have any problems with it.

3 groves are hard on Hornady bullets if that was what you were going to shoot. They like to come apart. I would also look elsewhere. You might get a good barrel. Hope you don't have any problems with it.

I take it by that you mean they spin the jacket off in the barrel ?

I was planning on using Lapua Scenar L and Bergers .... thoughts ?

I have not personally seen this in my barrel, but I run a 1-8 twist. I suppose a faster twist could cause some of what you are seeing. But I also run a 1-8 in my 308 barrels as well with really good results.

The jackets on the A-MAX are thin. 6mm have been the worst. If you try to push them fast they come apart. Call Hornady and ask. It is a known problem.

And Dan at Lilja is not the nicest person to deal with if you have a problem. It will always be your smiths fault and not his barrel.

I have an 8 twist 3 groove in 6.5. I push 142 sierras 3200fps and haven't had any issues with them blowing up.

The jackets on the A-MAX are thin. 6mm have been the worst. If you try to push them fast they come apart. Call Hornady and ask. It is a known problem.

And Dan at Lilja is not the nicest person to deal with if you have a problem. It will always be your smiths fault and not his barrel.

I have heard that the Hornadys jackets are quite thin from my smith down here.

Has you had the same problem with any other brands ?

Boy Ive shot 600+ hornadys through mine, under 1/4moa and the seem to hod together good on impact, shot 15 cototes with it last winter. Not saying you didn't have a problem, some combos just wont work. It wasn't a .246 bore was it? or light bullets in a fast twist?