• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lilja barrel break-in?

Ksgunguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2013
Hi all I just received my 308AR barrel from Lilja. I looked on the website and it says it was hand lapped, but I was given break-in instructions?

I thought that if a barrel is hand lapped you do not have to break it in?

People that have a Lilja barrels what do you guys do?

On my Lilja I just ran 5 shots, wiped the barrel w/a cloth, ran 5, wiped and haven't looked back.
I don't believe in "breaking BS" myself I just load & shoot & never had an issue with any brand, lapped or not.

I did the break in cause I spent $600 on a barrel.and didn't want to f it up

I didn't do a break in cause I spent $550 on a barrel and didn't want to f it up.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I have a Lilja barrel in .308 and followed their instructions. Was laborious but OK, if I have issues 500 rounds from now, it's not because I didn't follow their instructions.

Dan emailed me back and will follow his instructions since I did spend $500

Everyone has an opinion when it comes to breaking in barrels. I have talked to people who directly make rifle barrels and they all told me the same thing, there is no need for breaking in barrels. This barrel break in deal is to bring peace of mind to the owner more than anything else. It is a fact that more barrels are damaged from cleaning than anything else, so if it makes you feel better then do it but there is no need. IMO

I cringed when I saw the instructions with my barrels -- it's been years since I've done barrel break in that way. But I trust Dans product so I followed his instructions. Just picked a nice day and fire formed some brass while I was at it.

Both barrels shoots lights out . . . Got no complaints.

The main reason for this is to polish the throat when the reamer cut the chamber, the rest of the barrel is polished during the hand lapping process, but that wont prevent the copper wash from the chamber being cut until it gets polished from firing the gun.

The only thing I would do is initially clean it to make sure all the tooling grime/crap is out of the barrel if there is any and inspect it to make sure there is no gas port bur, then just fucking shoot it.

I used to be a firm believer in break in procedures and religious cleanings.....my own nonscientific testing showed me I was wasting my time.

Yea, I'm leaning to just giving a quick clean to get rid of the chemicals in the barrel and shooting it, does anyone put Rem oil in there barrel?

I break barrels in by shooting the piss out of them. I've got a factory 243 barrel for my DTA that is on 1000 rounds and still hammers with sub half moa authority.

I clean it lightly every 300 or so rounds once I notice accuracy fading. Most of the time I just use a bore snake.

I don't waste time cleaning barrels any more than I have to.

Last edited:
^^^^ Totally agree. I only clean every 300 rounds or so when accuracy starts to fade. Cleaning damages many more barrels than shooting!

The main reason for this is to polish the throat when the reamer cut the chamber, the rest of the barrel is polished during the hand lapping process, but that wont prevent the copper wash from the chamber being cut until it gets polished from firing the gun.

What he said.

David Tubb says the exact same thing on the first page in his barrel break-in tutorial here:

http://www.davidtubb.com/store/cata...roduct_information/ff_loaded_instructions.pdf

Rather than Tubb's "Final Finish", I use this:

KG-2 Bore Polish: Metal Protective Coating | Firearm Lubricants | Industrial Coatings

Applied vigorously in the throat plus a couple dozen strokes through the bore on these:

WEAPONS CARE SYSTEM PELLETS | Brownells

With a hand lapped barrel, I just wipe clean with KG-3, apply a single patch oiled with KG-4, wipe clean with a dry patch, and shoot. Break in is done. I repeat at 100 rounds and every 200 past that. In between, I just clean out the carbon with KG-1 as needed.

If you do not have access to a borescope, you are just guessing at what's going on in your barrel. Of course, sometimes it's better not to know …..