• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft List of common object sizes for mil dot ranging?

BruceN

Curmudgeon in Training
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2008
Northern Wyoming
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know if there is some kind of list or table available with sizes of lots of different common objects? Trying to work on my mil dot ranging, not having much luck with a web search and too lazy to run around sticking a tape measure on everything I see.
smile.gif
Thanks!

Re: List of common object sizes for mil dot ranging?

there is a HUGE post on here somewhere with ALL sorts of awesome information. Probably one of the best post's on the hide. It talks about common sizes as far as street signs, car windows, doors, tailgates...all sorts of stuff that you can range off of. I just looked and couldnt find it. Use the search function on the right side -- >

I thought i had it linked but must not have, definately need to find that post again...

One item sometimes overlooked and can be found almost anywhere is the power/telephone pole. The vast majority of poles with high voltage on them are 40ft. in length, but are buried 6ft. in the ground, leaving 34 ft. above ground. You can identify ones with high voltage if they have transformers on them. If it is a pole with only a service cable going to a house it is usually 30ft. in length, buried 5ft. in the ground leaving 25 ft. above ground. A standard wooden crossarm is 8ft. in length. This knowledge can be helpfull in most rural and suburban areas.

For the hunters using Mil Dots.

Antelope 14.5 inches
Deer 17-18 inches
Elk 24-26 inches

I ranged several with the Mil dot followed up with a laser range finder

Those numbers are pretty damn accurate.

For us metric folks, the best thing to range is a door. It is so close to 2m in height it's not funny. US and Europe. In the us its 80 inches (78 is 1m). However, the overlap at the top usually takes this up. If your error were 2" it would be 15m at 1km of variance.

Found these in another thread. I was looking for copies of the reference pages my Magpul data book, but these look pretty close from what I can remember.

Ranging reference card pg 1.jpg

Sorry, the page keeps freezing when I try to upload the second page, but there's only a few items on pg 2, so this should at least help a little while I try to get the other one up.

Last edited:
Reactions: adioguy11