• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lite bipods

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
I have been looking around for lite bipods. I don't see a lot that weight less than the Harris or Atlas. The Javalin is really light and pretty pricey. The Magpul ultralight I see advertised at 8oz which would would shave 5oz off the Harris or Atlas, but it only goes up to 10in. I can almost never get prone when hunting, but I just can't go without a bipod just in case.

I have been looking around for lite bipods. I don't see a lot that weight less than the Harris or Atlas. The Javalin is really light and pretty pricey. The Magpul ultralight I see advertised at 8oz which would would shave 5oz off the Harris or Atlas, but it only goes up to 10in. I can almost never get prone when hunting, but I just can't go without a bipod just in case.

The Tier One carbon is pretty light weight but very rigid. It's the lightest one I've found that is rigid enough for me.

Reactions: Bakwa

Hatch bipods. Light rugged easy on and off pic rail.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
That's pretty much what an Atlas or harris weigh. A little over 13oz. That's where most of them I find seem to sit. Besides the javelin and magpul.

That's pretty much what an Atlas or harris weigh. A little over 13oz. That's where most of them I find seem to sit. Besides the javelin and magpul.
Yeah but the tactical tier one is lighter and it's very rigid. I wouldn't really compare the Harris to it honestly. The Atlas is about the same in terms of rigidity but it's more bulky

Yeah but the tactical tier one is lighter and it's very rigid. I wouldn't really compare the Harris to it honestly. The Atlas is about the same in terms of rigidity but it's more bulky
To save 1oz over the Atlas or harris while loosing 3 inches of leg that would be an easy choice for me. Now if it is closer to 8oz like the magpul that would make it much more compelling to me.

For me trading weight for rigidity I am probably going to lean more toward weight savings.

Check out the Rugged Ridge bipod, fantastic.
GEN2Bipod.png

Does anyone have experience with these bipods? I'm looking for another bipod myself and stumbled across these.

Does anyone have experience with these bipods? I'm looking for another bipod myself and stumbled across these.

those look interesting

screw the pan

i wanna know if the cant (and because they all have pan) can be locked down like an atlas.

I have the MTNGear Backcountry model. You can NOT lock out the pan or cant function.
That's pretty disappointing as from the few videos it seems a bit too loose for what I'd want it for

Otherwise it seems like a pretty good substitute for a double pull at half the cost and 1/3 the weight

Reactions: kabarNC
i have a gg&g bipod that is pretty light (haven't weighed but easily below harris), but doesn't go very tall and no real pan or tilt options.

The MTN mountain looks pretty good.

Mountain bipod:

• 70 degree cant each way and up to 360 degree pan.
  • Carbon fibre legs which are adjustable from the top of the legs.
  • Quick attachment and detachment using secure universal picatinny rail system that will work with future MTNGear products.
  • Legs adjust outwards and forwards for increased high adjustment and usage in even the steepest of terrain.
  • Height adjustment from 8cm (4") to 40cm (15.7"). Measured as the height from the ground to bottom of picatinny rail.
  • 140 grams (5oz).
I like the attachment method for the javelin. It takes the weight complete off your sling, but also give you something else to carry around and keep track of.

Anyone messed with or know the weight for the Caldwell accumax?

I was in this boat as well and got a backlanz bipod. Pretty sure it’s the lightest on the market

I was in this boat as well and got a backlanz bipod. Pretty sure it’s the lightest on the market
even the MTN Mountain is lighter by over an ounce and has way more adjustability

i'll def be snagging a MTN Mountain. little worried about the stiffness of cant/pan but otherwise it looks like it checks a boatload of boxes

Dang man, that looks really awesome for a hunting bipod. Wish they had a mount system that would allow for pic rail or arca pieces to go on there but for only hunting that looks like the best

Link for the lazy

Reactions: Lucreau
even the MTN Mountain is lighter by over an ounce and has way more adjustability

i'll def be snagging a MTN Mountain. little worried about the stiffness of cant/pan but otherwise it looks like it checks a boatload of boxes
Looks like a half ounce to me. The MTN doesn't look as stable to me for some reason?

Reactions: b6graham
Cost to weight ratio seems to give a big nod to the MOE bipod. Just ordered one for $67 to try out. I also usually only shoot off my tripod hunting but like to be able to set my rifle down on a bipod if needed.

How stable is it given you can't lock out the pan or tilt?
Its stiff enough that it stays where want it. But you can still move it. I do prefer bipods that don't pan and have the ability to lock the cant. That being said I still like the MTNGear bipod. For being so lite I'm willing to compromise some features.

Its stiff enough that it stays where want it. But you can still move it. I do prefer bipods that don't pan and have the ability to lock the cant. That being said I still like the MTNGear bipod. For being so lite I'm willing to compromise some features.
Yeah for sure. Thats a ton of height adjustment and super light weight.

That may be true for some of their models. But I 100% wouldn’t trust this mount.

Attachments

• 0FDCC9B5-1D49-4997-AC81-8979492D124B.png
    0FDCC9B5-1D49-4997-AC81-8979492D124B.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
That may be true for some of their models. But I 100% wouldn’t trust this mount.
What about that mount makes it not trustworthy?

The main thing I see is, why would you put 3oz rail, on a lite rifle, when .2oz sling swivel could hold a bipod. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reactions: Lucreau
Harris for the money, easy.

Abused the shit out of them for years and never busted one when it counted. Maybe not fancy, not newest/latest but they get it done for under $100.

Honestly use the more expensive shit on much, much heavier rifles where the loading becomes and issue and breakage can be a problem. But for AR's and most bolt guns, Harris gets it done and takes loading well enough.
What about that mount makes it not trustworthy?

The main thing I see is, why would you put 3oz rail, on a lite rifle, when .2oz sling swivel could hold a bipod. 🤣 🤣 🤣
Right? If it's there, use it. I've installed those for that sole purpose before.

Dang man, that looks really awesome for a hunting bipod. Wish they had a mount system that would allow for pic rail or arca pieces to go on there but for only hunting that looks like the best

Link for the lazy
@BuildingConceptsllc - here's a review that covers some positive and negative aspects: https://goodblokes.nz/backlanz-detachable-bipod-the-battle-of-the-lightweight-bipods/

I like the attachment method for the javelin. It takes the weight complete off your sling, but also give you something else to carry around and keep track of.
The Javelin has a fair bit of play, in great part due to that attachment method.

I've used mine a fair bit (a few hundred rounds) and have a love/hate relationship with it. Pros: it's so light you'd never leave it behind; I tend to follow Jeff Cooper and Chris Way, in thinking that every rifle in the field can benefit from having a 'kickstand', and there are some shots where a dedicated bipod is the way to go.

On the other hand, the amount of play in mine means a measurable lack of precision compared to some other options. I think it's an okay compromise if you have some error budget (eg largish animals and shorter ranges).

However, I'm now experimenting with the Tier One Evolution Bipod - not the Tactical model, referenced above, but the heavier version which has the bipod apex over the barrel. Far more stable than the Javelin hunter options, and better for recoil management. Still fairly reasonable for weight for a field bipod, but it's not an ultralight.

At this stage, it's looking like the best compromise for something that can aid with recoil management, and assist with greater precision for longer shots.

The Javelin has a fair bit of play, in great part due to that attachment method.

I've used mine a fair bit (a few hundred rounds) and have a love/hate relationship with it. Pros: it's so light you'd never leave it behind; I tend to follow Jeff Cooper and Chris Way, in thinking that every rifle in the field can benefit from having a 'kickstand', and there are some shots where a dedicated bipod is the way to go.

On the other hand, the amount of play in mine means a measurable lack of precision compared to some other options. I think it's an okay compromise if you have some error budget (eg largish animals and shorter ranges).

However, I'm now experimenting with the Tier One Evolution Bipod - not the Tactical model, referenced above, but the heavier version which has the bipod apex over the barrel. Far more stable than the Javelin hunter options, and better for recoil management. Still fairly reasonable for weight for a field bipod, but it's not an ultralight.

At this stage, it's looking like the best compromise for something that can aid with recoil management, and assist with greater precision for longer shots.
At 15.5oz The Tier one evolution fails to be light.

If you end up with one, throw a report up on here, I'm interested in one as well. I don't have an Atlas CAL yet (completely different category I know) so just ordered one of those, but MTN gear is high on my list of ultralight gear.

If you end up with one, throw a report up on here, I'm interested in one as well. I don't have an Atlas CAL yet (completely different category I know) so just ordered one of those, but MTN gear is high on my list of ultralight gear.
i'll probably order one in a month or two for my new XLR/Ti3 NRL Hunter and hunting build

Reactions: kabarNC
Usage question on the super light bipods:

I live/hunt/etc mostly in the east. Grass/weeds/etc usually make it hard for me to often find prone shots. I've found a tripod (or even shooting sticks, monopod, etc) to be much more flexible as a shooting aid - to the point that I haven't ran a bipod on anything but heavy rifles for a long time now. That's not even getting into using a tripod for glassing and such.

You guys running these cool lightweight bipods... are you also running a tripod in conjunction? Are you foregoing a tripod specifically due to weight? What's the use case where having a bipod in the field really shines?

Usage question on the super light bipods:

I live/hunt/etc mostly in the east. Grass/weeds/etc usually make it hard for me to often find prone shots. I've found a tripod (or even shooting sticks, monopod, etc) to be much more flexible as a shooting aid - to the point that I haven't ran a bipod on anything but heavy rifles for a long time now. That's not even getting into using a tripod for glassing and such.

You guys running these cool lightweight bipods... are you also running a tripod in conjunction? Are you foregoing a tripod specifically due to weight? What's the use case where having a bipod in the field really shines?
tripod for glassing kinda mandatory

but thats kinda the point of these lightweight setups. if i can get prone i will. and a 5oz bipod is a hell of a lot better to have as a just in case than 13oz atlas/harris. or if you compare the MTN Gear to a Ckye double pull like 20oz weight difference

also 5oz versus 20oz+ is a big difference on a NRL Hunter gun