• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LIVE: Returning to the Moon with ARTEMIS. LAUNCH RESCHEDULED FOR SEPTEMBER 5, 2022 AT 5:00 PM

Armstrong should of yelled Oh my God what is that thing when he stepped on to the surface of the moon
I believe that the astronauts joked about doing that. And shutting off the radio right after yelling it.

Would have been the greatest troll in history!!!

Sirhr

Now imagine the guys who did this 50+ years ago, without computers.

Saturn V--still the king! (140 tons in LEO!)
Saturn v definitely had some computers.
3949EDEE-01DA-4091-86D9-3EBE1022CBEE.jpeg
691D4EE7-098E-467F-B484-E4E02050280E.jpeg

Last edited:
Not-for-nothing, and as I've said before..... anyone interested in "how things were done back then" should watch the movie "Hidden Figures".

"Based on a true story" but I won't get in to how true or factual 'this or that' is..... it is a good watch.

Reactions: lash
I think I am correct in saying that a first generation iPhone contained more compting power than used in the entire Apollo program.

But, yes, there were computers. Mostly made by IBM. Simple and analog.

Shuttle used AP101 computers developed for the B1 Bomber program. They were called AP101S (for space). And the only difference was insertion of gold foil into the housings to protect against radiation/cosmic rays. By the end of the Shuttle program, NASA (actually the 'launch Consortium' company) engineers were scouring eBay to buy old computers/boards to get chips to keep some of the computers alive. They were so outdated that eBay and electronic junk flea markets were the only sources.

Don't forget that most of Apollo along with all of Mercury and Gemini... was done with slide rules.

Sirhr

Not-for-nothing, and as I've said before..... anyone interested in "how things were done back then" should watch the movie "Hidden Figures".

"Based on a true story" but I won't get in to how true or factual 'this or that' is..... it is a good watch.
The movie is based on Margot Shetterly (sp?)'s book. Which is really excellent. She wasn't an historian but worked in the Dot Com boom and in banking. Her dad worked for NASA.

The movie is ok but full of Hollywood woke.

The reality is so much cooler than the movie.

Remember, that "Computers" came from the term given to the (mostly) women who sat in long rows during the early electromechanical revolution in mechanical 'calculating engines.' Mainly things called Hollerith machines. Mostly, again, IBM-made. But first used on some of the big battleship gun directors. In order to 'create' these directors, all controlled with gears and wheels, all the 'calculations' ha to be made again and again and verified... then turned into gears and cogs and cams. The women who did most of these calculations had the title "Computer."

So the electric 'transistorized' machines that took over from them were... computers.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: lash
AUGUST 16, 2022

Almost half a century after mankind's ultimate mastery over fire came in the form of five titantic Rocketdyne F-1 engines turning 3000 gallons of kerosene and liquid oxygen into 7 million pounds of thrust every second, propelling the 38 story high Saturn V rocket and the Lunar Exploration Vehicle on to the surface of another planet and into the pages of mankind's ultimate scientific accomplishments, NASA is preparing to meet and exceed these same records with their new monster SLS (Space Launch System).

Consisting of a massive main core powered by 4 Rocketdyne RS-25 space shuttle engines fueled by liquid hydrogen and oxygen and two SRBs (solid rocket boosters) generating a whopping 11.6 million pounds of maximum achievable thrust, the SLS module is at the forefront of NASA's operation to put US astronauts back onto the moon with a single launch. The SLS is also capable of carrying more than twice the amount of payload as NASA's current heavy lifter single rocket, the Antares, and will likely be the primary tool for future Earth orbit station and vehicle construction for further missions into interplanetary and even interstellar space.

LIVE: ARTEMIS ROLLOUT TO LAUNCHPAD FROM VEHICLE ASSEMBLY BUILDING AT CAPE CANAVERAL, FL:

ARTEMIS FIRST LAUNCH SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 29, 2022 5:30AM EST. FOLLOW HERE:
-------------------------

MORE ARTEMIS INFORMATION AND TEST FOOTAGE:

ARTEMIS SOLID BOOSTER TESTING: UTAH:

ARTEMIS 4XRS-25 CORE HOT FIRE SUSTAINED TEST: "The Cloudmaker". "Scientific naysayers, WE GONNA RAIN ON YO' PARADE, YO!"

MORE HOT FIRE CORE TEST WITH NASA ENGINEER INTERVIEWS:

SLS: THE SPACE ELEVATOR 11.6 million pounds of thrust and 500 seconds of firing just to get everything above the bubble of air that we live in, and in orbit is when the REAL adventure and heavy lifting begins:

2560px-Realistic_Artemis_3_mission_diagram_labeled.png

SLSArtemis1_on_39B2.jpg

block_1_crew_expanded_rev30.png

INTERPLANETARY: Artist's rendition of the fully deployed Artemis Lunar vehicle ready to embark on the 2 day journey to the Moon:

file-20210225-17-c9by5j.png

Thread will be updated CONSTANTLY as the Artemis project continues to mature and progress.

I am very proud to have played my microscopically tiny but important part in making this happen.

Also for those arguing about it, 2 light bulbs equipped with power switches is technically something that can be used as a digital computer. It's not a very useful computer but it's all you need to count from 0 to 3 and it's already capable of being used for binary addition/subtraction/multiplication/division. Every time you add another light bulb and switch into the array you double the "power" of the computer. After that it's just about making things smaller and requiring gradually less human effort to flip the switches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I think I am correct in saying that a first generation iPhone contained more compting power than used in the entire Apollo program.

Shuttle used AP101 computers developed for the B1 Bomber program. They were called AP101S (for space). And the only difference was insertion of gold foil into the housings to protect against radiation/cosmic rays. By the end of the Shuttle program, NASA (actually the 'launch Consortium' company) engineers were scouring eBay to buy old computers/boards to get chips to keep some of the computers alive. They were so outdated that eBay and electronic junk flea markets were the only sources.

Don't forget that most of Apollo along with all of Mercury and Gemini... was done with slide rules.

Sirhr
Still have my Log Log Deci Log slip stick,

I believe the computers in the lunar lander were 8 bit. They had as much computing power as an OG Nintendo.

I plan on being in Titusville tomorrow .

I’ll watch from 30 miles away. It’s still very impressive and less likely to damage my hearing and good vibes, when I don’t deal with the over 100,000 people that will be there watching.

Cheers! 🥃

Last edited:
My grand mother worked for NASA and was involved in vibration and g testing circuit boards.

She is 90 now and every now and then flips out her old ID card...
Oh the jokes...

Sirhr
And I still have mine although I likely can't remember how to use it

Watching some of the press briefings this morning. It's so riddled with buzzwords like 'Sustainable' and BIOPIC.... that it's just sickening. None of this focuses on science... it's all about "We are sending the first woman and person of color to the moon.'

Endless.... All they talk about is how 'all our astronauts are brown or women!"

Really? Hey folks... these are some of the most accomplishe humans on the planet. Johnny Kim who is going to go on Artemis.... Seal, Doctor, Combat medic, Summa Cum Laude everywhere... Silver Star, Bronze Star, tons of decorations... incredible human being. More accomplished than any ten normal people.

And all NASA's woke press morons keep talking about is "He is colored!"

How damn insulting is that? You busted your balls your whole life, probably like every other astronaut, but the only thing they 'promote' you on is because you are swarthier than anyone else... or have tits. That's all that matters to the NASA administration. Which is all political wokies.

I sure hope they didn't choose all the engineers and ground team, etc. because they are brown or yellow or mammary-enabled. I hope they chose the best of the best of the best. Because if they didn't, one of these EEOC wonders will fuck up a seal or a tile or a fueling hose because they were incompetent at their job (which was not being.... brown) and the whole thing will turn into an aluminum shower.

I don't wish that on any crew. But NASA better make damn sure they focus on science.... and by that I don't mean eugenics. Because that seems to be their 'science' of the day. And we know how that ended. Oh and, of course, green. Must have green rockets.

Disgusted. I just wanted to see a cool new rocket launch, not listen to lessons on why Brown is better.

Sirhr

Watching some of the press briefings this morning. It's so riddled with buzzwords like 'Sustainable' and BIOPIC.... that it's just sickening. None of this focuses on science... it's all about "We are sending the first woman and person of color to the moon.'

Really? Hey folks... these are some of the most accomplishe humans on the planet. Johnny Kim who is going to go on Artemis.... Seal, Doctor, Combat medic, Summa Cum Laude everywhere... Silver Star, Bronze Star, tons of decorations... incredible human being. More accomplished than any ten normal people.

How damn insulting is that? You busted your balls your whole life, probably like every other astronaut, but the only thing they 'promote' you on is because you are swarthier than anyone else... or have tits. That's all that matters to the NASA administration. Which is all political wokies.

I sure hope they didn't choose all the engineers and ground team, etc. because they are brown or yellow or mammary-enabled. I hope they chose the best of the best of the best. Because if they didn't, one of these EEOC wonders will fuck up a seal or a tile or a fueling hose because they were incompetent at their job (which was not being.... brown) and the whole thing will turn into an aluminum shower.

I don't wish that on any crew. But NASA better make damn sure they focus on science.... and by that I don't mean eugenics. Because that seems to be their 'science' of the day. And we know how that ended. Oh and, of course, green. Must have green rockets.

Disgusted. I just wanted to see a cool new rocket launch, not listen to lessons on why Brown is better.

Sirhr

This right here. That woke shit gotta go. All of it. They need to realize that a 90 million dollar movie (Batgirl) had been completely scrapped because the screening audience got so tired of the woke nonsense they viciously trolled the producers into a sense of absolute dejection and defeat. Wokeness and leftism-simping has been the downfall of many things now and it is gonna end the human race itself if it is not controlled.

Just can't get into the Artemis program. We are sending this rocket that has taken 3 decades to build just to go around the moon? Not even land on it? Still using old tech as most of the rocket is thrown away? The capsule looks like its from the 60s still. I guess I'll start paying more attention to it when Starship is up and operational.

Decades to build and billions of dollars to fund and it don’t work to do something that’s already been done . What a commentary on the FUSA.

I heard this is the most powerful rocket ever built, capable of putting 100K lbs of cargo into LEO.
Also, this was just a test missing for the platform to see if they could launch and eventually land the human module safely back on earth.

Having said that, I'm surprised SpaceX hasn't already done this themselves. Would be a good first step to prove towards their mars mission.

This is the most powerful rocket ever built, produces nearly 9,000,000 ftlbs of thrust! The moon is first, possibly mars assuming funds last.

72970476-A531-455E-93AC-E9D80231D7E1.png

I heard this is the most powerful rocket ever built, capable of putting 100K lbs of cargo into LEO.
Also, this was just a test missing for the platform to see if they could launch and eventually land the human module safely back on earth.

Having said that, I'm surprised SpaceX hasn't already done this themselves. Would be a good first step to prove towards their mars mission.
By the end of year Starship should reach orbit and should have around 16 million lbs of thrust....

Sirhr
Awards, accolades, and accomplishments are all white man's words. You can't be saddling a man of color with all of that. Think of the little minority kids looking up to him. If they just see a minority man, that is one thing. It is quite another to see a Seal/combatmedic/doctor/summacumlaude/silverstar/bronzestar/incrediblehumanbeing. It would crush their little souls. Am I the only one that remembers this?

Then again, Kim is asian- which hardly qualifies as a minority anyway...

Let me summarize my interest in the space program

"I wanna go fast"

--AND--

"Thats a great idea, now what if we made it 200% more powerful"

Astronauts? "Spam in a Can" these days. Computers took over for Apollo and STS.

I admire the efforts but I have to admit that this is a little underwhelming and doesnt say much for us if this is the best we can do after 53 years since the first mission to the moon. I mean think about it, we should have incredible advancements in that amount of time, yet we don’t.

I admire the efforts but I have to admit that this is a little underwhelming and doesnt say much for us if this is the best we can do after 53 years since the first mission to the moon. I mean think about it, we should have incredible advancements in that amount of time, yet we don’t.
Gun powder was invented in the 9th century, the metallic cartridge was invented in 1845, and smokeless powder was invented in 1884. 1.5 to 2 centuries later and we are still using the same basic tech.

I don't think comparing accomplishments is nearly as impressive as comparing how the accomplishments were/are achieved. I think that if you did a system by system breakdown between Apollo and Artemis you would see major advancements that are hidden by the overall banner of "mission to the moon."

Gun powder was invented in the 9th century, the metallic cartridge was invented in 1845, and smokeless powder was invented in 1884. 1.5 to 2 centuries later and we are still using the same basic tech.

I don't think comparing accomplishments is nearly as impressive as comparing how the accomplishments were/are achieved. I think that if you did a system by system breakdown between Apollo and Artemis you would see major advancements that are hidden by the overall banner of "mission to the moon."
Look how far we’ve come from the civil war to present times. Night and day difference in almost every aspect of life. That wasn’t that long ago. We advanced leaps and bounds more in the last 100 years than the thousands of years of human civilization preceding that. Comparably it just seems like we should be farther along. Are we better off than we were 50 years ago? Absolutely. It just seems like we should be even farther. Unless we have hit the apex of advancement. I do not believe that to be the case tho. I’ll chalk it up to decades of inactivity in this arena..

PS...you’ll never advance if you keep accepting good enough.

Look how far we’ve come from the civil war to present times. Night and day difference in almost every aspect of life. That wasn’t that long ago. We advanced leaps and bounds more in the last 100 years than the thousands of years of human evolution preceding that. Comparably it just seems like we should be farther along. Are we better off than we were 50 years ago? Absolutely. It just seems like we should be even farther. Unless we have hit the apex of advancement. I do not believe that to be the case tho. I’ll chalk it up to decades of inactivity in this arena..
I’m replying on a phone that fits in my pocket, via wifi access in my home, to a post made on the internet by someone that I don’t know, that very well could live in another state; and all of this communication occurs nearly instantaneously. The phone represents more in silico computational power than was employed by the entire Apollo program. I’m just addressing computation resources, but you are saying that advancements have been lacking?

Your argument is essentially “both Apollo and Artemis use rockets to achieve a successful mission to the moon, therefore this just ‘new day, same channel.’

• Haha
Reactions: SilentStalkr
I’ll chalk it up to decades of inactivity in this arena..
I believe that this is the primary reason right here. Without a driving force and some kind of real commitment and goal in mind, anything would get stagnant. That’s where the discussion comes back to capitalism, greed and availability of natural resources, and where it comes into play.

Two of the biggest drivers of technological advancement ever have been war and greed. Prove otherwise…

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I’m replying on a phone that fits in my pocket, via wifi access in my home, to a post made on the internet by someone that I don’t know, that very well could live in another state; and all of this communication occurs nearly instantaneously. The phone represents more in silico computational power than was employed by the entire Apollo program. I’m just addressing computation resources, but you are saying that advancements have been lacking?

Your argument is essentially “both Apollo and Artemis use rockets to achieve a successful mission to the moon, therefore this just ‘new day, same channel.’
Well...when you put it like that!

I believe that this is the primary reason right here. Without a driving force and some kind of real commitment and goal in mind, anything would get stagnant. That’s where the discussion comes back to capitalism, greed and availability of natural resources, and where it comes into play.

Two of the biggest drivers of technological advancement ever have been war and greed. Prove otherwise…
There we go. Now just think if we all pooled our resources across the globe to a common goal! It won’t ever happen, which is sad, but if it did...better hold on. I will also admit that a lot of modern day advancements came out of the NASA program. I’m just saying it doesn’t seem as if we are advancing at the same pace, if that makes sense. On the other hand, where we are with the current state of things, I’m not sure I want to see more advancement.